Unknown’s Crypt of the Necrodancer Journey

UnknownProphesy

Welcome! Despite being the most difficult game ever, it's actually quite fun. Obviously, you won't get hooked to it right off the bat, as it takes to while for people to understand the game, so until then, it's just going to be a lot of trial and error. You should start to get better at the game in a month or two, then just keep going from there till you feel like you have enough experience to go for the much more difficult trophies. Amplified might come in handy balancing certain enemies and reducing the chances of certain hazards spawning, making floors impossible to complete. Don't expect a lot of guides for this game, as it has a very small player base, so most of the stuff you have to figure out on your own. Good Luck!!

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 1

@UnknownProphesy I wish you the best of luck on Necrodancer Unknown.

@TheBeetleX Beetle I have to say that you've done a fucking fantastic job on Crypt of the Necrodancer.  #1 Fastest Achiever makes you the best of the best. You've earned the Lifetime Premium Membership gift. Enjoyed. There's one more thing I like to say though. You've defeated one of my closest friend of mine and he's also a Necrodancer like us and that's @r2rokid. Merry early Xmas Beetle. 🎄

Edited by Kyoka Eden
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kyoka Eden said:

@UnknownProphesy I wish you the best of luck on Necrodancer Unknown.

@TheBeetleX Beetle I have to say that you've done a fucking fantastic job on Crypt of the Necrodancer.  #1 Fastest Achiever makes you the best of the best. You've earned the Lifetime Premium Membership gift. Enjoyed. There's one more thing I like to say though. You've defeated one of my closest friend of mine and he's also a Necrodancer like us and that's @r2rokid. Merry early Xmas Beetle. 🎄

Holy shit.. Thanks so much for the Premium Membership this means everything to me! Getting this platinum was something i thought was impossible for me.. I almost quit going for it when i was trying to play monk because his vow of poverty mechanic drove me insane! Goodluck and i wish you the best with your Necrodancer journey! ❤️ ❤️🎄

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 3:10 PM, draqilo said:

If anyone can tell to mods, that *name removed* cheated by autopopping by vita, it took him 21 hours and 9 minutes, you can look at the timestamps!! This should result a ban!

No need to post they can be caught very easily. Also, finishing this game is actually very doable in under 24 hours, despite being a 10 year old game, no one hasn't pulled it off on Console. Someone managed to do it on Steam in 8 hours. The fastest time you can get is around 3 to 4 hours. The all characters and green bat hunting will suck a lot of time out of you, and somehow you have to pull off a Coda run, which are always very intense and of course the hardest trophy on PSN. Lowest sadly, you can't just do the All Characters DLC and autopop the original run, so no matter what, you have two all characters run, one low% run and one with the All Characters DLC.

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UnknownProphesy said:

Monthly Update #1

Hello everyone here is my first detailed monthly update for December on my progress on obtaining the Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. I first started the game on December 6 of 2023 and as I was getting used to the mechanics and enemies I started to complete All Zones mode with the characters. I first beat Cadence which took 14h. Then I started Bard which only took 47m to beat. Next I started Eli which took around 4h and 14m to beat. After that I beat Dove in 1h 18m. Dorian in 1h 36m, Melody in 2h 49m, Monk in 2h 33m, and Bolt in around 8h. Now this is around the 7-8 day mark of playing this game I got started on the next character which was the first major hurdle. Aria which was a struggle for the first couple of days as I couldn’t get past Zone 4. I started on Aria at 37h of playtime. It took me around 16 hours just to beat Zone 4. I switched the soundtrack for Aria early on to Danny B  since that’s the soundtrack I’ve been used to as most characters are on this soundtrack. The main issue for me clearing Aria was I would always randomly hit the beat to early on 4-3 a lot of times even though it felt like I was keeping up with the tempo. Then roughly 60h later of playing Aria I switch back to FamilyJules to see if I was better at that soundtrack and I noticed something. This song is kinda slow compared to the other one! Now I don’t know if that is actually true or that maybe I’m more in sync with FamilyJules but I would not randomly hit the beat to early while on 4-3 that much anymore. I keep on going with the Aria runs and I got to Zone 1 a couple of times and died by not paying attention most of the time. One example of one of those runs is that I was focused on one of the goblins that only chase you when you walk away, I got closer to it being one tile diagonally away then focusing on the goblin I led it to the right side of the room so I can dig a wall and have the goblin one tile below me. I dig the wall and as soon as I tried hitting the goblin I noticed the trapdoor that was below and immediately died. I even got to the Golden Lute another time but failed because I couldn’t do the quick kill strategy I’ve practiced for. After taking a day break from the game I came back and finally beat Aria 16 days after starting her character and a total of 83 hours playing her character before getting the first clear. This also means I got the Low% clear trophy too so I would not have to play on Low% until the very final trophy of the game which I know will be hundreds of hours from now. I was really motivated then as Aria did give me my first doubts as a character that can’t miss beats I could only image how difficult Coda will be. The next thing I did after clearing Aria was obviously go to bed💀

Then after getting back on the game I started getting some of the miscellaneous trophies that I could easily get and that left me with only a couple of trophies left in the base game. These trophies are Speed Demon, Polyamorous, Undeadly, Impossible Right? and Lowest of the Low. That is my current progress on getting this platinum. This month of January I first plan on getting the easier of the trophies out of the way first. Those two being Speed Demon and Undeadly which will leave me with Polyamorous, Impossible Right? and Lowest of the Low. I then plan to practice for the Polyamorous trophy and hopefully have that done by the end of the month so I can start on the Amplified DLC trophies.

It is also worth mentioning that I am live-streaming my full journey from start to finish on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/@UnknownProphecy

Feel free to join in on the stream chat as I do have the chat go to my screen.

This concludes my first update on my progress I’ll be back next month for another update. Any feedback or tips given is greatly appreciated.

That's a really solid progress in not that many hours! Congrats. 

I'm also very close to start my Journey, so it's nice to follow someone else doing the same! Subscribed on YouTube 😁

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:22 AM, UnknownProphesy said:

Monthly Update #1

Hello everyone here is my first detailed monthly update for December on my progress on obtaining the Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. I first started the game on December 6 of 2023 and as I was getting used to the mechanics and enemies I started to complete All Zones mode with the characters. I first beat Cadence which took 14h. Then I started Bard which only took 47m to beat. Next I started Eli which took around 4h and 14m to beat. After that I beat Dove in 1h 18m. Dorian in 1h 36m, Melody in 2h 49m, Monk in 2h 33m, and Bolt in around 8h. Now this is around the 7-8 day mark of playing this game I got started on the next character which was the first major hurdle. Aria which was a struggle for the first couple of days as I couldn’t get past Zone 4. I started on Aria at 37h of playtime. It took me around 16 hours just to beat Zone 4. I switched the soundtrack for Aria early on to Danny B  since that’s the soundtrack I’ve been used to as most characters are on this soundtrack. The main issue for me clearing Aria was I would always randomly hit the beat to early on 4-3 a lot of times even though it felt like I was keeping up with the tempo. Then roughly 60h later of playing Aria I switch back to FamilyJules to see if I was better at that soundtrack and I noticed something. This song is kinda slow compared to the other one! Now I don’t know if that is actually true or that maybe I’m more in sync with FamilyJules but I would not randomly hit the beat to early while on 4-3 that much anymore. I keep on going with the Aria runs and I got to Zone 1 a couple of times and died by not paying attention most of the time. One example of one of those runs is that I was focused on one of the goblins that only chase you when you walk away, I got closer to it being one tile diagonally away then focusing on the goblin I led it to the right side of the room so I can dig a wall and have the goblin one tile below me. I dig the wall and as soon as I tried hitting the goblin I noticed the trapdoor that was below and immediately died. I even got to the Golden Lute another time but failed because I couldn’t do the quick kill strategy I’ve practiced for. After taking a day break from the game I came back and finally beat Aria 16 days after starting her character and a total of 83 hours playing her character before getting the first clear. This also means I got the Low% clear trophy too so I would not have to play on Low% until the very final trophy of the game which I know will be hundreds of hours from now. I was really motivated then as Aria did give me my first doubts as a character that can’t miss beats I could only image how difficult Coda will be. The next thing I did after clearing Aria was obviously go to bed💀

Then after getting back on the game I started getting some of the miscellaneous trophies that I could easily get and that left me with only a couple of trophies left in the base game. These trophies are Speed Demon, Polyamorous, Undeadly, Impossible Right? and Lowest of the Low. That is my current progress on getting this platinum. This month of January I first plan on getting the easier of the trophies out of the way first. Those two being Speed Demon and Undeadly which will leave me with Polyamorous, Impossible Right? and Lowest of the Low. I then plan to practice for the Polyamorous trophy and hopefully have that done by the end of the month so I can start on the Amplified DLC trophies.

It is also worth mentioning that I am live-streaming my full journey from start to finish on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/@UnknownProphecy

Feel free to join in on the stream chat as I do have the chat go to my screen.

This concludes my first update on my progress I’ll be back next month for another update. Any feedback or tips given is greatly appreciated.

Nice congrats Aria is definitely the hardest character for beginners some people actually find her unplayable too as all your movement must be perfectly on beat, as for her low% run she has the easiest challenge character low% run however it is much more stressful than other characters as she doesn't get any health at all. That would mean you have to do a Hitless run with her to win, thankfully the developers were nice enough to spawn her with a protection item old Aria was a pain back then no protection item and at some point she had to deal with sprits and other banned enemies like red bats. Also, all the soundtracks play at the same speed, so there is no such thing as a faster or slower soundtrack Danny B syncs well with normal tempo characters and Virt, Chipzel, and A-Rival sync well with double tempo characters. Since you cleared Aria you shouldn't have any issue completing the all character's mode as she's the main roadblock stopping people from clearing the mode everyone else is very doable without any experience, you do need to clear seven in a row till you are pretty much in the clear of completing the mode as you should have the two easiest characters for last. Obviously the unlock for completing the mode is Coda which isn't as difficult as it was back then as you cheese a Coda clear with the Amplified Phasing mode permanent phasing right away with the only downside is having to complete zone five.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly Update #2 - New Practice - ( Jan 1 - Jan 31 2024)

Hello everyone I’m back again with another detailed update on my progress on my Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. This time I will let you know the progress I achieved in the month of January. I first started with getting the speed demon trophy which was a little tricky since you can’t waste time so it took a little practice before getting it. Then after I got that trophy I went for the next trophy which is Undeadly. My first attempt at getting those 10 wins in a row starting off good I got 2 wins and was about to get another since I got good items but then the game crashed💀. This surprised me since this was my first crash ever in this game in 120+ hours of already playing and it just had to crash in an important long trophy like this one. I decided to call it a day and the next time I got on the game to attempt it again I was actually able to get the Undeadly trophy. Now this is around January 3rd of getting this so that meant I had the rest of the month to practice for the All Chars run.

I started practicing bolt but decided to switch and practice the easier characters first and eventually started practicing the big four characters and I am currently practicing Aria without playing on low% and once I get a couple of clears with Aria I will start the All chars runs. That is my current progress. This month of February I will get good enough with Aria and start All chars runs and will let everyone know how far I got in my next update.

Now I started slowing down my progress around this month since I wanted to take my time with getting this platinum. This is because I want to prevent the only thing that will prevent me from obtaining this platinum and that is burnout. My previous platinum I obtained was a long MMO I completed in 305h, I was planning on completing all the dlc but by the time I completed the platinum in a relatively short timeframe I was burned out and wanted to move on to the next game. I want to make extra sure this doesn’t happen in this game since I am planning on doing one of those platinum trophy videos when I obtain the platinum. I also plan on adding something unique that other platinum trophy videos haven’t added. I will also take my time with this video since no one has made one of those platinum trophy style videos with Crypt yet so when I obtain this platinum and no one has made one of those videos yet, It looks like I will be the first. So when I get this platinum expect one of those platinum trophy style videos soon after.

Playtime

December: 124h

January: 45h

Current playtime: 169h

Trophy Progress

25/42 :platinum:

Edited by UnknownProphesy
additional info
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:00 AM, UnknownProphesy said:

Monthly Update #2

Hello everyone I’m back again with another detailed update on my progress on my Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. This time I will let you know the progress I achieved in the month of January. I first started with getting the speed demon trophy which was a little tricky since you can’t waste time so it took a little practice before getting it. Then after I got that trophy I went for the next trophy which is Undeadly. My first attempt at getting those 10 wins in a row starting off good I got 2 wins and was about to get another since I got good items but then the game crashed💀. This surprised me since this was my first crash ever in this game in 120+ hours of already playing and it just had to crash in an important long trophy like this one. I decided to call it a day and the next time I got on the game to attempt it again I was actually able to get the Undeadly trophy. Now this is around January 3rd of getting this so that meant I had the rest of the month to practice for the All Chars run.

I started practicing bolt but decided to switch and practice the easier characters first and eventually started practicing the big four characters and I am currently practicing Aria without playing on low% and once I get a couple of clears with Aria I will start the All chars runs. That is my current progress. This month of February I will get good enough with Aria and start All chars runs and will let everyone know how far I got in my next update.

Now I started slowing down my progress around this month since I wanted to take my time with getting this platinum. This is because I want to prevent the only thing that will prevent me from obtaining this platinum and that is burnout. My previous platinum I obtained was a long MMO I completed in 305h, I was planning on completing all the dlc but by the time I completed the platinum in a relatively short timeframe I was burned out and wanted to move on to the next game. I want to make extra sure this doesn’t happen in this game since I am planning on doing one of those platinum trophy videos when I obtain the platinum. I also plan on adding something unique that other platinum trophy videos haven’t added. I will also take my time with this video since no one has made one of those platinum trophy style videos with Crypt yet so when I obtain this platinum and no one has made one of those videos yet, It looks like I will be the first. So when I get this platinum expect one of those platinum trophy style videos soon after.

Nice congrats, the Cadence speedrun is pretty difficult as her unique bosses can be a time waster, Cadence has the easier speedrun trophy actually as the Nocturna speedrun is so much worse. The Cadence undying is super easy, but also a huge time waster takes several hours just to reach 10 wins, you only need to be careful at the beginning as she has equipment yet and can be taken down easily.

Edited by Yukiko Miyamoto

1 hour ago, LukeTheGooner said:

that would get a ton of views if promoted properly

On 2/1/2024 at 12:00 AM, UnknownProphesy said:

I also plan on adding something unique that other platinum trophy videos haven’t added.

I do plan on taking my time on the video once I obtain the platinum and won’t release it until I’m satisfied by the end result. In the video I also plan on showing just how long it would take to get this platinum by putting a playtime counter. Since I have live-streamed the whole journey I know how long It took me before getting trophies in the game so putting a playtime counter and updating it each time I get a trophy would show how long you play before getting another trophy. As for promotion Ill let this forum know and the Necrodancer Reddit community when I release this video.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UnknownProphesy said:

I do plan on taking my time on the video once I obtain the platinum and won’t release it until I’m satisfied by the end result. In the video I also plan on showing just how long it would take to get this platinum by putting a playtime counter. Since I have live-streamed the whole journey I know how long It took me before getting trophies in the game so putting a playtime counter and updating it each time I get a trophy would show how long you play before getting another trophy. As for promotion Ill let this forum know and the Necrodancer Reddit community when I release this video.

us the end result of the video as motivation to plat this game, I look forward to watching it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly update #3 - Advancement - (Feb 1 - Feb 29 2024) 

Hello everyone I’m back again for another update on my Crypt of the Necrodancer journey. Dropping this a bit early as I achieved everything I wanted as planned this month. Some major developments have happened since my previous update so I’ll let you all know my progress of February. I first started with practicing Aria and was satisfied with my progress so I began the All chars runs. The first day of my All chars started off pretty rough I was only able to get to my third character in my All chars run before dying. I should mention that my original order for All chars run was Dove>Monk>Bolt>Melody>Cadence>Cadence>Eli>Dorian>Bard. The second day I managed to make some progress I was able to get to my fourth character which was Aria but I died. The next day I played I switched up my order to include Aria as my second character and dove as my first but kept dying on Aria. The fourth day I switched my big four order thanks to a recommendation from @Im_Wizolo which was now Aria>Monk>Dove>Bolt and I got to monk before dying. The next day I made major progress and passed the big four characters. I kept beating every character after that until eventually I got to my 8th out the 9 characters which was Dorian I was currently on. I made it to zone 3 I had a feeling this could be run but misfortune struck and I died. I was so close to beating it of course that would be extremely demoralizing. But even after that run I could still keep going! I started again but early on my attempts I got a massive headache so completion of my All chars run will have to have wait to the very next day. The very next day I started my All Chars run and made one final order Adjustment. This order was Aria>Monk>Dove>Bolt>Dorian>Melody>Cadence>Eli>Bard. After starting my All chars again it took me around 13 minutes before I was on a good run. I was able to beat the big four characters once again and managed to pass Dorian which I failed on last time. I was breezing past the remaining characters until I eventually made it to bard. I found a potion early so all I would need is a couple more hearts and I’ll be good. I kept progressing and got a couple of more hearts so I was good for the rest of the run. I eventually made it to the final boss and I beat it completing the All chars run and unlocking Coda. To summarize it took around 20 hours of starting the All chars grind before I got the trophy. Now this is around February 7 so I still have plenty of progress left to share. So what’s next after the All Chars run? Well if I was just going for the platinum I would be starting Coda but I’m going for the 100% so I decided to start the Amplified DLC. I began the dlc and began playing through the new content the dlc offers and got a couple of trophies from it. Those trophies are The Zone 5 clear trophy, Nocturna All Zones Clear trophy and some others. I then started going for the different trophies for the modes in the DLC. Some of the modes were easy but some others took a bit of work to pull off. After I had only the story mode left to complete I decided to go for the Nocturna 15 minute Speedrun trophy and that trophy was a pain to pull off but eventually I did. I then shifted my focus on practicing Aria in the new DLC before I start the story mode since Aria is the very last character in that mode and the rest of the characters are easy to clear. Once I got comfortable in the new zone with Aria I started the story mode and made it all the way to Aria. First attempt making it to Aria I died to a boss and had to try again. Once I made it back to Aria in my second attempt I lost my potion early on but found another one so I was in the clear for now. Progressing further into the zones I lost this potion and had to be careful. I then found a scroll of need and got a 3RD potion! I then finally made it to the Golden Lute boss and was able to perform the quick kill strategy completing the run. I now only had one trophy left in the Amplified DLC and that was Very Polyamorous. I began practicing on the new characters that would be trouble which were Tempo and Mary. I practiced each of them for one day before going for Very Polyamorous. I practiced tempo for about 5 hours and Mary for about 4 hours. I then started the Very Polyamorous grind late at night. I wasn’t going to play for that day but I thought O well let’s see how far I get in the first stream. I originally started with Tempo but then switched it to Mary so my order was Mary>Tempo>Aria>Monk>Dove>Bolt>Melody>Nocturna>Dorian>Cadence>Eli>Diamond>Bard. So after an hour or so of playing I beat both Mary and tempo which were the main new DLC characters that pose a challenge to the run. I then started Aria and immediately lost the potion not even one minute in 💀. But I turned it around as I found another potion. Eventually I got to the Golden Lute and thankfully was able to perform the quick kill strategy. My next challenge was to avoid gold with monk as I haven’t practiced the new zone with him so that zone might be a problem because the electric lines. Eventually I beat monk and bolt and well it was smooth sailing from there. I eventually made it to diamond but my stream was cut off so I had to restart the stream. I would have been really pissed if the game crashed at this far into the run. But thankfully that didn’t happen to me and I eventually cleared Bard getting the Very Polyamorous trophy and an infinite error message until I closed the game. To summarize the Very Polyamorous grind it took me around 6 hours and 36 minutes of starting the grind before I got the trophy. I didn’t expect to get the trophy so soon but I guess I’m just built different so I decided to take a break for the rest of the month to prepare for the colossal challenge I’m about to begin. I got the Very Polyamorous trophy Feb 22 and the rest of the days I decided will be used as a break as I stated. Finally after 238 hours I’m finally at the platinum killer trophies of the game. Now it’s time for me to find out if I got what it takes to push through the two remaining trophies and achieve NecroMaster? Or will I give up like so many others have going for this platinum? I guess you’ll have to find out in the next update!

Community feedback

How far can I get in a month of playing coda? Post your predictions I’d love to see if someone gets it right or is close.

Topic moved

Also I realized between this and the previous update my topic was moved to the trophy checklist forum for some reason? It seems this forum is for talking about getting platinums with multiple games but I’m only about talking about my journey with one game? So I thought it would make more sense for it to be in the Crypt forum but either way it looks like I’ll get some new people to look at my current journey so hello 👋 anyone new.

TLDR: I got the Polyamorous trophy and also got all the DLC trophies.

Playtime

February: 69h

Current Playtime: 238h

Looks like my playtime peak has not peaked since the first month but that will change in the month of march.

Trophy Progress

39/42:platinum:

Edited by UnknownProphesy
additional information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Monthly Update #4 - Crossroads - (March 1 - March 31 2024)

Hello everyone I’m back with another progress update on my Crypt of the Necrodancer journey. This month I dedicated my full playtime on learning the double tempo to eventually clear coda. I first initially started playing on coda to learn the double tempo but the game kept crashing frequently. So after a couple of days I decided to learn the beat on Bolt. Around 13 days in the new synchrony dlc released dropping 9 new trophies to the game. These new trophies are a lot simpler then the Amplified trophies so I was able to complete l them the same day it released so I soon got back to the double tempo learning. Now this did start getting repetitive to me playing bolt and clearing the zones over and over to learn the double tempo. I kept playing on bolt till the end of the month. I also am about to complete my other game I play besides Crypt so I should have more time to play in April and I will start the Coda grind again now that I have played on double tempo on bolt. I still haven’t mastered it but I’ll learn through trial and error on coda. Next update perhaps I’ll have more progress to update on.

TLDR: I spend some time on learning the double tempo and also got the new DLC Trophies.

Playtime

February: 69h

March: 75h

Current Playtime: 313h

Looks like I didn’t quite hit the desired playtime on March but perhaps that will change in April.

Trophy Progress

48/51:platinum: