Maximum number of saves on PS Plus

Camokidd87

Must admit, I wasn't aware of the paltry file limit. Currently at 876 myself (only 6.29 GB), so I'll be reaching it soon enough—sucks, since I always hated deleting saves. At least double it, Sony!

Still got 'em on a USB, of course, but I like having redundancy.

I've been pestering Sony to increase this limited for ages, even if they up it to around 5,000, nobody will ever hit the 100GB still.

I believe the PS5 will also have this limit - as they like having limits, but nobody has hit it yet so they've said nothing - I only have around 600 PS5 games, so I'm not quite there yet.

However, they've changed the saving process. On the PS4, games have multiple files - ones for each save slot, settings, a config, maybe one to unlock the DLCs, etc... all of them count as individual files - so you may hit the 1,000 unit limit with only a few hundred games (or less!). But, PS5 games bundle all files into one package. This is both good and bad - it's good because you literally have one 'save' file per game, rather than multiple, but it's also bad because it means you can't delete individual files unless the game specifically lets you!

Why is that an issue? Observer - this game makes a save every chapter to work as a chapter select. However, by the end of the game the save file is now over 1.5GB and you can't delete the individual saves, so you've wasted 1.5GB of storage space when the devs could have easily just created a chapter select which would have used up zero space. The fact you can't delete the saves also means subsequent playthroughs cause the file to grow. There is a 2GB limit though, so it does start overwriting old saves, anything that hits 2GB will begin to have save issues and cause severe performance issues - look at PowerWash Simulator!

The reason why I think there 'may' still be a limit is that - for example - you can't install more than 1,000 games externally or internally to the PS5. Once you hit 1,000 games on a USB drive, it'll say there's a problem as you 'queue' is too big. Same with internally. I know it's rare anyone will have 1,000 installed (I do), but it shows they like limits. Up until a few months after the PS5 launched, the 'new' website also only showed 1,000 items in your purchase history (library) on the PSN website. This was an issue as I had over 3,000 games at the time, so I had to complain until they unlocked it and allowed me to actually see and download the games I own.

The save file limit is stupid, but there's no forum or way to actually express these issues with Sony. 

• Like 3