Anyone think this game is kind of lowkey awesome?

I think it's a low key cash grab. Like a low effort game made strictly for the cash available as a PS+ monthly essential game. Like Arcadegeddon, Divine Knock Out, or Rocket Arena. Something not intended to require much effort to develop but with a competitive edge to hope for a Hollywood waitress type of moment.

Edited by RaidenXS
  • Like 3

Imma contrast the current influx of negativitry by confirming I really liked the game.

Don't get me wrong, it has clear issues.  Pacing is all over the place, the single playe mode is a bore bets ignored, and the learning curve is steep, especially with how vastly different characters are (though that variation itself is a plus). Yet, music is great, there is a lot of fun in here and you can see the developers had fun making it. Lots of attention to detail, so "no effort" is a  completely baseless accusation.

However, this really feels like it should have been a free2play title from the get-go.

• Like 1

It has a lot of problems in its menus and its matchmaking but i gotta agree with this game being really fun. I might put it down once i beat a hard mission on ps5 and get the last trophy, but I'm actually happy i saved my helldivers money and dove into this game instead. and the soundtrack has a couple bangers on it, Pop! an To the Top especially. The lack of useful feedback in the match breakdown was my biggest frustration for me

last year i played ~140 hours in crash team rumble so maybe failing multiplayer games just have a soft spot with me

Honestly, the game had some potential, but my God’s Square Enix fumbled real bad. I only played it just to get the trophies, and there’s already talk about shutting the servers down and honestly probably for the best

hell I can’t even queue up in a game because barely anyone plays it now

Edited by Justinlh6400

On 4/6/2024 at 7:30 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

New season and Chloe Noir coming April 12th. Do we think they'll add more trophies with the new season update?  😁

Hoping for not

On 4/7/2024 at 12:30 AM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

New season and Chloe Noir coming April 12th. Do we think they'll add more trophies with the new season update?  😁

Probably not because only add a new character and temporary events. But maybe we will have new trophies in future seasons that will add more squad missions and new game modes.

On 4/6/2024 at 6:30 PM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Honestly, I hope not because I kinda don’t wanna play the game but if they do, I guess I’m just gonna have to re-download it play for event and then delete it again

Edited by Justinlh6400

• 2 weeks later...

Although it had a lot of potential in my honest opinion, I surprisingly liked the game a lot and since I had never played Splatoon in my life, I would say that shooting a lot of foam was one of the most fun things for me and at every party was exciting that I got addicted to it and since I had played the game I decided to get its 100% and I honestly don't regret getting it and it has been a nice and fun experience

Better than Helldivers? Not close. But this game has exceeded my expectations. The monetization is a bit excessive which does sorta make it feel like a mobile game... but that's pretty much 90% of modern AAA multiplayer games so just par for course. But the premium battlepass is $6? Hard to call it a moneygrab when the battlepass is that cheap.

Honestly, Foamstars does quite a few things surprisingly well. Some peeps really put on their thinking caps to produce a very mechanically sound game. All the attacks and abilities are projectiles and / or heavily telegraphed. All attacks and abilities are usually avoidable, reducing random KO's and reducing frustration. Like... if you get chilled... it's usually pretty clear you were caught out of position due to a lapse in situational awareness. Or you really did just get outplayed. Or your entire team is getting stomped, which, you know, is a thing that happens in every competitive game. So minus the last one, overall, there's a lot of player agency which is good.

Everything is snappy and feels good ( especially surfing ), the gameplay is easy to pickup, there's surprising depth in zoning and stuff... there's just unmistakable quality throughout.

I was kinda worried the devs had gone too far out of their way to differentiate their game from Splatoon by not including the game mode where victory is dependent solely on percentage of the map your team successfully splooged all over... but honestly? The penalties for moving over opposition foam is significant enough that, at least in Smash the Star, if you don't have map control, you're probably going to lose anyway. So that whole mechanic / game mode is adequately preserved if not perhaps even improved on... because does that one bit in the corner of the map really matter? In Splatoon, yes. In Foamstars, no.

There are some things that can be improved on to make the game more competitive, better spawn protection perhaps. But, tbh, like Helldivers, where the devs famously stated there will never be PvP, Foamstars feels like one of those games that should just ditch its hardcore ( usually toxic ) competitive playerbase and entirely focus on quality casual fun and good vibes.

And ultimately, it is Splatoon but on a different platform. The fact nobody made a Splatoon-like game on another platform until now is mindblowing, but now, it's here, and it's the only thing we got so... simple as that I suppose.

I rate the game. Hell, I like Foamstars more than The Finals. If Soa got a good quality figure exactly like the PS App collectible? I like the game enough. I'd buy it.

Edited by Meeryn
  • Like 4