Iceborne is supposed to be an expansion-type dlc for mh:world, so why does it appear as a separate game with its own platinum?

Wabo_RockyXD

It is just a DLC, so if you buy it then you'll be earning trophies from both lists while playing. There's really no telling why they gave it special treatment, especially since Monster Hunter Rise's Sunbreak DLC was handled the normal way, but who's gonna complain about a bonus plat?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 5:49 AM, Wabo_RockyXD said:

Well, I am a person who is not familiar with the saga and I have redeemed this game on PS Plus, and I thought about buying its expansion at some point to enjoy it more, but I don't understand why said expansion appears as a new game apart from the main game on trophy lists

As far as I know, it was originally released on PS4 (also Xbox1 and M.windows), since were here in PSN, let’s focus about PS.

No one can explain how expansion has a separate game with separate platinum. I guess it’s a blessing for Trophy hunters.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:58 AM, Xylobe said:

It is just a DLC, so if you buy it then you'll be earning trophies from both lists while playing. There's really no telling why they gave it special treatment, especially since Monster Hunter Rise's Sunbreak DLC was handled the normal way, but who's gonna complain about a bonus plat?

Nintendo Switch game ported to PS4/PS5 console, maybe the Sunbreak DLC is free that’s why no extra platinum. I guess?

42 minutes ago, raiichan said:

Nintendo Switch game ported to PS4/PS5 console, maybe the Sunbreak DLC is free that’s why no extra platinum. I guess?

Sunbreak is a paid DLC on all platforms. It's basically Rise's version of World's Iceborne expansion. You can't play either without the correct base game.

As to the OP's question, if you're referring to the trophies it really depends on Sony's rules and what the game developers/publishers want. From my understanding, there's basically an extra cost to trophies that publishers have to pay. I imagine a DLC with it's own platinum must cost more which is probably why it's rare to see that setup.

• Like 1

The explanation is likely just that Capcom was willing to pay for it to happen. It used to be the case that the expanded versions would only be sold as entirely separate games, being able to it as DLC is a relatively new development. As for why they didn't do it with Rise, I'd guess they didn't care as much there since that wasn't a mainline title + a Switch port. We'll have to wait and see what they do for Wilds and its inevitable expansion.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sunbreak should've gotten its own platinum as well, and I'm still extremely annoyed that it didn't (especially considering how much grinding you have to put into it).

Don't care that it's DLC either. They already let the cat out of the bag with Iceborne, and they should've stuck to it. Plus, the way they organized and segmented Sunbreak's trophies is an absolute abomination to look at. lol There's also a trophy in the final Sunbreak list that is essentially the equivalent to the base game's platinum (yes, I'm aware that it exists in-game as an award as well).

Edited by Zephrese

On 11/15/2023 at 10:58 PM, Xylobe said:

There's really no telling why they gave it special treatment, especially since Monster Hunter Rise's Sunbreak DLC was handled the normal way, but who's gonna complain about a bonus plat?

16 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Sunbreak should've gotten its own platinum as well, and I'm still extremely annoyed that it didn't (especially considering how much grinding you have to put into it).

Don't care that it's DLC either. They already let the cat out of the bag with Iceborne, and they should've stuck to it. 

This was already explained multiple times in Modern Warfare 2 (2023) related threads. You can see for yourself that the PS4 version of MW 2 has its own Platinum, while the PS5 version's trophy list is integrated as a DLC. It is a limitation of how the trophy lists are implemented on PS5. When the game shares the same launcher, it can no longer have more than one Platinum. Sunbreak/Rise is PS5 only, so there is that.

Edited by BloodyRutz

9 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

This was already explained multiple times in Modern Warfare 2 (2023) related threads. You can see the PS4 version of MW 2 has its own Platinum, while the PS5 version's trophy list is integrated as a DLC. It is a limitation of how the trophy lists are implemented on PS5. When the game shares the same launcher, it can no longer have more than one Platinum. Sunbreak/Rise is PS5 only, so there is that.

I don't care about modern Call of Duty, so I wouldn't have known that. Thank you for the explanation regardless. Leave it to Sony to fuck up something so simple (that their previous hardware had gotten right already, no less), although I've noticed this a lot with the PS5's features (or lack thereof) in general... 😕

Edited by Zephrese

1 minute ago, Zephrese said:

I don't care about modern Call of Duty, so I wouldn't have known that. Thank you for the explanation regardless. Leave it to Sony to fuck up something so simple, although I've noticed this a lot with the PS5's features (or lack thereof) in general...

I haven't played the last iterations of Call of Duty, I just like to read up on stuff. Anyway, I don't think Sony fucked this up. It makes complete sense, one game equals one Platinum trophy. Sunbreak and Icerborne DLCs are so big, that they should have been released as standalone content and this "issue" would be nonexistent.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

I haven't played the last iterations of Call of Duty, I just like to read up on stuff. Anyway, I don't think Sony fucked this up. It makes complete sense, one game equals one Platinum trophy. Sunbreak and Icerborne DLCs are so big, that they should have been released as standalone content and this "issue" would be nonexistent.

I was talking about Sony seemingly fucking up how trophy lists work compared to how they did on PS4 in general (and some of the rather unnecessary changes they made as well), not this instance specifically as it's not so much a "fuck up" as it is something I personally find annoying.

I get that it makes sense, but - as I said previously due to Iceborne - it still annoys me regardless and I wish they hadn't done things in the manner that they did. They absolutely should not have released Iceborne and Sunbreak as their own thing. The point of them being DLC/expansions was to move away from the old and outdated rerelease approach (e.g the G/Ultimate versions) Capcom used to put out, thus streamlining the games and their post-launch content as well as reducing how much the customer has to pay and removing the need of having to restart each game to get to the new content added in said rereleases.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1