Possible Solution To Lag, Freezing In Skyrim PS3

Wade_VC

Bethesda has already released a patch, and they'll soon release another, which will hopefully solve all the freezing and lag issues reported by those playing the PlayStation 3 version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

But if you don't want to wait for the new patch, or you're not convinced it's gonna work well,Reddit might have the answer. Maybe you can save your controller and your sanity: just disable the auto-save option and delete all corrupt saved data. Here are the comments:

"Just trying to help everyone know. I can finally play this game again. My file size was 13 MB after 140 hours clocked (granted, I have the bad habit of leaving my PS3 on while not playing) and it got to the point where the game would actually just freeze up without fail if I tried to wait, sleep, load a new area, or just leave my character idle. I was afraid it would f**k up my ps3, so I stopped playing for 2 days, until I read a few comments on various forums."

The solution? Well, it's pretty straightforward, actually.

"First, before you start the game, make sure all corrupted files are removed. From the XMB go to the Game menu, and scroll up to Saved Data Utility (PS3), from there you should be able to see files simply labeled 'Corrupted File,' delete that sh**. Then load up Skyrim. Go to system options, then settings, then gameplay, and make sure to disable all 5 auto-save options."

Just remember, if you do this, save often. No joke. You know it's no joke. It would really suck to forget that the game isn't saving squat, play for three hours, and lose all your progress when you die. But anyway, maybe this will help those having problems.

Source: PSXe

• Like 2

I can only find 4 Auto Save option.

1. Save on Rest

2. Save on Wait

3. Save on Travel

4. Save on Character menu.

What is the 5 auto save option?

Disabling all "5" options doesn't make much of a difference than disabling say 3. I've had all auto-save functions disabled except save on travel and save on character menu (15 minutes) for weeks and it does make a slight difference.

What if I don't have any corrupted data?

I went through my saves anyways (had about 50 manual saves accumulated) and deleted all but the very first one and my last few. I've disabled all autosaves except on travel, since they are typically the ones I fall back on in a dire situation anyways. Hopefully that all helps me avoid the lag plague later on.

What if I don't have any corrupted data?

I went through my saves anyways (had about 50 manual saves accumulated) and deleted all but the very first one and my last few. I've disabled all autosaves except on travel, since they are typically the ones I fall back on in a dire situation anyways. Hopefully that all helps me avoid the lag plague later on.

I delete all my files expect the one with Aluin fight, Viki and my latest

After I am done with my gaming session, I delete everything except for my most recent manual save, and the most recent Auto save.

I was curious as to how many tried these tips, and did you see any improvements by doing so?

As for me, although we still need a patch to fix some things, this little trick at least makes my game playable. I still lock-up every now and then, but nothing like what it did prior to turning off all the Automatic saves. Still a little laggy at times, but for the most part, these tips have helped until we get a proper fix.