Triple XP Unpatched issues...

b_rian247

I'm going for the lvl 50 online trophy and I wanted to try the triple XP Lan method, but it doesn't work for me. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have the original disc version of the game (not GOTY). I followed all steps I found online: uninstalled the game data (not save data), declined the 1.08 update when starting the game, launched single player and then selected Multiplayer > LAN from the menu (I have my PS3 connected to my laptop via Ethernet).

I'm doing the Pike's Basin hideout but can only get around of 2,100- 2,400 XP. I can complete an optimum run of about 5:30 minutes with a kill chain of 15 at the beginning. I understand that the hideout usually only gives about 1,800 XP patched, but I saw an older video on YouTube where someone got 5,800 XP triple

On 4/10/2023 at 10:59 AM, b_rian247 said:

I'm going for the lvl 50 online trophy and I wanted to try the triple XP Lan method, but it doesn't work for me. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have the original disc version of the game (not GOTY). I followed all steps I found online: uninstalled the game data (not save data), declined the 1.08 update when starting the game, launched single player and then selected Multiplayer > LAN from the menu (I have my PS3 connected to my laptop via Ethernet).

I'm doing the Pike's Basin hideout but can only get around of 2,100- 2,400 XP. I can complete an optimum run of about 5:30 minutes with a kill chain of 15 at the beginning. I understand that the hideout usually only gives about 1,800 XP patched, but I saw an older video on YouTube where someone got 5,800 XP triple

5,800 is insane! That would def get you to level 50 in no time lol. If you do Solomon's Folly, you can clear the hideout in 2+ mins and get around 2,000+ XP per run if you chain every single kill in the hideout (around 25 kills IIRC).

So in about the same amount of time as you'd do Pike's basin, you can get 4,000 XP.

It’s been ages since I did this so I can’t remember exactly what the issue was, but I had some trouble with the triple XP as well. I ended up doing the simplified 2x LAN instead which is super easy to do and doesn’t require any complicated steps or messing with patches or whatnot. See Someonenew’s comments at the bottom of this thread here.

Also just to be sure, are you 100% sure you are not getting the bonus XP?

Like he mentions in that post, the game doesn’t actually display the extra XP on screen the way it should normally, but you can double check you’re earning it by checking the XP bar at the bottom of the screen:

A warning, the game extra XP doesn't appear on the stat table when holding the D-pad down button, but it appears at XP count on the multiplayer tab on the start menu and on the XP bar that appears in the below part of the screen.

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s been ages since I did this so I can’t remember exactly what the issue was, but I had some trouble with the triple XP as well. I ended up doing the simplified 2x LAN instead which is super easy to do and doesn’t require any complicated steps or messing with patches or whatnot. See Someonenew’s comments at the bottom of this thread here.

Also just to be sure, are you 100% sure you are not getting the bonus XP?

Like he mentions in that post, the game doesn’t actually display the extra XP on screen the way it should normally, but you can double check you’re earning it by checking the XP bar at the bottom of the screen:

I am getting extra XP, just not triple. I did some testing and found that with the latest patch I could only get a max of 1,900 at Pike's Basin, but without the patch I could get around 2,300-2,400. And that's what showed at the end of the match as well as the XP gain at the bottom of the screen. I've given up on triple XP though.

Thanks for pointing out the Solomon's Folly exploit though. It's much faster than Pike's Basin.

Edited by b_rian247

• 1 year later...

I've been trying this myself and noticing it's also not triple. I think what happened is, "triple" XP is kind of a misnomer. XP was nerfed by Rockstar in patches, but I don't think it was the same across the board. Doing Twin Pikes and Solomon's Folly without the patch gets you a LOT more XP than you would with the patch, but Pike's Basin may not have been hit as hard. I can't find any old videos of people getting crazy XP at Pike's Basin prior to the patch.