Honour Mode is here!

BusyFace13

52 minutes ago, BusyFace13 said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Definitely agree with how chaotic Ketheric on the rooftop can be. I got to Act 3 earlier today so hoping to have Tactician/Honour mode finished in the next day or so. 

Yes Ketheric was insane to do for me anway haha. And np goodluck with the rest.

So, a quick question regarding the importing of saves.

I already played through this games twice on PC and still have all my saves for my Dark Urge playtrough on there.

Is importing these saves to PS5 allowed? And won't I get into trouble?

(I'm first playing through on Honour mode on the PS5 normally.)

Edited by Justt--JD--

21 hours ago, Justt--JD-- said:

So, a quick question regarding the importing of saves.

I already played through this games twice on PC and still have all my saves for my Dark Urge playtrough on there.

Is importing these saves to PS5 allowed? And won't I get into trouble?

(I'm first playing through on Honour mode on the PS5 normally.)

Importing saves will work just fine! Doing so won't actually mess with anything (and is something I make use of a lot). And it can potentially be used to work around the single save issue of honour mode if you turn off cross-save syncing before loading the file (essentially giving you two saves to work with: one from pc and one from ps5).

• Like 1

You know, I really, really dislike Honour mode.......

For some reason, even though I've been simping for Karlach the entire playthrough so far (40 hours.)

For some goddamn reason now at the start of Act 3 she says to me "I thought there was something between us, but it has flamed out."

And no save to reload because of honor mode.

Honestly, the more I play BG3 the more reasons I'm finding not to love it....

Edit : 
After doing some more research.

It looks like because Wyll did his stupid dance scene the day I did Karlach her second Iron piece, that route is now bugged.

Great... 

40 hours gone...

Edited by Justt--JD--

Update for Honour Mode...

If you wait till closing your game until your party is completely wiped, your game will automatically switch to Custom mode.

Regardless of you reloading the save to an earlier stage.....

Even if you reload that earlier save after closing the game, once you get the message  "Your party has been defeated, switch to Custom Mode."
It doesn't matter if you close the game.

FUN!!!

Edit : 
I should just play Honour mode on the PC with the mods that disables the no save feature.
But, we are just going to try it again on the PS5..

Third time is the charm, right? 

Edited by Justt--JD--

You gotta be f'in kidding me....is there a way to tell if this has happened?  I guess i can look at the difficulty tab and see if it is auto set to Custom now?  Oh shit....this is gonna piss me off as I did Honor on my first ever playthrough and have seen this dialogue box and killed the game and reloaded....in Act 3 now...

Edited by ByteTyson

1 hour ago, ByteTyson said:

You gotta be f'in kidding me....is there a way to tell if this has happened?  I guess i can look at the difficulty tab and see if it is auto set to Custom now?  Oh shit....this is gonna piss me off as I did Honor on my first ever playthrough and have seen this dialogue box and killed the game and reloaded....in Act 3 now...

You will see this when you open the difficulty tab, yes.

That's where I noticed it because I was quite worried after seeing that message myself.

(Normally I leave the game before my last characters dies, but this time "FaZe Gith xXxQuickScopeXxX360" killed three of my chars in 5 seconds before I could do anything.

Edited by Justt--JD--

5 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Umm, I just spent 60 hrs and the trophy didn't unlock. It still says honor mode and everything. I'm fuming here.

Did you have a complete party wipe?

After doing some more research on-line, I think that the game invalidates that playthrough the moment it happens.

No matter if you use cloud saves or close the game.

It still says Honor Ruleset in my Difficulty settings and Tactitian Difficulty, but i definitely have had complete party wipe since it was my first playthrough but i would close out at the dialogue and reload.  I guess I will find out for certain when i beat it soon, but that is going to suck having to do another run and killing it before any party wipes

4 minutes ago, Justt--JD-- said:

Did you have a complete party wipe?

After doing some more research on-line, I think that the game invalidates that playthrough the moment it happens.

No matter if you use cloud saves or close the game.

I did, but closed the game out. I think my only actual wipe was in Act 1 against that Githyanki that counters with swords when you attack him, but closed the game when the message popped up so it didn't save.

That's retarded if it hides the fact the run is invalid from the player. I'll revisit it in a few months for another attempt I guess. Kinda burnt out of BG3 atm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I did, but closed the game out. I think my only actual wipe was in Act 1 against that Githyanki that counters with swords when you attack him, but closed the game when the message popped up so it didn't save.

That's retarded if it hides the fact the run is invalid from the player. I'll revisit it in a few months for another attempt I guess. Kinda burnt out of BG3 atm.

Pretty burned out myself as well now after 3 failed/bugged runs.

1st : Karlach Romance bugged out because of Wyll's stupid dance.

2nd : Left Behind trophy bugged out because despite stopping a certain someone at a cage, I found her lifeless body 15 hours later somewhere.

3rd : Now with this party wipe thing.

Really causes all the good feelings that I have about the game to fade away.

Edit : 
If someone could confirm they got this trophy with quiting the game regularly, that would be perfect.

Edited by Justt--JD--
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Justt--JD-- said:

Edit : 
If someone could confirm they got this trophy with quiting the game regularly, that would be perfect.

I quited the game a fair amount during certain bosses, although I never got close to having even a single party member killed, let alone the whole party.

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Umm, I just spent 60 hrs and the trophy didn't unlock. It still says honor mode and everything. I'm fuming here.

This might be a pretty dumb question, but did you use Gale's chest nuke? The trophy won't unlock this way, even if you use it at the end of Act 3.

Edited by BusyFace13

17 minutes ago, BusyFace13 said:

I quited the game a fair amount during certain bosses, although I never got close to having even a single party member killed, let alone the whole party.

This might be a pretty dumb question, but did you use Gale's chest nuke? The trophy won't unlock this way, even if you use it at the end of Act 3.

I did not use Gale. I guess from what you and others are describing, seems to be okay to quit the game, but if you ever see the party wipe message the trophy is void regardless of what the save file says.

I did see people say it was okay to use Gale as a nuke in Act 3, but Act 2 doesn't count. Not sure if anyone has an experience Act 3 doesn't work.

18 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

It's possible that the game saves in the background so you cannot totally cheese this.

Did you back your game up on the cloud? Which, even if you did that you will have to disable auto-sync.

14 minutes ago, exsentry said:

It's possible that the game saves in the background so you cannot totally cheese this.

Did you back your game up on the cloud? Which, even if you did that you will have to disable auto-sync.

So if the game did save in the background, the save file would have been switched to custom difficulty, not honor mode. From what others have said in this thread, there seems to be some backend process that happens when you see the party wipe screen that voids the trophy. It seems perfectly fine to quit the game if you are losing, but the moment you see that screen regardless of if it saves, the trophy seems to be void.

The cloud save would be useless in my case, as it's toward the end of the game well past where I saw the wipe. It's fine, now that I know what it is looking for, it's easy to avoid. I still think they should make it clear a run is invalid for earning rewards (there is also an in-game golden dice) if the save file still says honor mode, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

So if the game did save in the background, the save file would have been switched to custom difficulty, not honor mode. From what others have said in this thread, there seems to be some backend process that happens when you see the party wipe screen that voids the trophy. It seems perfectly fine to quit the game if you are losing, but the moment you see that screen regardless of if it saves, the trophy seems to be void.

The cloud save would be useless in my case, as it's toward the end of the game well past where I saw the wipe. It's fine, now that I know what it is looking for, it's easy to avoid. I still think they should make it clear a run is invalid for earning rewards (there is also an in-game golden dice) if the save file still says honor mode, but it is what it is.

It's messed up entire anyway.

In the main menu, your file is called "Tactician"

When you look for your save manually, it says "Honour Mode"

I think this trophy is probably better done in a couple months from now when there is a definitive answer about all of this.

But, I am stupid so I'm just going to try it again.

At least now I can pretty much blow through ACT 1 and the underdark without any issues. :P

You have to do two runs anyway, so if you botch the first run Honor mode by a full party wipe even though you kill the game at the dialogue box, i suppose you can do it your second run using Dark Urge and being very conservative to shut the game down if you are thinking all your chars might die.  The only risk are single nuke wipes to say a trap or tough boss.  I have heard there are ways to use 3 party members and to keep 1 sitting in Camp as a mitigation, but this can cause soft freeze issues or doesn't work on certain encounters apparently such as Ketheric fight 2.  Of course, this assumes you haven't already platinumed the game.  If you have, then it sucks more cuz you are looking at 3 to 5 runs depending on how screwed you have been with trophies such as Leave No One Behind, Hot Date, etc.

Edited by ByteTyson

There don't seem to be any bugs with getting the honour mode trophy when done properly and following the rules of the difficulty. However, it makes sense that exiting out of the game on a wipe to keep your save will actually nullify your chance to get the trophy on said file. For those that are unaware: honour mode saves the game ALL THE TIME just like in Divinity Original Sin 2 in order to prevent people from cheesing this trophy. This includes on closing the game.

I can say that when playing my honour mode file on PC, the game saves your file whenever you close the game, basically auto-saving your progress at all times to prevent any sort of save scumming. It seems this applies to the PS5 version in a similar way. While closing the game with a shutdown command, it may SEEM like you're setting the clock back, but the game *will* save the knowledge of your party wipe in this short time or upon the party wipe happening (it is possible to program things to take actions on shutdown like this). Larian has essentially scripted the game to prevent people from getting the trophy without having the intended experience.

This doesn't mean they prevent you from using other means around the single save (cross platform saves or (if on PC) making backup saves). That being said, it still takes away from the intended experience of this difficulty and isn't recommended.

tl;dr: A total party wipe will 100% nullify your chances of getting this trophy on a save no matter what you do to try and rewind the clock.

8 hours ago, KuronishiUehara said:

Do quit before all wipe void it too?

That's not something I can confirm as I didn't even think about quitting to mess with my saves in my honour mode playthrough. I can only confirm what I know about honour mode and make speculations from there. So, there is a chance that quitting the game before your last party member is killed won't void the trophy. But there also exists the chance that it could (I wouldn't know without testing or being able to look at the code). Even if closing the game doesn't void the trophy, though, I would recommend against doing so as it has the chance to corrupt your save.

Basically, if you want to play honour mode, just play by its rules to have the proper experience. There's a good chance the devs considered trophy hunters and put systems in place to prevent people from trying to circumvent the proper way to play the difficulty for a trophy (speaking as someone who's been in game dev, this is pretty likely). Trying to circumvent the intended experience for the trophy will only lead to frustration, whether it's the save voiding your chances or losing it to corruption.