Private Match Settings in Public Glitch

baboon_overlord

Hi everyone,

OK, so Crysis 3 has been on my to-do list since I recently discovered I can play FPS games without feeling ill, but with the coming server closure I'm trying to get everything done as fast as possible. I only found out about the closure on the 9th of this month and we could only start today.

I was aware of the glitch that allowed you to get private match settings in public matches on the XBox for some time, I read about it here:

https://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=1324303

But with all due respect to the person who made the video and the OP in that thread, the video is a rambling mess that goes on for about an hour.

The aim of this method was to be able to do almost everything with just two people.

I saw that, just by sheer coincidence, the thread had been updated today by user "The Cherished":

I found this very easy to do, I almost think the OP's video makes it more complicated than it needs to be. What I did to get this to consistently work:

1. Go into Quick Match and select the game type you want to play. Let it load for a second and back out
2. Go into Private Match and then IMMEDIATELY press B to back out, quickly press up to select Quick Match and press A. It'll remember your previous selection and if you're fast enough with your button pressing the glitch should have worked and you'll see the Private Match options for your Public Quick Match

This was way better than the video. [B = Circle and A = X on PS3]

I tried this just now and got it to work almost immediately - I had almost all the private match options in a public game. You have to be very fast on the part where you go from private game to back into the public: to be clear - X in, then Circle out of private game, up then X and X: all extremely quickly

However, the game still looks for six players, not two like it apparently does on XBox.

This wouldn't be an issue if we could more easily get the map we want, and ideally avoid randoms, who are especially egregious in this game. They lurk all day waiting for players, and most of them have infinite health cheats enabled (three of us shooting one guy who doesn't die and then kills us all, his stats in the death replay are Armour = 000 and Health = 000). [I legit have no issues with people who want to play the game properly before the servers close, but this isn't that]

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else knew about this glitch and maybe had gotten it to a further stage than I have managed to on PS3?

I'll test it tomorrow with my friend and our alts, maybe if we have six in a group we can start a game fast enough to skip matchmaking (I have my doubts but will report back about any potential benefits of doing this anyway).

Edit: See replies below. I can't get this to work due to server issues but apparently it works exactly the same as on XBox. Good luck!

Edited by baboon_overlord
No idea how the new forum works :)
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, VI_WI said:

This glitch actually works, but it's slightly different from the Xbox version. I made a short YT video showing how to do it.

https://youtu.be/cy_SKdOmXAc

Cool, thanks for the video!

It's a shame there's no audio on your video as some commentary would have been helpful. 

I tried everything I could think of but as soon as someone else came into the lobby, it just went back to normal.

I just replicated your method perfectly and had the same problem, as soon as my alt joins, everything reverts to normal. Am I missing something?

You can form a squad with your alternate account before your main account triggers the glitch. Alternatively, you can simply join your main account once the game starts.

If you want to select the map, when you select Start Match, you have about 3 seconds to change the map by pressing R1/L1. The order is the same as the selection in private matches.

For example, if you want "Central Cavern" but the options are between "Airport"  or "Museum" you'll need to press R1 three times if it's "Airport" and L1 four times if it's "Museum".

Figure out how many times you need to press the buttons depending on whether you own the DLC maps or not.

In "Developer's Choice" mode, you will always get "Hell's Kitchen" or "Skyline" . It's easier this way if you want to avoid surprises. The DLC maps are part of the rotation. (You won't be able to complete trophies that involve picking up items.)

Maps list :

Spoiler

1. Airport
  2. Brooklyn Bridge
  3. Financial District
  4. Central Cavern
  5. East River
  6. Hydro Dam
  7. Penn Depot
  8. Museum
  9. Skyline
  10. Hell's Kitchen
  11. Chinatown
  12. Williamsburg Dock
  13. Crossing
  14. Coastline
  15. Creek
  16. Ascent

Edited by Waraneasy
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Waraneasy said:

You can form a squad with your alternate account before your main account triggers the glitch. Alternatively, you can simply join your main account once the game starts.

If you want to select the map, when you select Start Match, you have about 3 seconds to change the map by pressing R1/L1. The order is the same as the selection in private matches.

For example, if you want "Central Cavern" but the options are between "Airport"  or "Museum" you'll need to press R1 three times if it's "Airport" and L1 four times if it's "Museum".

Figure out how many times you need to press the buttons depending on whether you own the DLC maps or not.

In "Developer's Choice" mode, you will always get "Hell's Kitchen" or "Skyline" . It's easier this way if you want to avoid surprises. The DLC maps are part of the rotation. (You won't be able to complete trophies that involve picking up items.)

Maps list :

Hide contents
  1. Airport
  2. Brooklyn Bridge
  3. Financial District
  4. Central Cavern
  5. East River
  6. Hydro Dam
  7. Penn Depot
  8. Museum
  9. Skyline
  10. Hell's Kitchen
  11. Chinatown
  12. Williamsburg Dock
  13. Crossing
  14. Coastline
  15. Creek
  16. Ascent

Wow, fantastic post! I did try having my alt in my squad and it didn't work BUT I have had major issues with the server so it may just be me.

That's good to know, I hope this all helps someone.

I have all the trophies now but I'll let the boosting group I'm in know. I assume that you can get more than two accounts into a squad and play privately as well. i.e. it doesn't have to be just two - is that correct?

Thanks for the extra information.

Actually, I was wrong about the glitch being a bit different from the Xbox version lol. The glitch is exactly as you quoted on the first post so it's not necessary to get into the private lobby as I did on the video. Just Quick Match -> Private Match -> Quick Match should be enough.

7 hours ago, baboon_overlord said:

Cool, thanks for the video!

It's a shame there's no audio on your video as some commentary would have been helpful. 

I tried everything I could think of but as soon as someone else came into the lobby, it just went back to normal.

I just replicated your method perfectly and had the same problem, as soon as my alt joins, everything reverts to normal. Am I missing something?

You can wait until the option to vote for a map and then join with your alt. Or, if that doesn't work, just start the match right away and join with your alt afterwards.

Edited by VI_WI
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:04 AM, VI_WI said:

Actually, I was wrong about the glitch being a bit different from the Xbox version lol. The glitch is exactly as you quoted on the first post so it's not necessary to get into the private lobby as I did on the video. Just Quick Match -> Private Match -> Quick Match should be enough.

You can wait until the option to vote for a map and then join with your alt. Or, if that doesn't work, just start the match right away and join with your alt afterwards.

Thank you very much for the clarification. As I said, I couldn't get it to do anything useful but I have had major issues with the server on this game so it was useless to me, but I am glad to hear it works as expected.. 

This works beautifully. I might be mistaken with the exception, but absolutely everything can be done with just 2 players except for Swept aside (at least this one won't unlock for me but some chatter on other sites refer to killing at least all 3 opposition team members within 60 seconds of activating the radar). 

I have had better success leaving the private session to begin loading for about half a second instead of immediately mashing circle to exit. If you see start match at the top of the more often that not it will work. Once it works once and you don't like the maps, exit out, open private and exit after half a second and try public again.

Be warned that you only get one match and then you should exit lobby. It seems to resist randoms but it doesn't fully block them from joining. But this glitch is fantastic for non-peak times.

Edited by Shady_Wombat
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Shady_Wombat said:

This works beautifully. I might be mistaken with the exception, but absolutely everything can be done with just 2 players except for Swept aside (at least this one won't unlock for me but some chatter on other sites refer to killing at least all 3 opposition team members within 60 seconds of activating the radar). 

I have had better success leaving the private session to begin loading for about half a second instead of immediately mashing circle to exit. If you see start match at the top of the more often that not it will work. Once it works once and you don't like the maps, exit out, open private and exit after half a second and try public again.

Be warned that you only get one match and then you should exit lobby. It seems to resist randoms but it doesn't fully block them from joining. But this glitch is fantastic for non-peak times.

That's awesome, thank you. 👍

I've been in two minds as to whether to post this or not, but if anyone is having problems with randoms and can't get the glitch to work, try Medley mode. The randoms don't seem to use it and you can play in peace. The downside is you have to constantly look for a game mode and map you want, but the amount of time and frustration you will save verses having to deal with griefing lifers and cheaters is immense.

The problem is I've let the cat out of the bag now, hence I wasn't sure whether to post it here or not. Hopefully it won't be widely known before the server closes down. 

Edited by baboon_overlord

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, martocool said:

I have tried this metod and it does not work for me and I do everything as it show in the video. Is it possible that its because I do not have the DLCs or that the game is digital?

If you are talking about actually making the glitch work, then it should work for you with no issues: it just needs a bit of practice to pull off and you need to be quick.

DLC shouldn't affect anything. I would assume that the digital version is exactly the same as the physical version but can't say for sure as I used two physical versions on two PS3s.

If you mean you can pull of the glitch to get a private lobby but then you can't do anything to start a game with two people: I had that problem so the glitch was useless to me. You can try restarting your router, I had a ridiculous number of problems with the server for this game and I have no idea why.

• Like 1

I think the issue is that I update the HDDs to SSDs on both PS3s as I tried for total more than 2 hours. Fortunatly I manage to find one person to boost the trophies and he is having way more luck than me with the glitch.
I want to thank you for your responce, I was thinking the tread is dead :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martocool said:

I think the issue is that I update the HDDs to SSDs on both PS3s as I tried for total more than 2 hours. Fortunatly I manage to find one person to boost the trophies and he is having way more luck than me with the glitch.
I want to thank you for your responce, I was thinking the tread is dead :D

Hi, I'm glad you are having some success and hope you get everything finished in time. 👍

Yes, I can see how using PS3s with SSDs might cause an issue using the glitch to get into the multiplayer menu with the private match settings. It probably loads to fast to recognise the inputs. My friend had this exact issue with the Aliens vs Predator glitch, it loaded too fast for him to do anything.

As long as the Crysis 3 multiplayer is still playable, I will answer anything I see come in on here, although others on here are much more knowledgeable about this than me as I never got it to work in a beneficial way.

• Like 1