The true hardcore old school player

Justin__Harris

This trophy will likely be the determining factor in whether or not people want to go for the platinum trophy. It's no easy feat. I got it on the PS4 version a few months ago and it took me numerous attempts. I recorded my no-death run of this and will upload it later so people can see it. Until then, there are a few things I want to mention that might help out people who decide to go for this one.

1) On the PS4 version before the latest patch, you were able to accomplish this trophy by using a save scum method. As I found out going for the PS4 platinum trophy this is no longer the case and I do not believe it works on the PS5 version either. So that means if you want to get this trophy, yer gonna have to git gud. It took me nine attempts to get this trophy, always failing on the fifth and sixth levels, which is totally maddening.

2) If you have already beaten the game, you need to delete your save file so you start as a New Game every time you attempt the no-death run. I found this out the hard way, as on my 5th attempt, I did it without dying only to find out that the trophy would not pop.

3) You do not have to finish Level 3 perfectly without waking up the mom. If you accidentally wake her, quickly grab the remote and turn the TV off. If she doesn't come into the room and turn off the console, it doesn't count as a failure. That being said, make sure you don't turn off the TV near an enemy who can attack you, drain your pixels, and kill Dot. On the PS4 version, I recall turning the TV back on and seeing a Game Over on the screen.

4) In my personal opinion, I found Levels 3, 5, and 6 to be the hardest. The reason is that they all feature some platforming with insta-death bottomless pits. Level 5 is the worst of this, as until you know the level layout, there's a good chance you will not jump far enough at certain spots and die. Level 2 also has some platforming areas, but I found them to be pretty easy compared to the other levels.

I know this game inside and out now. Maybe I'll write a guide for it. At the very least, I'll upload my videos of the trophies to help anyone out who wants them. Good luck and Godspeed. 🖖🏿

Edited by Justin__Harris
  • Like 3

Congratulations! I was hoping to be the first one to platinum this amazing game myself, but your endurance is commended! First time through game last night I ended up dying in level 5. After beating game, I took a half hour break to recharge my controllers and myself, and went for it again. By then I was just mentally exhausted and impatient and actually died on 2nd level. Since it was after midnight at that point, figured it was better at that point to sleep, and try again later tonight.

I was figuring that was the case you had to keep deleting save file for failed runs, but thanks all the same for confirmation! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, timpurnat said:

Thanks for the tips, slightly off topic but does anyone know in what patch they removed save scummming on ps4? Was it 1.05? I'm asking because you can simply downgrade the ps4 versions

I'm not sure which patch it was officially removed, but from what I can gather it was after 1.00. I tried to use the proxy method to downgrade on my PS4 and PS5 but couldn't get it to work. I kinda wish I knew about the easy-peasy downgrade method from the link below but at the same time, I guess I'm glad that I learned to get proficient at this game to where I could finish it multiple times without dying.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Justin__Harris said:

I'm not sure which patch it was officially removed, but from what I can gather it was after 1.00. I tried to use the proxy method to downgrade on my PS4 and PS5 but couldn't get it to work. I kinda wish I knew about the easy-peasy downgrade method from the link below but at the same time, I guess I'm glad that I learned to get proficient at this game to where I could finish it multiple times without dying.

You can't downgrade PS5 games sadly. I think it might be 1.05 so going to 1.04 might work. 1.05 has this in the patch notes "Hardcode Mode Save Fix (1.05)"

here you can find all the patches if anyone wants to test them, I don't have the game yet, but will buy it at the earliest sale: https://orbispatches.com/CUSA18230

I know going to 1.00 should def work, but I want to find the latest patch with the save scum still working for best performance and to avoid any other bugs

Edited by timpurnat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KyonKuchiki said:

Congratulations! I was hoping to be the first one to platinum this amazing game myself, but your endurance is commended! First time through game last night I ended up dying in level 5. After beating game, I took a half hour break to recharge my controllers and myself, and went for it again. By then I was just mentally exhausted and impatient and actually died on 2nd level. Since it was after midnight at that point, figured it was better at that point to sleep, and try again later tonight.

I was figuring that was the case you had to keep deleting save file for failed runs, but thanks all the same for confirmation! 

Yeah, I had practiced a few runs on the PS4 version in anticipation of this. I wanted to do it all in one run but managed to drown by missing a jump in Level 5, which I had never previously done before. I had cleared my schedule to try and get it finished but just could not do it with the exception of my fifth run, where I did, but found out it doesn't count unless you delete your save and start the game fresh. But after eight total runs, I think I stopped playing at 3:00 AM and was just too tired and infuriated after another failed attempt to continue.

I wasn't even planning on playing yesterday but finished all my work and caught up on shows and was like, I guess I'll do run one before bed. I had zero confidence going into the final run and of course, that's the one where it all worked out.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 3:47 AM, Justin__Harris said:

1) On the PS4 version before the latest patch, you were able to accomplish this trophy by using a save scum method. As I found out going for the PS4 platinum trophy this is no longer the case and I do not believe it works on the PS5 version either. So that means if you want to get this trophy, yer gonna have to git gud. It took me nine attempts to get this trophy, always failing on the fifth and sixth levels, which is totally maddening.

So did they change the requirement of this trophy to require 1 continuous play though?  Because if not, then I don't see how they could prevent save scumming from unlocking the trophy.

2 hours ago, MrBeens said:

So did they change the requirement of this trophy to require 1 continuous play though?  Because if not, then I don't see how they could prevent save scumming from unlocking the trophy.

This seems to be the case. I tried the save scum method a bunch of times on the PS4 version and wasn't able to get it to work. I had to get it legit. @timpurnat said this above: "1.05 has this in the patch notes 'Hardcode Mode Save Fix (1.05)'". You can still downgrade the PS4 version to 1.00 and use that method but as for the PS5 version... git gud.

18 hours ago, Justin__Harris said:

This seems to be the case. I tried the save scum method a bunch of times on the PS4 version and wasn't able to get it to work. I had to get it legit. @timpurnat said this above: "1.05 has this in the patch notes 'Hardcode Mode Save Fix (1.05)'". You can still downgrade the PS4 version to 1.00 and use that method but as for the PS5 version... git gud.

IIRC, hardcore mode has nothing to do with this trophy.  This is a base game trophy (as all the trophies are).  Hardcore mode was patched in at a later date when they added in things like the gold cartridges, and extra costumes.  It wasn't present for the games first few months after launch (ps4 version).  That's why there are also no trophies related to the gold cartridges either.

At any rate, for the PSVR2 version, I'll know sometime this week if the trophy is obtainable via save scumming on normal mode, as I suspect it should be.  

2 hours ago, MrBeens said:

IIRC, hardcore mode has nothing to do with this trophy.  This is a base game trophy (as all the trophies are).  Hardcore mode was patched in at a later date when they added in things like the gold cartridges, and extra costumes.  It wasn't present for the games first few months after launch (ps4 version).  That's why there are also no trophies related to the gold cartridges either.

At any rate, for the PSVR2 version, I'll know sometime this week if the trophy is obtainable via save scumming on normal mode, as I suspect it should be.  

Ah, I see. Hmmm. The only thing I can figure is perhaps I didn't try the save scumming method after deleting my save file in the numerous times I attempted it on PS4. I'm pretty sure I did, but that was a few months ago, so I can't fully recall. 

Either which way, lemme know how that all works out. I'd still like to make a guide for this and if that method still works, it should be included. 

On 10/31/2023 at 11:30 AM, Justin__Harris said:

Either which way, lemme know how that all works out. I'd still like to make a guide for this and if that method still works, it should be included. 

Well looks like you were correct.  I deleted the existing save then played through on Normal mode backing up the save in between levels after getting to the end of level score each time.  I did not receive the trophy after finishing everything.  

I won't be bothered going for this trophy.  I had to restart level 4 like 5 times because Dot kept becoming unresponsive and wouldn't move during the boss fight making it impossible to win without dying.  Same thing happened to me on the last level on my initial play through.  Not gonna bother taking 2-3 hours each attempt only to be thwarted by glitches making it not my fault if I die.

17 hours ago, MrBeens said:

Well looks like you were correct.  I deleted the existing save then played through on Normal mode backing up the save in between levels after getting to the end of level score each time.  I did not receive the trophy after finishing everything.  

I won't be bothered going for this trophy.  I had to restart level 4 like 5 times because Dot kept becoming unresponsive and wouldn't move during the boss fight making it impossible to win without dying.  Same thing happened to me on the last level on my initial play through.  Not gonna bother taking 2-3 hours each attempt only to be thwarted by glitches making it not my fault if I die.

Bummer. But thanks for the confirmation on that. And yeah, there were several instances where I'd get screwed over from some bullshit at the very end of the game. Especially at the final part of the last level with the platforming and thinking I did a perfect jump just to fall to my death. Definitely takes patience and some luck, but every instance of my eight attempts would be a death at the final levels and I'd just want to punch a wall. 😒