Gaming on laptops: RTX 30 vs 40 series - which is recommended?

rockstarjazz

i learnt from youtube reviews that the RTX 30 series actually perform better as they have wider memory bandwidth, memory interface and cuda, and sometimes fps is about the same as the 40 series.

but the 40 series is performs quieter and 30 series, even if not playing, can still make the fan loud??

based on your experience, if you have done a good amount of laptop gaming, which GPU is recommended for laptop gaming? the 30 or the 40?

mind you i wont be playing too much of the latest AAA games, perhaps the main one is RE4 remake which performed fine on low settings on my current laptop that has a gtx 1650, but the fan was still loud. my budget is about £1.2k max

thanks

• 1 month later...

Nvidia's 40 series can use DLSS 3's Frame Generation. FG is a big advantage, able to give you a major framerate boost. Unfortunately it can't be used on a 30. Now there's Ray Reconstruction, which all RTX cards can use (not just 40s... all RTX cards can use RR). RR should help your path-tracing performance in something like Cyberpunk 2077.

Yes, 40 series are supposed to have a lower power draw (and temperature) than a 30 for the same performance. That said, the TDP is similar (150W for the mobile 3080 & 4080).