The Guild Trophies (Reach Level 900)

I have seen a large amount of talk from people wondering how long Sea of Thieves takes to 100% currently along with what is the longest or hardest trophy grind on the list. Not all of the trophies on the list explain what you actually need to do to earn them. You might think reaching level 75 with different reputations or the 250 mission completions would be some of the longest grind but you would be incorrect.

By far the longest time commitment trophy in the entire trophy list is  "Distinguished Guild Legend" for completing all of the Distinguished Guild Commendations. To earn this trophy you must be in a Guild that has reached level 900 (Known as Distinction 9) and complete some easy challenges in that guild. The hard part is either getting your Guild to level 900 or finding one that will invite you. If you have 24 active guild members and reach at least level 15 with a guild to equip a Guild Emissary Flag Booster, this will take a minimum of 300 hours to complete by itself assuming you have the other reputations high enough to access higher reward missions. To make the most of a Guild Emissary Flag, make sure to equip the Emissary Flag before running missions. Every action performed towards a mission will increase the Emissary Flag Grade up to a maximum of 5 for increased reward gain and guild reputation. Be cautious upon reaching Grade 5 with an Emissary Flag as your location will be visible to all other players on the server. It's also important to note that you cannot form a guild until purchasing captained ships which cost a minimum of 250,000 gold per ship. The more guild ships and the more players, the faster progress will move. Also note that Guild Progress cannot be made in Safer Seas Private Lobbies. If you are invited to a guild that has already reached level 900, you can complete the guild commendations in a few hours time. I would recommend using the Sessions as a way to form groups for Guilds toward the trophy or a location to request invites to a level 900 guild if one is available. You can be in a total of 3 guilds so I will continue to level my own while looking for a level 900 guild to assist me in saving time.

Note on joining a guild or recommendations for those creating one:

If you are interested in joining a guild to work towards level 900, I recommend that you purchase your own Ship of your choice and turn it into a Guild Ship as soon as possible. This way everyone can use their own personal ship to work on guild progress. If you are the Guild Leader, having additional ships as backups for those unable to purchase one immediately is also recommended. Anyone that is inactive for a severely long period of time will impact how quickly guild levels can be obtained. If you wish to remove an inactive player, the players guild ship will return to a standard ship and all progress will be kept.

Edited by ChaoticDoomOfBob

I really appreciate your post. Many people are thinking this game is JUST 1,000 hours. But that’s JUST for the platinum. The 100% will take bare minimum 5,000 hours to complete WITHOUT boosting. If boosted you can do it in 3,000 to 3,500 hours depending on crew efficiency. I’m still personally on the fence if I want to go for this platinum just because I hate boosting and the grind is EXTREME. And I’m personally going for a full 100% completion trophy list so do I really want a stain for 2 years until I can maybe finish it? Seriously think about it guys.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, LordBeavington said:

I really appreciate your post. Many people are thinking this game is JUST 1,000 hours. But that’s JUST for the platinum. The 100% will take bare minimum 5,000 hours to complete WITHOUT boosting. If boosted you can do it in 3,000 to 3,500 hours depending on crew efficiency. I’m still personally on the fence if I want to go for this platinum just because I hate boosting and the grind is EXTREME. And I’m personally going for a full 100% completion trophy list so do I really want a stain for 2 years until I can maybe finish it? Seriously think about it guys.

The platinum is not remotely close to 1,000 hours and the 100% is not remotely close to 5,000. It's significantly lower than that. I have 30 hours on the game so far and I'm at reputation 20 on all factions including the DLC factions. You need to be level 50 with 3 for the Platinum and level 15 with Athenas Fortune. The guild trophy is the most time intensive DLC trophy on the list and if done efficiently can be earned in 300 hours. The reputation grind has changed significantly since the original launch on Xbox.

• Haha 3

Since this is a game that you - ideally - play for years to come... even 3000h isn't much then, in the big picture.

If you are like me and play 200 games at a time... yeah, I will never have 100%. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChaoticDoomOfBob said:

The platinum is not remotely close to 1,000 hours and the 100% is not remotely close to 5,000. It's significantly lower than that. I have 30 hours on the game so far and I'm at reputation 20 on all factions including the DLC factions. You need to be level 50 with 3 for the Platinum and level 15 with Athenas Fortune. The guild trophy is the most time intensive DLC trophy on the list and if done efficiently can be earned in 300 hours. The reputation grind has changed significantly since the original launch on Xbox.

This is incorrect. I’ve spoken in depth to players that have the 100% on Xbox. They’ve said even though the grind was slightly reduced it’s still a minimum 3k hours With boosting. So no offense but you’re wrong.

Guilds were introduced almost 5 months ago so they are still new and the ones who are already maxed out are the community or streamer-related ones just because each member in there is constantly grinding hourglass battles and emergent world events. Sea of Thieves has Community Weekends and Gold & Glory events each season which boost gold, reputation, allegiance, renown (for the battle/plunder pass), AND guild reputation. When those events are live, the guild levels go up even with a semi-active guild. Had Guilds been around a few years ago, I assure you that there would be a lot more maxed out guilds for PlayStation players to join. I would worry more about 100%ing The Hunter's Call trading company as that is pure patience and RNG.

9 hours ago, LordBeavington said:

This is incorrect. I’ve spoken in depth to players that have the 100% on Xbox. They’ve said even though the grind was slightly reduced it’s still a minimum 3k hours With boosting. So no offense but you’re wrong.

What exactly makes it 3,000 hours? I'm at 1,200 hours on Steam and currently at 216/246 while most of the time not even focusing on achievements and just playing with friends, almost all of what I don't have is related to season 10 + 11 which I haven't played much, and I've also done the major stuff like Hourglass & Hunter's Call (besides Pondies & junk items).

EDIT: Since OP has asked not to derail the thread I'll just post an edit but you've not said a single thing about why it takes 3k hours in either of your posts on this thread, you're also spreading misinformation on how long things take - 500 ghost ships is easily doable with the Order of Souls ghost fleet voyage and with the new dive feature will save a bunch of time on sailing. If efficient (even solo) you can easily defeat 20 in around 15-20 minutes so that puts you at around 8-12 hours of grinding - if you're specifically targeting this trophy you don't need the treasure either and can just immediately dive again. I got this achievement around 300-400 hours of play time and I never once specifically focused on it, nor was diving in the game at the time.

Edited by Secret

Yeah I don't know where 3,000 hours comes from either. Those Xbox players are either really bad at the game or they're exaggerating to scare you a bit from starting SoT. The Xbox achievement community is still bitter that Rare hasn't changed the Arena achievements while PlayStation and Steam were able to have those removed entirely.

Edited by TheKamera
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I realized with the amount of requests I have been receiving that I needed to add information to the original post. This is the information that has been added above:

Note on joining a guild or recommendations for those creating one:

If you are interested in joining a guild to work towards level 900, I recommend that you purchase your own Ship of your choice and turn it into a Guild Ship as soon as possible. This way everyone can use their own personal ship to work on guild progress. If you are the Guild Leader, having additional ships as backups for those unable to purchase one immediately is also recommended. Anyone that is inactive for a severely long period of time will impact how quickly guild levels can be obtained. If you wish to remove an inactive player, the players guild ship will return to a standard ship and all progress will be kept.

7 minutes ago, TheKamera said:

Since this thread has changed from general guild discussion, what's the rule on guild recruitment on the forums? Should there be a dedicated thread or can we just advertise via a new thread?

Any such posts or threads asking, or advertising, help are classed as boosting threads, and will be removed.

The Gaming Sessions feature is to be used for anything that falls under the banner of boosting.

The discussion of guilds is fine, but anyone asking for a guild, or advertising a guild will have their post removed or that part of it edited out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Stevieboy!

One thing the OP didn't point out that the guild emissary flag increases in grade level for completing various activities from grade 1 to grade 5. When you are grade 5, your ship will be visible to everyone's map table as the guild friendship icon along with your ship type. If you see that icon on your map table, there's a very good chance that crew has some good loot.

2 minutes ago, TheKamera said:

Thanks, Stevieboy!

One thing the OP didn't point out that the guild emissary flag increases in grade level for completing various activities from grade 1 to grade 5. When you are grade 5, your ship will be visible to everyone's map table as the guild friendship icon along with your ship type. If you see that icon on your map table, there's a very good chance that crew has some good loot.

This is valid information that is helpful to the topic. I will add some of this information to the original post to better clarify how the emissary flag functions for guilds.

4 hours ago, Secret said:

What exactly makes it 3,000 hours? I'm at 1,200 hours on Steam and currently at 216/246 while most of the time not even focusing on achievements and just playing with friends, almost all of what I don't have is related to season 10 + 11 which I haven't played much, and I've also done the major stuff like Hourglass & Hunter's Call (besides Pondies & junk items).

I just explained what makes it 3k hours. There’s several achievements that take 500+ hours just for 1 achievement. The 500 ghost ships is one of them.

4 hours ago, LordBeavington said:

I just explained what makes it 3k hours. There’s several achievements that take 500+ hours just for 1 achievement. The 500 ghost ships is one of them.

500 hours to kill 500 ghost ships is wildly inaccurate. It wasn't even close to that before diving was introduced, nowhere near. I'd love to know what your sources were doing to only manage one kill per hour.

By the way, guilds are awful. Ours is 383 and it's slow, a major slog. But that's what you get when it's balanced for a full roster of 24 players being active, which by the standards of any other game out there would be considered a hardcore guild. Do not do this solo. The only blessing is that the xp doesn't scale upwards as you advance like it would with any other faction.

Edited by Husaria
  • Like 1

I would like to add that although you can have up to 42 ships in a Guild, only 3 ships will be visible in the guild ship list at a time as of the PlayStation 5 Launch. There is a visual issue with the Guild Ship list and the list was capped at the guilds most active 3 ships until the issue is resolved. Normally you can view every players guild ship, how long it has been since they played, how much they have played, and which players in the guild are currently using the ship. This unfortunately is not available at this time.

• Like 1