Questions about a Wii

Viper

So I just bought a Wii recently, just came in today. I got one of the black Wii's that are BC with GameCube...got it mostly to play GCN games. Anyways, the Wii is in great shape, works fine for the most part but I have a couple issues and since I'm not well versed in the Wii, I was hoping someone could help me out here. 

So first thing is, the disc drive works fine...it plays my Wii and GCN games, except one...my copy of WWE Day of Reckoning won't work. The Wii keep giving me a disc read error, but it doesn't even try for very long. The disc isn't in perfect shape and has one long scratch on it, but it's not so bad that it shouldn't be able to be read. I've torn the Wii down to clean it, and to my surprise it was pretty much dust free inside...but I wiped the laser off with some alcohol just in case, and it still won't read the disc. But the bigger concern is that when I hit eject, it spits my discs out all the way (instead of catching it like most drives do), then continues to make the eject noise for about another 15 or so seconds after I've removed it. Is this normal, and if not does anyone know of a fix? 

Secondly, the seller provided a couple Wii Motion Plus controller with rechargeable batteries and a charging dock that weren't even in the listing (the listing showed a regular white Wiimote and a black Nunchuck). But I'm having a strange issue...when I try using the controller, as soon as you can see the hand pointer on the Wii Menu, it moves for a split second then the controller turns off. This happens every time. It's not dead, since it'll stay on so long as I don't point it at the sensor bar. So I removed the battery pack and put in regular AA batteries and the controller works perfectly fine. So I thought, maybe it was the battery pack...but it stays on just fine if I move all around, but as soon as it hits the sensor bar...off. The battery pack is grey and looks like some cheap third party thing...though I can't find a brand on it. 

Third, I was thinking about Homebrewing the Wii...has anyone else done this? Would you recommend it?

Thanks for the help.

The disc drive problem sounds similar to 2/3 I've had to repair a few years ago - 

If the disc is flying out then there's 2 main causes : firstly the rollers over time will wear down and the grippers won't catch it which will cause the disc to fly out fast and the Wii keeps ejecting thinking the disc is still half out. 

The second cause is above the actual drive itself is a 2 pronged arm with 2 small screws and when that loosens or becomes slightly bent upward (the metal is small and fragile) then it won't grip the disc but will still read on the laser. Obviously since its not gripping when the eject mechanism kicks in it will throw it out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terra said:

I think it’s defective. I would return it (if possible) and buy another one. (Or sell it for parts)

It's mostly a positive experience here...it's just these weird quirks. The Wii is fine for the most part, I wouldn't need to sell it for parts.

11 minutes ago, squaresoft4ever7 said:

Out of curiosity did you happen to buy this from DKOldies? 

Lord Jebus no...I'd have to sell a kidney on the black market just to buy a Wii from them. Besides, didn't you read the part where I said it was clean inside? If I got it from DKOldies it'd be drowning in dust lol. I got it from eBay. 

2 minutes ago, MushuMixLipa said:

The disc drive problem sounds similar to 2/3 I've had to repair a few years ago - 

If the disc is flying out then there's 2 main causes : firstly the rollers over time will wear down and the grippers won't catch it which will cause the disc to fly out fast and the Wii keeps ejecting thinking the disc is still half out. 

The second cause is above the actual drive itself is a 2 pronged arm with 2 small screws and when that loosens or becomes slightly bent upward (the metal is small and fragile) then it won't grip the disc but will still read on the laser. Obviously since its not gripping when the eject mechanism kicks in it will throw it out. 

I see, I'll have to take it apart again and look. I saw the arms you mentioned...but they looked fine, but I'll give it a closer look. Unless it just can't be fixed?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I see, I'll have to take it apart again and look. I saw the arms you mentioned...but they looked fine, but I'll give it a closer look. Unless it just can't be fixed?

Even if the screws are like a 1/8" of a turn out of kilter it can cause a lot of movement, if you need to place something like a book or a few game cases on top for half hour and it'll straighten it it out aswell. It's a fairly easy fix just be careful because the arms are really flimsy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Lord Jebus no...I'd have to sell a kidney on the black market just to buy a Wii from them. Besides, didn't you read the part where I said it was clean inside? If I got it from DKOldies it'd be drowning in dust lol. I got it from eBay. 

Haha that is true ? I've seen videos online about their faulty products.  eBay is sometimes hit and miss even when you buy from a 99+ seller.