1.0.1 Patch

Vanqishd

On 5/7/2024 at 1:34 PM, lotusaurasa said:

I admire that level of ignorant optimism, considering this is patch 1.0.1f and we're still sat way back at 1.0.0o putting us at least 6 patches behind this one. And we only just got to that level the same day this patch landed on Steam as a BETA. The equivalent PC version was publicly available well over a month before we even got remotely close to it. Expecting parity with PC releases is foolish considering the dev can do those on his own whenever its done, but for consoles it has to go through extra stuff before it can be applied and the current rate implies we should expect to be caught up to the current state on PC around about this time next year. Maybe. 

I don't think this is right. I think 1.0.0o is the console equivalent to the PC 1.0.0n which was the last patch prior to the experimental balance builds. 1.0.1c was the first experimental patch that was opt-in only for PC and not pushed to the public. Then came 1.0.1e which was the same type of experimental build. 1.0.1f was the first patch to go live to all on PC out of the experimental balance branch. So public release on PC went from 1.0.0n to 1.0.1f with nothing in between.

When consoles are updated, they will go from 1.0.0o to 1.0.1f (or whatever equivalent name). Console wasn't behind at all prior to the release of the balance patch within the past week, and won't be again once this patch is approved by the console platforms.

Hi guys, im about to get balatro. I’d need to know a couple of things. 

1) is the patch dropped on ps ?

2) does someone know for sure if there is some sort of trophy autopopping for balatro if I get the platinum on one version ? Ps4 to ps5 is the most common. This way I know if I have to play ps4 version first or not. In case there is no auto popping at all, I’ll just play the ps5 version from the start. Usually I don’t care and I just play ps5 version first and than play again ps4 version just for trophies. But considering how much demanding in rng balatro is, i d  play the ps4 version first if auto pop is an option with this game. 

9 hours ago, ispaniko said:

Hi guys, im about to get balatro. I’d need to know a couple of things. 

1) is the patch dropped on ps ?

2) does someone know for sure if there is some sort of trophy autopopping for balatro if I get the platinum on one version ? Ps4 to ps5 is the most common. This way I know if I have to play ps4 version first or not. In case there is no auto popping at all, I’ll just play the ps5 version from the start. Usually I don’t care and I just play ps5 version first and than play again ps4 version just for trophies. But considering how much demanding in rng balatro is, i d  play the ps4 version first if auto pop is an option with this game. 

1) No

2) No

Patch finally dropped today (for PS5 at least). I've played a couple gold stake hands and initial impression is its going to be WAY harder to get the plat now. The ability to carry useless jokers is super super diminished now. Only thing that will be objectively easier is farming the legendary joker gold stickers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_T-Bomb said:

Patch finally dropped today (for PS5 at least). I've played a couple gold stake hands and initial impression is its going to be WAY harder to get the plat now. The ability to carry useless jokers is super super diminished now. Only thing that will be objectively easier is farming the legendary joker gold stickers.

What has made it harder for you, in your opinion? I haven't been able to try the new patch yet. It looked like it was going to make it easier.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Vanqishd said:

What has made it harder for you, in your opinion? I haven't been able to try the new patch yet. It looked like it was going to make it easier.

Couple of things. 

1) 7th and 8th blind values are a little higher, which isnt a big deal but definitely will ruin an occasional run that would've otherwise made it on the old patch

2) Run inconsistency. The previous easiest way to grind gold stickers was to recycle starts until you got a good joker that you know could carry you to the end. This allowed you to essentially free up joker slots that could be used to carry deadweight jokers (and there are alot, the new patch didn't make them more viable at all). The reason you can't utilize this strategy anymore is twofold, one all the best jokers got nerfed pretty hard. Jokers like vampire and campfire were instant wins before, and now vampire seems borderline unbuyable. Also with there being a 30% chance a joker is perishable in gold stake basically means there's a 30% chance a joker is unbuyable in the shop, because basically every joker that is valuable in winning gold stake is a scaling joker. 

3) Rental jokers. Previously, once you get to the point where you only have a handful of jokers left to clear once you saw one in the shop you would pick it up even if it didn't help ur run immediately. Now there is a 30% chance that it actively will hurt you to carry in your joker slot.

Overall, its not so much that gold stake itself is going to be harder to beat (although off the bat it feels like it is). It's that the ability to clear the 90+ jokers in gold stake that basically are useless, or close to it, got way harder. 

Also these are just initial impressions. I could be missing the bigger picture in some way. 

EDIT: Came back to this post after playing a few more hours. I think its not going to be exorbitantly harder, but slightly. Not sure though if the extra time it will take to get all 145 regular jokers  will end up outweighing the time saved with the way getting legendary jokers works now. 

Edited by The_Real_T-Bomb

16 hours ago, breaker_pulse said:

Patch is here on PS4 too!!

It seems like Séance is bugged, though. If you see it, don't hover over it (not even in the Collection), it makes my game crash every time.

Issue is not present on PS5, must be only on PS4

Edited by Salvidrim

Impressions after ~24 hours: gold stake is much easier, orange stake is about the same difficulty, and purple stake is a bit harder. The jump up to purple stake might be a bit shocking to some new players, as some things in particular like Violet Vessel now require 1.2 million chips to beat. That being said, once you get a good enough run going early on and can stay ahead of the "DPS check curve", gold no longer being -1 hand size feels like a huge buff to the player. Jokers randomly getting a debuff for -3 dollars per round sucks if it's a really powerful joker and is early on, but generally can be ignored about half the time (for specific cards it can be a buff as well, such as Vagabond). I don't find perishable jokers that threatening, as 5 rounds is more than enough time to (usually) find a decent replacement or spam skips, but if it's a keystone joker you really need it sucks of course. Of course the original orange stake debuff of packs costing more money also felt like sort of an ignorable obstacle in a lot of cases, so I don't think it got any easier or harder.

Also I find it really hilarious that it took me until the magician buff to notice how bad lucky cards were compared to other enchantments. They would get me +$20 decently enough so I always thought "oh they're really good! I should get them as often as possible!" but after doing a lucky cat build with the new buff and barely scraping by for a win I now realize that the value was more or less straight up worse than a mult enchantment before the buff to magician.

On 5/17/2024 at 5:53 PM, Kermamrek said:

Impressions after ~24 hours: gold stake is much easier, orange stake is about the same difficulty, and purple stake is a bit harder. The jump up to purple stake might be a bit shocking to some new players, as some things in particular like Violet Vessel now require 1.2 million chips to beat. That being said, once you get a good enough run going early on and can stay ahead of the "DPS check curve", gold no longer being -1 hand size feels like a huge buff to the player. Jokers randomly getting a debuff for -3 dollars per round sucks if it's a really powerful joker and is early on, but generally can be ignored about half the time (for specific cards it can be a buff as well, such as Vagabond). I don't find perishable jokers that threatening, as 5 rounds is more than enough time to (usually) find a decent replacement or spam skips, but if it's a keystone joker you really need it sucks of course. Of course the original orange stake debuff of packs costing more money also felt like sort of an ignorable obstacle in a lot of cases, so I don't think it got any easier or harder.

Also I find it really hilarious that it took me until the magician buff to notice how bad lucky cards were compared to other enchantments. They would get me +$20 decently enough so I always thought "oh they're really good! I should get them as often as possible!" but after doing a lucky cat build with the new buff and barely scraping by for a win I now realize that the value was more or less straight up worse than a mult enchantment before the buff to magician.

Rental isn't a buff to Vagabond. The proper way to use Vagabond is to have as much post-round money as you can (Gold cards, Golden Joker/Satellite/etc, holding onto Temperance/Hermit etc) and then use it all in the Shop. Rental fees come out of your post-round money. 

13 hours ago, nhindian said:

Rental isn't a buff to Vagabond. The proper way to use Vagabond is to have as much post-round money as you can (Gold cards, Golden Joker/Satellite/etc, holding onto Temperance/Hermit etc) and then use it all in the Shop. Rental fees come out of your post-round money. 

I'm aware, was more talking about ease of use/always making sure it's active. But I suppose thinking about it more the buff from $3 or less to $4 or less practically nullifies all risk of getting in a scenario where you can't get under the threshold which had happened to me a few times pre-patch