Game crashing on PS5?

I'm just a little over 11 hours into this game and twice now, completely randomly, the game has crashed. Once was after I had jumped off a ledge and the game froze for about 2-3 seconds, came up with a crash screen, then almost immediately went back to the frozen image, then a black screen for a few seconds before coming up with a generic crash report. Just happened again just a few minutes, crashed the exact same way, except this time I was just walking around as Abby.

I'm playing the game on PS5, running it off the external HDD. I also had one occasion where, upon booting up the game, it just froze on the splash screen with Ellie's face and I had to close and re-open the game (worked fine on the 2nd try though). First time I've had something like that happen on my PS5, though I've occasionally had games crash at the splash screen on PS4 before.

My partner played this back at launch in 2020 on a base PS4, and he doesn't remember having any issues with crashes. Is this game just known to have issues crashing on PS5? I thankfully haven't lost any progress as a result of these crashes, but it does have me a bit concerned, and wondering if I shouldn't just install it on my PS4 and play it on there instead.

Has anyone else whose played this on PS5 experienced crashing issues?

Edit: So I've since finished and platinumed the game, and ironically, it didn't crash any further. I passed the same points where the game crashed for me in my first playthrough in my partial 2nd playthrough as well without any issues. Overall, I spent about 25-30 hours on this game, and just 2 crashes in that time isn't too bad I suppose, just weird they were both relatively early on.

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

I played this on PS5 when I was cleaning up the DLC and I only remember having a couple of minor crashes, nothing serious thankfully. But like your partner, I played at launch with a PS4 and no issues from my memory. (bearing in mind, this was over 3 years ago) - To save potential concerns in the future, it's probably better to play on PS4 instead. In any case, I'd recommend making a back up save in case anything were to happen.

Edited by Maxine
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maxine said:

I played this on PS5 when I was cleaning up the DLC and I only remember having a couple of minor crashes, nothing serious thankfully. But like your partner, I played at launch with a PS4 and no issues from my memory. (bearing in mind, this was over 3 years ago) - To save potential concerns in the future, it's probably better to play on PS4 instead. In any case, I'd recommend making a back up save in case anything were to happen.

I usually still play PS4 games on my PS4, since it's the original hardware and all, and I know some games have backwards compatibility issues on PS5. But I figured this game would probably be fine since it's a Sony 1st party title, and might even benefit from the PS5's extra power.

I've been rotating between 3 manual saves and backing up my saves to the cloud after every play session, so hopefully nothing catastrophic happens - I'm mostly concerned about the profile save (the one that tracks your collectibles) getting corrupted during a crash or something.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. I'll continue playing it on PS5 for now and see how things go.

@zizimonster That'll probably be my next step should the crashes become more frequent.

I did a little digging and it seems it isn't too uncommon for this game to have crashing issues, especially on PS5. Seen a couple of posts of people saying they've tried it installed on both the internal SSD and on an external HDD, and it doesn't seem to have much effect on how much it crashes (actually saw one person saying it crashed a bit less for them after moving it to the external HDD), so... I dunno. I'll just pray nothing gets corrupted and I don't lose too much progress at any point due to a crash. Worse comes to worst, I'll try playing it on PS4 instead with whatever backed up saves I have at the time.

Edited by Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...