PS Plus Traveler Edition trophy thoughts/tips (Sep 2023)

Banananaki

TL;DR - You can AFK farm a handful of the trophies, and making a Season character will speed up the XP generation significantly. Anyone able to maintain idling to farm the trophies (2 TV, remote play while not at home) can speed up the process. Combat is EZ, Fishing, Processing, Gathering, and Riding just take a long time but EZ. Contribution points will require some time as well, but actively playing.

I was always curious about this game, but I'm corrupted to prefer to play games if they have trophies vs PC. I saw this was free this month, so I gave it a shot, and I figured I'd give some context around the game in the current season "Land of the Morning Light" and how the trophy grind is. I don't have any context to how it was prior, but compared to other games, it seemed to be generous with boosts.

I started with the normal story progression, rather than LotML, and started a SEASON character. Season characters get a ton of XP assistance, and it makes the trophy grind go faster. They give you lots of inventory+ and scrolls that boost XP, food that boosts XP, and other items that boost XP, as well as timed boosts, and an adventurer "reach level 10/20/30" etc bonus pack. 

I'm still only 15/20 trophies, but having played the past few weeks, there are a lot of things you can AFK do in this game, which makes it convenient. For me, I have 2 TV's (I just don't get rid of my old ones, so I can run ps4 and ps5 at same time) and I can farm Gathering, Processing, and Fishing while doing other things. I can remote play to queue up some more AFK stuff while at work, which takes just a minute or so to get started. 

I would advise just following the main quest, use boosts as you go where applicable, and AFK farm if you can allow your console to be on for idle time. You can buy Empty Bottles from Material vendors, go to a river and sit about knee high in the water (just don't be swimming tbh) and you can USE the bottle to gather water. You can also go to Processing, Filtering, select Pure Water, and take the water you gather, and purify it. These can be farmed super cheap. Gathering it requires Energy (the muscle at the top above your HP) which will gradually increase as you level things up. 

(Edit: Gathering SEA water instead, will allow you to do Salt instead of purified water. That's under heating I believe it was)

You can get a special fishing rod currently, but even so, you can get a rod from a vendor, though I believe the durability decreases. You can also AFK fish. Find somewhere with water, equip your rod, check on the right side of your screen to see if it says "Abundant" or "Exhausted". I would advise to go to Abundant spots (try to avoid major cities, I think the status is shared among other players?) and when you press X to fish, just AFK. every time a fish bites, it will auto collect within 3 minutes. This does NOT require energy, so you can kind of farm all of this in one spot if you wanted to. Cycle between Gathering to use energy, fishing/processing without energy, rinse repeat. You can also sell purified water on the Marketplace for some decent income. 

You can get a small house and buy a bed off the market (they are usually expensive, like 5m silver or less) and you can lay in the bed to AFK recover energy slightly faster. Riding your horse between locations will level your Riding skill.

(Edit: It may be more beneficial to just go straight thru the main quests to also farm contribution points up, but being a bit leveled ahead is also beneficial. Up to you)

As for combat, I found a quest on the main chain, where there are a heckton of Harpies. You'll know it when you get there, it's not incredibly far into the story, I was around level 30 or so on combat? I realized this area spawns really quickly, and they die very quickly as well. You could choose to farm this area for free without progressing the quest (I believe they linger even after you do the quest), and with every boost you can get, I got from 30-49 in about 1-2 hours just running around killing them, and learning how to optimize the route as I went along. (from starting area, climb up to the top, found a small balcony area with a bunch, then went to the top top, kill, jump to the roof of a house, kill a few more, then jump back to start)

There is one for exploring things (naturally obtainable, you can also just "move to" a location somewhat far away to get riding and exploration, but this should come without effort). And lastly contribution points. I haven't worked on this yet, but there are guides available for farming contribution points. (Edit: Mostly comes from quests, Lifeskills like cooking or alchemy, or daily quests, according to reddit). You can invest these in areas by pressing X on the map, and purchasing property for lodging (houses for workers), residences (personal property), or workshops (auto manufacturing things) which is more longer term endgame stuff I think. 

Hopefully this is helpful for someone, especially those who are eyeballing the PS Plus free status of the Traveler Edition and curious if things are different. It didn't run very well on PS4 Pro, but I moved it to the SSD and it ran better, but still not great. Runs OK on PS5. It is my understanding that the console version isn't as caught up and is not the main focus, and while there was reportedly a PS5 version in the works, it's still only PS4. Wondering if the fact that it was on PS Plus is an attempt to generate more interest and maybe the PS5 version is soon on the horizon.

Edited by Banananaki
adding more stuff since I learned more stuff, and stuff.
  • Like 1

Overall, how long would one be expected to play this game in terms of actually being around versus just AFKing? Seems tempting since it looks like a good majority of the game's absurd plat time is just leaving it idle, so it'd be nice to know how much time I'd actually have to put in VS time racked up just leaving it on while I do other stuff.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:50 AM, Walt the Dog said:

Overall, how long would one be expected to play this game in terms of actually being around versus just AFKing? Seems tempting since it looks like a good majority of the game's absurd plat time is just leaving it idle, so it'd be nice to know how much time I'd actually have to put in VS time racked up just leaving it on while I do other stuff.

I'm really not sure. I'm currently 46/51 for fishing and I've been afk fishing for a while now... I got some armor that improves fishing, but I guarantee I'm not optimizing as much as I could be. There are boosts to Life XP and fishing stats/XP that you can get. Autofishing collects every 3 minutes, but you can manually fish much faster. 

I've been fishing by Keplan, then GPS my horse to Velia to the trade merchant to sell, then I GPS back and do this whenever my character stops fishing. My Training (Horse-riding skill) is almost done for the trophy, I'm at 40/41. You can just GPS your horse all over the map if you really wanted to, to speed that one up, but yeah there is a lot of AFK type stuff for this game. I'm not sure what speed-ups there are for Processing or Gathering, I know there have been some food that speed up gathering, but it's still going to be a rather AFK job. You can go and find plants and stuff to gather instead of water, but you'd be doing a lot more active clicking, vs clicking the stack and pressing "Use Continuously". 

My character thing says I've been online for 19D total, granted a good chunk of that is AFK time doing absolutely nothing, after my afk task was finished. I've just had it running while I do other things, and check on it to restart the AFK grinding. That being said, unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for how different the grind would be, but it is certainly a grind.

On 9/22/2023 at 2:11 PM, Lightsp33d1987 said:

Can we upgrade or purchase another pack if we have the PS+ version?

I am not really sure about this. I was able to buy the Starter pack for 4.99, but it shows the other two item packs from the other versions as unavailable, reason - you need to purchase the following : Black Desert. It might be some weird locking from using the website version vs on the console, or accessing the store from the game?

------

It does run significantly better on PS5 actually, framerate much smoother, however playing a PS4 game on PS5, locks your PS4 out of playing a different game. All I have left is fishing, riding, and contribution points, which should naturally increase by doing more of the main story content.