Farming Umbral Scourings

Sirpickle311

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, Sirpickle311 said:

Do you really have to kill the Scarlet Shadow like 160 times just to get enough umbral scourings to buy all the remembrance items? This seems way too hard and time consuming, am I missing something? 

Just doing another playthrough sounds faster. 3x per stigma and 8x for most bosses.

• Like 1

Even though you can get Umbral Scourings for avenging lampbearers, that's slow. You only get enough plucked eyeballs to buy one Umbral Scouring. I still needed to buy Judge Cleric's items out, but decided not to farm and started a RG+.

Considering the time it takes to kill one and the risk, you deserve more US's for killing a Scarlet Shadow. After the first one (20) it's only 5. I've never bothered killing Scarlets except for the one required to get the trophy and Marco's Umbral Eye.

I wish Molhu had more than 3 Umbral Scourings to sell. 1000 vigor a piece is worth it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I understand this complaint. I ended up farming just enough to get the boss items for that ending I was going for, then starting a new game.  I also was lucky enough to get summoned a few times for boss fights as well, which helps. 

• 1 month later...

Just to reiterate what others have said, multiple playthroughs is really the baseline for getting more Scourings without duping with another player. If you're going for the plat, you'll need three playthroughs anyways.

Over those three playthroughs, you'll want to (1) defeat the Scarlet Shadow at least once per playthrough for the extra 20 Scourings it drops the first time, (2) avenge fallen Lampbearers with the red lamps whenever you see them, and (3) save Exacter Dunmire's sidequest for your Umbral Ending playthough so you don't "waste" 50 Scourings on the Umbral Scouring Clump in more than one playthrough.

If you do 3 playthroughs and view stigmas, defeat bosses, avenge lampbearers when you see the red lantern, and beat SS in each playthrough, you'll be VERY close to having enough Scourings for all Remembrance items.