Back Leveling PS3 Digital Games

jdh0921

Howdy;

Has anyone had success backleveling PS3 digital games without using CFW? I know for PS3 physical you can just stop the download at whatever update you want to stop at, but that doesn't seem to work the same with PS3 digital. Was wanting to test something and so far have had no luck in doing so. I'd like to avoid the CFW route, since I'd like the community to be able to use the solution if it works.  Thank you kindly in advance.

All PlayStation 3 games must be updated manually. It does not matter wether or not it's a retail game or a digital game, this is just how it works. For digital games, all updates and DLC you have for that game are stored with the game itself, instead of being put into the Game Data Utility like with retail titles. Therefore, the way to play an unpatched digital game on PS3 would merely require deleting it and reinstalling it from your Download List, then decline the update.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, blue_blur_98 said:

All PlayStation 3 games must be updated manually. It does not matter wether or not it's a retail game or a digital game, this is just how it works. For digital games, all updates and DLC you have for that game are stored with the game itself, instead of being put into the Game Data Utility like with retail titles. Therefore, the way to play an unpatched digital game on PS3 would merely require deleting it and reinstalling it from your Download List, then decline the update.

This is correct, the problem is I want to apply some updates, but not all. In my case, my game (Frozen Free Fall PS3) is currently at Patch Level 1.05. And I want to play it at Patch Level 1.04. The problem is that PSN only shows 1.05 on the update list, so when you download the game and then update you go from 1.00 to 1.05. I know this is doable, and I'm fairly confident I can do it. I've already installed version 1.02 of this game. The problem is, I can't for the life of me find the link to the 1.04 version of the game. That's the bugger of the whole thing.

On 10/05/2023 at 4:00 AM, blue_blur_98 said:

A few come pre patched now. I think they update a few games to include the patch because a lot of my recent downloads no longer have updates. It just says update 1.00. I think this is for some of the Essential games, Far Cry 2 for example. 

A lot of physical games come pre patched and there's nothing you can do to uninstall the update. This for stuff like GOTY Editions, Essentials, Platinum Editions, Greatest Hits etc. Also some games have other versions like GT5 where each one has a different pre installed patch. This can actually be beneficial in some cases I think. 

Edited by GUDGER666
  • Like 1