Platinum in one playthrough

olivetheturtle

I saw that almost every guide said that two full playthroughs were recommended or required, but I wanted to share how I did it in one (with a back-up save).

1. Play your no alcohol, no vehicles-and no guns playthrough as normal up until you reach the final campfire of the game, where the Marshmallow trophy will pop.

2. Make a back-up save to the cloud or a USB. Or, one of the additional game save slots. 

3. Complete the game on your original playthrough. You should have all trophies except using the flare gun and shooting the wendingo with the rifle. 

4. Load your back-up save.

5. Go to the final treasure chest and find the flare gun. Fire it to get the second to last trophy.

6. Go back to the final campfire (or reload your back-up save) and grab the rifle on the frozen man to shoot the wendingo. Platinum!

The reloading should take less than 10 minutes, which is much better than a second playthrough. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not to steal your thunder but you can do this without having to create a backup save to the almighty cloud or your lipstick USB.

- Play the game and don't drink booze, stay away from cars like you are allergic, and of course no pew pew pew.

- Do make sure that when you go face 'He who shall not be named' at the Sanctuary you take with you the Rifle with ammo and the Flare gun with ammo

- Now play the ending as normal and finish the game

- The game saves the last 10 or so checkpoints and luckily there is one on your way out at the Cementary so load that one

- Now shoot your flare and then pop one or more into 'He who shall not be named' at the docks right before the end and voila, the last 2 trophies 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2023 at 5:38 AM, JohzyDeMartin said:

Play the game and don't drink booze, stay away from cars like you are allergic, and of course no pew pew pew.

You forgot about the cigarettes for the Pink Lungs trophy. =) So Carl must turn to the healthy lifestyle in the whole run.

OliveTheTurtle - you don't have to skip the last treasure chest with the flare gun. You can have it in your inventory and not use it as it may spoil the Firearms Registry trophy. Getting back to that chest would add unnecessary time to the playthrough. =)

The problem (in my opinion) with the "one run" approach is that walking everywhere takes ages, requires a lot more dependence on survival items, and odds are your completion time for doing it in one run will be more than if you just did one run driving everywhere and then did a second "no cars" run where you only did the minimum required to get it done. To each their own and all that, but having completed the game twice on PS4 and PS5 I seriously doubt it would be faster to try and get everything done in one run plus a checkpoint reload.

On 24/05/2023 at 8:41 PM, Swotam said:

The problem (in my opinion) with the "one run" approach is that walking everywhere takes ages, requires a lot more dependence on survival items, and odds are your completion time for doing it in one run will be more than if you just did one run driving everywhere and then did a second "no cars" run where you only did the minimum required to get it done. To each their own and all that, but having completed the game twice on PS4 and PS5 I seriously doubt it would be faster to try and get everything done in one run plus a checkpoint reload.

The map isn't THAT huge when you think about it. After getting all the fireplaces on the Western side of it and the trophies connected to it you won't lose a lot of time. I did everything in a single run, apart from shooting the boss and using the flare gun (the aforementioned save reload). Even if you forget about something like entering every building (the cabins/shed for instance) it will only take less than 10 minutes to head back from the "ending parts" of the game, before the boss encounter. The caribou coat and the occasional fireplaces decrease the possibility of freezing very well and the wolves aren't a threat when you write down the locations of the steaks and get them whenever given a chance. =)

• Like 1