Is it possible to get all time trial trophies even if you have zero stars on one trial?

Ivotas

Hey guys, I think the thread title is pretty much self explenatory. I ask because I cannot even finish Playground 2 because I'm stuck on one section and even with hours of trying for some reason I cannot make it past this very simple point. I mean I've just cleared all the speedruns so I am pretty familiar with how the game works but yet in that one section the recular move I'm supposed to use just doesn't work. I know how to use the move and I've seen a number of guides on this time trial and all of them use the same move, which for some reasno does not work for me.

Of course I'm still gonna try but I feel that I will have to throw the towel on this one because this wouldn't be the first time that a section just doesn't work for me. Only this time it's literally at a place where it's challenge breaking. In other parts of the game I could work around my handicaps. So I'm really just wondering if there's a chance for me to get the 90 stars or do I have to give up on trophy completion now? I'm kinda lost and confused.

• Like 3

Yeah, shouldn't be any problem. 

If you've got the main game, Pure Time Trials and Synesthesia DLC's, you'll have 99 "possible" stars.

I'd say leaving out a full trial without even one star will be a huge drawback though, and I'd guess the biggest risk is that the particular move will be required in another level?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

Yeah, shouldn't be any problem. 

If you've got the main game, Pure Time Trials and Synesthesia DLC's, you'll have 99 "possible" stars.

I'd say leaving out a full trial without even one star will be a huge drawback though, and I'd guess the biggest risk is that the particular move will be required in another level?

That's comforting to know.

And I agree that it will be a huge drawback just in terms of having less leeway later. The problem however is not that I don't know how to use that specific move. The problem is that it just doesn't work in this section for me. I've been experiencing problems like these during my speedruns. For chapter 9 for example there was one wall where the wallrun just wouldn't want to work properly. It doesn't matter that I used wallrun perfectly in earlier sections and in sections that came later. In that one section it just wouldn't work properly. And right now I'm having the same problem only not with a wallrun. I really don't know what the issue is here. Usually I would search the fault with myself but I really don't know what exactly I'm doing differently from every other time I'm using said move. =/

1 minute ago, Tommiieeh said:

you should give it a shot, but in my opinion it was one of the easier levels, so you should get a 3star rating there, otherwise you could be in trouble.
i wish you all the best, seen your name a lot of times in this and the other forum, haha.

happy grinding!

That was the plan but I cannot even get to the end of the level because of this problem. Which just now reminds me, isn't it actually required to clear Playground 2 to unlock Playground 3? And isn't there a trophy for unlocking all time trials? Or are there other ways to unlock them? Just thought of this moment and now I'm worried again.^^'

• Like 1

Aw crap, if that's how things are unlocked in this game then yeah, that'll be a problem. 😓

It's been quite a while since I played this so I don't remember some of the details.

Which wallrun is giving you problems? If you pinpoint the time of it on this video maybe someone can help you if there's something wonky about it in that particular place?

Also, have you tried a different controller? I guess it should've been noticable somewhere else if that's what's acting up, but if you've got another available it couldn't hurt to try.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

That's comforting to know.

And I agree that it will be a huge drawback just in terms of having less leeway later. The problem however is not that I don't know how to use that specific move. The problem is that it just doesn't work in this section for me. I've been experiencing problems like these during my speedruns. For chapter 9 for example there was one wall where the wallrun just wouldn't want to work properly. It doesn't matter that I used wallrun perfectly in earlier sections and in sections that came later. In that one section it just wouldn't work properly. And right now I'm having the same problem only not with a wallrun. I really don't know what the issue is here. Usually I would search the fault with myself but I really don't know what exactly I'm doing differently from every other time I'm using said move. =/

That was the plan but I cannot even get to the end of the level because of this problem. Which just now reminds me, isn't it actually required to clear Playground 2 to unlock Playground 3? And isn't there a trophy for unlocking all time trials? Or are there other ways to unlock them? Just thought of this moment and now I'm worried again.^^'

unfortunately i cant remember. but i hope you havent watched all the videos on youtube cause i got this guy here who explains almost every time trial and he really helped me out.

i can recommend watching more of the videos and also his eplainations for speed boosting cause its basically essential if youre not too good at the game!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

Aw crap, if that's how things are unlocked in this game then yeah, that'll be a problem. 😓

It's been quite a while since I played this so I don't remember some of the details.

Dammit, I knew it was too good to be true. I guess I'm screwed then unless I don't make it at least to the finish line with one star. Huge bummer. :(

9 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

Which wallrun is giving you problems? If you pinpoint the time of it on this video maybe someone can help you if there's something wonky about it in that particular place?

Also, have you tried a different controller? I guess it should've been noticable somewhere else if that's what's acting up, but if you've got another available it couldn't hurt to try. 

Sure, I can point the section out. It's the one that starts at 0:22, right after the second checkpoint. The wallrun that transitions into a coil jump. I just cannot make it over the fence. I've done this move many times but here it just wouldn't work. And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(

Unfortunately I don't have another controller. Not yet. I've actually ordered another one two days ago because with this game it happened a little bit too often that suddenly my character turns around or the game suddenly pauses without me doing anything. At first I thought it was an issue with the game because I haven't experienced this with any other game I've played recently. But now I can't be too sure anymore so I order another one. Kinda hard to get unused PS3 controllers however.

1 minute ago, Tommiieeh said:

unfortunately i cant remember. but i hope you havent watched all the videos on youtube cause i got this guy here who explains almost every time trial and he really helped me out.

i can recommend watching more of the videos and also his eplainations for speed boosting cause its basically essential if youre not too good at the game!

Thanks mate. Yeah, that's actually the guy who's guides helped me to clear all the speedruns. Unfortunately I just cannot do the jump over the fence. It's not even a super special tricky move that get's you through a shortcut. It's a regular move that just doesn't want to work in this specific section so I'm kinda stuck as there's no other option to get across in time. :(

• Like 1

I also used Ovendonkey videos and there are some section you can get away with other methods and still make it. The game is pretty unforgiving so it might just be an issue with timing. I had a hard time jumping over the fence from the plank, the game would force align me if I was just a tiny bit delayed.

As for the coil jump after a jump you will need to do it a lot so it is best you keep trying.

There is a post here, iirc, that has people's opinion on the hardest trials. I used that to guide me to wich I would settle on a 2 stars

• Like 1

Hm, I remember wallrunning could be a bit finicky, but definitely something you'd get the hang of and get better at the more you play. 

As said, it's been quite a few years since I played it, but does the angle have something to do with it? In the video I linked the actual vertical distance he wallruns is pretty short, so I'm trying to remember if the direction you looked affected the direction of your wallrun, so the key is to look a little bit up for the jump?

I'm also thinking, if you're just aiming to finish this time trial, it might be possible to just do some sort of vault jump over those crates to the right of the fence instead? I looked at the times and for 1 star it seems pretty lenient.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Sure, I can point the section out. It's the one that starts at 0:22, right after the second checkpoint. The wallrun that transitions into a coil jump. I just cannot make it over the fence. I've done this move many times but here it just wouldn't work. And I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :(

So she does perform the coil jump but the jump itself is not long enough to pass the obstacle? If every button input goes through, then I think you'll be fine. May just be an issue of speed and timing.

Try to keep as much speed as possible before the jump. In terms of timing, start the wall run at the end of the plank, and jump at the first corner of the door, coil immediately after.

It's possible to do it even after respawning after the checkpoint, I just decided to try as well, failed a couple times at this exact place, but did it. You can practice right at the checkpoint.

14 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

I'm also thinking, if you're just aiming to finish this time trial, it might be possible to just do some sort of vault jump over those crates to the right of the fence instead? I looked at the times and for 1 star it seems pretty lenient

Yea, actually not a bad idea. You can go around on the right and lose about 10 seconds.

Edit: I just tried going around, you only lose 7-8 seconds.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, fenris-lima said:

I also used Ovendonkey videos and there are some section you can get away with other methods and still make it. The game is pretty unforgiving so it might just be an issue with timing. I had a hard time jumping over the fence from the plank, the game would force align me if I was just a tiny bit delayed.

As for the coil jump after a jump you will need to do it a lot so it is best you keep trying.

There is a post here, iirc, that has people's opinion on the hardest trials. I used that to guide me to wich I would settle on a 2 stars

I know that post. Iirc, Playground 2 doesn't seem to be considered a tough one so that's what worries me about what lies ahead.

21 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

Hm, I remember wallrunning could be a bit finicky, but definitely something you'd get the hang of and get better at the more you play. 

As said, it's been quite a few years since I played it, but does the angle have something to do with it? In the video I linked the actual vertical distance he wallruns is pretty short, so I'm trying to remember if the direction you looked affected the direction of your wallrun, so the key is to look a little bit up for the jump?

I honestly don't know what the issue is. I tried all kinds of different angles but the problem is that I'm never as high on when doing the wallrun than any of the various guide videos I've watched. Therefore whenever I try to do a coiljump I jump straight into the fence. I have no idea how to do the wallrun from as high a position as everybody else seems to be doing.

21 minutes ago, FishOfPain said:

I'm also thinking, if you're just aiming to finish this time trial, it might be possible to just do some sort of vault jump over those crates to the right of the fence instead? I looked at the times and for 1 star it seems pretty lenient.

Oh I would totally go for that if I could just get across that stupid fence. I will have to call it quits for today as I've spent hours on that trial. Just unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, Slava said:

So she does perform the coil jump but the jump itself is not long enough to pass the obstacle? If every button input goes through, then I think you'll be fine. May just be an issue of speed and timing.

Nope, it's not that it is long enough. I'm not high enough to begin with when making the jump. My wallrun is lower than any of the wallrun in the guide videos and I don't know why. I tried aiming higher at the wall or alternatively jumping at the wall to transition into a wallrun but it was always way too low. I just don't know why. :(

18 minutes ago, Slava said:

Try to keep as much speed as possible before the jump. In terms of timing, start the wall run at the end of the plank, and jump at the first corner of the door, coil immediately after.

It's possible to do it even after respawning after the checkpoint, I just decided to try as well, failed a couple times at this exact place, but did it. You can practice right at the checkpoint.

Yea, actually not a bad idea. You can go around on the right and lose about 10 seconds.

Edit: I just tried going around, you only lose 7-8 seconds.

As I said, I don't mind respawning. I just can't get across the fence to begin with. I mean I've cleared the game on hard and got cleared all the speedruns. At this point I know how basic mechanics work. It's just really that for some reason I don't know why my wallrun is so low.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

My wallrun is lower than any of the wallrun in the guide videos and I don't know why. I tried aiming higher at the wall or alternatively jumping at the wall to transition into a wallrun but it was always way too low. I just don't know why. :(

I still think the problem is tied to timing more than anything. If you mess around with timing, and still can't get it to work, there's still an option to go around the whole fence. I'm just convinced you'll be able to do it the "normal" way. Good luck!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, I think the thread title is pretty much self explenatory. I ask because I cannot even finish Playground 2 because I'm stuck on one section and even with hours of trying for some reason I cannot make it past this very simple point. I mean I've just cleared all the speedruns so I am pretty familiar with how the game works but yet in that one section the recular move I'm supposed to use just doesn't work. I know how to use the move and I've seen a number of guides on this time trial and all of them use the same move, which for some reasno does not work for me.

Of course I'm still gonna try but I feel that I will have to throw the towel on this one because this wouldn't be the first time that a section just doesn't work for me. Only this time it's literally at a place where it's challenge breaking. In other parts of the game I could work around my handicaps. So I'm really just wondering if there's a chance for me to get the 90 stars or do I have to give up on trophy completion now? I'm kinda lost and confused.

Hi, I used youtube videos to help me with this but i did download the dlc which gives extra stars, wot control pad are you using  ds3? try a ps4 control pad buttons are way better for this if you have 1 🙂 it took me 4 or 5 years to get this many a broken ds3 lmao, you can do it keep at it 🙂 edit- youtube channel i used was called Ovendonkey and ther was another 1 i used but i cant remember the channel name but it started with K something like kousau or something but it was along time ago. Learn the little side jump trick it puts faith into full speed from get go saves time 

Edited by WeeJ87
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Slava said:

I still think the problem is tied to timing more than anything. If you mess around with timing, and still can't get it to work, there's still an option to go around the whole fence. I'm just convinced you'll be able to do it the "normal" way. Good luck!

7 hours ago, fenris-lima said:

After playing PS4 and PS5 and going back to PS3 I noticed the reponse time of the games from my input has a noticeble delay. Might be the case you try issue the command before you see the right position on the screen 

Hm, I can definitely try to issue the command earlier of you both think that timing might play a role here. Never would have guessed that so it's absolutely worth trying to play around with that approach. Thanks guys.

6 hours ago, WeeJ87 said:

Hi, I used youtube videos to help me with this but i did download the dlc which gives extra stars, wot control pad are you using  ds3? try a ps4 control pad buttons are way better for this if you have 1 🙂 it took me 4 or 5 years to get this many a broken ds3 lmao, you can do it keep at it 🙂 edit- youtube channel i used was called Ovendonkey and ther was another 1 i used but i cant remember the channel name but it started with K something like kousau or something but it was along time ago. Learn the little side jump trick it puts faith into full speed from get go saves time 

Yep, I'm familiar with Ovendonkey's videos. As a matter of fact, it's his videos that got me through the speedruns (though I could never make that first shortcut in chapter 3 work no matter how long I tried).

But what I find more intetesting is what you're saying about the controllers. Are you telling me that I can use my Dualshock 4 controller to play on my PS3 instead of my Dualshock controller which is fourteen years old? I never knew that!😱

Either way guys, thank you so much for the great feedback. I will make sure to implement things on my next approach tonight.^^

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Hm, I can definitely try to issue the command earlier of you both think that timing might play a role here. Never would have guessed that so it's absolutely worth trying to play around with that approach. Thanks guys.

Yep, I'm familiar with Ovendonkey's videos. As a matter of fact, it's his videos that got me through the speedruns (though I could never make that first shortcut in chapter 3 work no matter how long I tried).

But what I find more intetesting is what you're saying about the controllers. Are you telling me that I can use my Dualshock 4 controller to play on my PS3 instead of my Dualshock controller which is fourteen years old? I never knew that!😱

Either way guys, thank you so much for the great feedback. I will make sure to implement things on my next approach tonight.^^

No problem bro thats what trophy hunters do 🙂 The only problem with using a ds4 or even a ps5 control on ps3 the ps button will not work but have a ds3 on the 2player slot so you can use this button if needed.

Edited by WeeJ87
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, westersburg said:

It is possible if you unlock all the timetrials. So if you get 0 stars on maps that don't unlock following maps you are in the clear. I honestly don't know if you can unlock for example playgrounds 3 if you have 0 stars on pg2. You might need 1 star in these trials.

Yeah, I guess I definitely have to get at least one star on Playground 2. I will be trying around a little bit later.^^

1 hour ago, WeeJ87 said:

No problem bro thats what trophy hunters do 🙂 The only problem with using a ds4 or even a ps5 control on ps3 the ps button will not work but have a ds3 on the 2player slot so you can use this button if needed.

That's not a problem at all. I'm just happy to know that this is possible at all. Will have to do a little research to figure out how to pull that off actually without simultaneously activating my PS4. XD

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Yeah, I guess I definitely have to get at least one star on Playground 2. I will be trying around a little bit later.^^

That's not a problem at all. I'm just happy to know that this is possible at all. Will have to do a little research to figure out how to pull that off actually without simultaneously activating my PS4. XD

Unplug your ps4 or ps5 and then go into bluetooth settings on your ps3 but i think you can also use it wired gud luck bro you can do it 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WeeJ87 said:

Unplug your ps4 or ps5 and then go into bluetooth settings on your ps3 but i think you can also use it wired gud luck bro you can do it 🙂

Oh my god dude, you're a friggin' genius! I couldn't try it yesterday as something came up but I've tried today with the PS4 controller and I actually made it to the finish line. Didn't get all three stars but I could get not one but two so I've now unlocked Playground 3. I've tried a couple of times and I do screw up at this section a little but nowhere near as many times as before. So I will still be playing around a bit but if the third star turns out to be too difficult, I'll just move on to the next section. Thank you very much for that suggestion. And again, thank you everyone for your kind feedback. You guys rule!^^

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Oh my god dude, you're a friggin' genius! I couldn't try it yesterday as something came up but I've tried today with the PS4 controller and I actually made it to the finish line. Didn't get all three stars but I could get not one but two so I've now unlocked Playground 3. I've tried a couple of times and I do screw up at this section a little but nowhere near as many times as before. So I will still be playing around a bit but if the third star turns out to be too difficult, I'll just move on to the next section. Thank you very much for that suggestion. And again, thank you everyone for your kind feedback. You guys rule!^^

Your welcome bro told you - you can do it if you need any more advice just message me, man this has made my day knowing i helped a fellow trophy hunter out 🙂👍🤝

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WeeJ87 said:

Your welcome bro told you - you can do it if you need any more advice just message me, man this has made my day knowing i helped a fellow trophy hunter out 🙂👍🤝

Thank you very much mate. For now it's just some general struggles with both Playground 2 and 3 to improve my times. But as annoying as that is, it's not gamebreaking in a manner where I cannot even meet a qualifier time anymore. Doesn't make it less frustrating though. XD

• Like 1