Is this easier than the rather horrendous cool boarders 1?

mike_87

Back in the day this game was absolutely dreadful. Even for the time (I think IGN gave it like a 2). The trophies don’t look too daunting. I remember the courses being wider than Cool Boarders and I think you can get the score challenges without winning the races. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s far easier than Cool Boarders, as you can turn off the CPU opponents. But, getting over 900 knockdown points against the CPU is pretty easy if you focus on just that instead of placing first.

I had a difficult time pulling off tricks, but I found using the snowboard much easier to pull off the tricks (play any Japan race). I got at least 3 special move tricks (triangle, square, x, o) on the ramps, and barring two ramps which I missed, I did a normal trick on the rest of the ramps (square, triangle), which net me over 1000 trick points.

But, if you can consistently pull off several special move tricks, you should easily be over 1000 points. Just make sure you’re elevated enough when you go through the ramps.

Edited by ZodiacWolve
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ZodiacWolve said:

It’s far easier than Cool Boarders, as you can turn off the CPU opponents. But, getting over 900 knockdown points against the CPU is pretty easy if you focus on just that instead of placing first.

I had a difficult time pulling off tricks, but I found using the snowboard much easier to pull off the tricks (play any Japan race). I got at least 3 special move tricks (triangle, square, x, o) on the ramps, and barring two ramps which I missed, I did a normal trick on the rest of the ramps (square, triangle), which net me over 1000 trick points.

But, if you can consistently pull off several special move tricks, you should easily be over 1000 points. Just make sure you’re elevated enough when you go through the ramps.

How do you turn off cpu opponents?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mike_87 said:

How do you turn off cpu opponents?

In the options menu.

-

For more information, for the knockdown trophies, choose a character that has high muscle stat to easily knock the CPU down, and speed stat to easily catch up to the CPU opponents.

For the trick trophies, choose a character that has a high trick stat and speed stat, though as I mentioned in my post earlier that I found it pretty difficult to consistently pull off special move tricks.

Edited by ZodiacWolve

23 minutes ago, ZodiacWolve said:

In the options menu.

-

For more information, for the knockdown trophies, choose a character that has high muscle stat to easily knock the CPU down, and speed stat to easily catch up to the CPU opponents.

For the trick trophies, choose a character that has a high trick stat and speed stat, though as I mentioned in my post earlier that I found it pretty difficult to consistently pull off special move tricks.

Yeah got the idea with tricks now myself but only got 550 so far, if anyone has an easy strategy please speak up

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mike_87 said:

Yeah got the idea with tricks now myself but only got 550 so far, if anyone has an easy strategy please speak up

I’m curious to how many special move tricks and normal tricks you’ve done in a single race?

Because I think if you can do 2 or 3 special move tricks, while doing normal tricks (square, triangle) which is far easier to do, on all the remaining ramps, I think you should be able to reach over 1000 points just fine.

Edited by ZodiacWolve

Does anyone know how to do the "In a race, achieve a top speed of 72mph" trophy? No matter how hard I try, I only get 64mph, it's my last trophy...

I liked much more the first ESPN Extreme Games, this one was way weaker... 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Reit said:

Does anyone know how to do the "In a race, achieve a top speed of 72mph" trophy? No matter how hard I try, I only get 64mph, it's my last trophy...

I liked much more the first ESPN Extreme Games, this one was way weaker... 

Easily unlocked it by going through the gate that give you a speed boost. So when you go through that gate, just activate the power up by pressing L2 or R2 while holding X to accelerate and you should get the trophy.

Edited by ZodiacWolve
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ZodiacWolve said:

Easily unlocked it by going through the gate that give you a speed boost. So when you go through that gate, just activate the power up by pressing L2 or R2 while holding X to accelerate and you should get the trophy.

Thanks Zodiac, I will try tonight, I tried it with that power up, but somehow still only 64mph, I need to try holding X and see if it works, it baffles me I can get a trophy that seems so simple 😂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ZodiacWolve said:

I’m curious to how many special move tricks and normal tricks you’ve done in a single race?

Because I think if you can do 2 or 3 special move tricks, while doing normal tricks (square, triangle) which is far easier to do, on all the remaining ramps, I think you should be able to reach over 1000 points just fine.

Couldnt say how many tricks

Posted (edited)

Another guy told me square circle triangle trick is the key but like cool boarders the controls can be unresponsive and temperamental. Attempted it a few times now definitely the hardest trophy in the game

Edited by mike_87

1 hour ago, Reit said:

Thanks Zodiac, I will try tonight, I tried it with that power up, but somehow still only 64mph, I need to try holding X and see if it works, it baffles me I can get a trophy that seems so simple 😂

Your speed caps out at lower difficulties. Try it at the Extreme difficulty and you’ll be able to exceed the 64mph cap. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Your speed caps out at lower difficulties. Try it at the Extreme difficulty and you’ll be able to exceed the 64mph cap. 

Now that makes sense! I didnt thought of that possibility, thanks!

1 hour ago, mike_87 said:

Another guy told me square circle triangle trick is the key but like cool boarders the controls can be unresponsive and temperamental. Attempted it a few times now definitely the hardest trophy in the game

I had the most luck on Las Vegas 3. I think there are enough ramps to get 1000 just doing basic tricks, but I was able to do the square circle triangle 3 times on that track in addition to hitting every other ramp with basic tricks. There are a few ramps that lead into an uphill that it’s okay if you don’t land those. I was never able to score anything with the snowboard for some reason. 

12 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

How on earth do you save and create the custom characters? Doesn't seem to be giving me the option to.

Go into “Player One Select” and then when “Standard” is highlighted, change it to “Create”. It’ll let you name your character and change your stats

1 minute ago, skotafactor said:

I had the most luck on Las Vegas 3. I think there are enough ramps to get 1000 just doing basic tricks, but I was able to do the square circle triangle 3 times on that track in addition to hitting every other ramp with basic tricks. There are a few ramps that lead into an uphill that it’s okay if you don’t land those. I was never able to score anything with the snowboard for some reason. 

Go into “Player One Select” and then when “Standard” is highlighted, change it to “Create”. It’ll let you name your character and change your stats

Yeah I did that, it doesn't seem to be letting me save it. Just exit.

1 minute ago, bloodygravity4 said:

Go to the word "load" and press right or left

Jesus Christ how obvious is that. I am dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Thanks for the vegas tip, it was helpful, worked alot better than any snowboarding

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mike_87 said:

Can see its a similar game from the same era

I would say that any classics released that aren't mainstream games are going to just not be worth your time. I say that as someone who grew up with the launch of PSX and had one as a kid, and who played a huge portion of the library as an adult. There are plenty of great hidden gems outside of the mainstream classics, but most of those companies no longer exist and therefore they can't get licensing deals. These classics are simply whoever they can get licensing deals with, they're not going for quality at all. It's a huge slap in the face. Anyone who says games like this are worth your time flat out have a low bar for entertainment. Tony Hawk would be the only exception for "sports" games they would get. I would actually say that if their classic offerings don't get better in the next 6 months, then it's confirmation that they just can't secure licenses for worthwhile stuff either due to cost or legal issues, and that you should just avoid the premium tier because that won't change in the future. So far the classics offering has not improved much at all since launch over a year ago. And even if they do release mainstream games, no confirmation they will even have trophies

It just feels like they're still scraping the bottom of the barrel and that nobody wants to work with them on getting games on there (or Sony's being extremely cheap with their offers). Premium just feels like an afterthought. The free 2-3 hour trials are worth it more than the library, it's sad

Edited by ChibsSoA

13 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

Tony Hawk would be the only exception for "sports" games they would get.

Grind Session is a Sony published skateboarding title from that era that is actually a really fun clone of Tony Hawk. Unfortunately I think licensing the skaters/soundtrack/brands would make it near-impossible to port it over today. There are one or two other action sports games from the era that are pretty good like MTV Sports: Pure Ride and Thrasher, but yeah for the most part the PSX was riddled with Cool Boarders knock-offs or just plain unplayable games like 2Xtreme.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, skotafactor said:

Grind Session is a Sony published skateboarding title from that era that is actually a really fun clone of Tony Hawk. Unfortunately I think licensing the skaters/soundtrack/brands would make it near-impossible to port it over today. There are one or two other action sports games from the era that are pretty good like MTV Sports: Pure Ride and Thrasher, but yeah for the most part the PSX was riddled with Cool Boarders knock-offs or just plain unplayable games like 2Xtreme.

Yeah definitely impossible. I'll put it this way. Capcom hasn't been able to do anything with Mega Man Legends for 2 decades simply because one of the vending machines in the game has an icon of a popular soda or something to that effect. You would think they could just edit it out, but I guess there's more to it than just doing that. I agree and would bet there's something set in stone that the brands/skaters in Grind have to get paid for their likeness even if it's a super old game being re-released and that's going to make it not worthwhile to Sony

Edited by ChibsSoA