Nintendo unveils Wii U GameCube controller adapter

Lady Lilith

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-nintendo-unveils-wii-u-gamecube-controller-adapter

The Wii U is getting a GameCube controller adapter, Nintendo has announced.

The upcoming peripheral was revealed in a promotional video for E3's Super Smash Bros. Invitational, then later confirmed on Twitter where Nintendo noted that the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. will support this control scheme.

This device plugs into the Wii U and allows up to four GameCube controllers to connect to it. Could this mean that Nintendo will start manufacturing GameCube controller's again?

Given that this will be used in a Super Smash Bros. tournament in two weeks, one would assume it will hit retail rather soon, though no release date or price has been announced.

We've followed up with Nintendo for more details and will update as we find out more.

fofqyF3.jpg

Note the emblem on the GameCube controller. Is that for the tournament, or is this part of a new line of GC controllers?

I haven't used my Gamecube controllers in nearly 10 years, ever since Wavebirds came out, I've used those.  Might be nice to use these again, but I honestly can't really see myself getting one of these for any purpose other than the novelty of having a Gamecube controller on a Wii U as opposed to a Pro controller.

I like how Nintendo has to keep making ports for the Gamecube controller because it really was the last good controller they made :lol:

...What? They have never remade the GCN controller apart from the Wavebird, and now this, and this technically isn't a remake.  If you think the Wii U Pro controller, Wii Classic Controller, and gamepad are remakes of it...No, they're not.  If anything, they're more like the Dualshock 3/Xbox 360 controllers.  The buttons aren't even CLOSE to similar.

...What? They have never remade the GCN controller apart from the Wavebird, and now this, and this technically isn't a remake.  If you think the Wii U Pro controller, Wii Classic Controller, and gamepad are remakes of it...No, they're not.  If anything, they're more like the Dualshock 3/Xbox 360 controllers.  The buttons aren't even CLOSE to similar.

Not ports as in remakes, controller ports as in ways to play the Gamecube controller on newer systems. The Wii had Gamecube ports and now the Wii-U has a Gamecube port.

Not ports as in remakes, controller ports as in ways to play the Gamecube controller on newer systems. The Wii had Gamecube ports and now the Wii-U has a Gamecube port.

Guess I got the usual meaning of ports (when it comes to games), confused with controller ports.  Didn't the Wii eventually cut the GCN part out though? I'm pretty sure there was a model that only played Wii games.

Guess I got the usual meaning of ports (when it comes to games), confused with controller ports.  Didn't the Wii eventually cut the GCN part out though? I'm pretty sure there was a model that only played Wii games.

nintendo-wii-mini.jpg

The Wii Mini was released the same year as the WiiU

nintendo-wii-mini.jpg

The Wii Mini was released the same year as the WiiU

That isn't what I mean, as it was only released in Canada.  

This is what I mean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Family_Edition

Edit-Apparently they did release the Wii mini worldwide, just months after its launch, and thus after I read about it.  The US didn't get it until a whole year after Canada.  Wonder why? 

Edited by Lilith

I like how Nintendo has to keep making ports for the Gamecube controller because it really was the last good controller they made :lol:

I actually really like the Wii U Pro controller and I personally think it is the best controller Nintendo has made. The GameCube controller is miles better than the Wii remote and Wii U gamepad, but I think the Pro controller nudges the GameCube controller. 

I wonder how many games will support the GameCube controller though. Smash is for sure, obviously, but I really don't see why someone would choose a GCN controller over the Pro for much else. 

Parker

I actually really like the Wii U Pro controller and I personally think it is the best controller Nintendo has made. The GameCube controller is miles better than the Wii remote and Wii U gamepad, but I think the Pro controller nudges the GameCube controller. 

I wonder how many games will support the GameCube controller though. Smash is for sure, obviously, but I really don't see why someone would choose a GCN controller over the Pro for much else. 

Parker

I haven't got to try the pro controller yet (just the gamepad) so I will take your word on that ^_^. I remember the first time I saw the GCube controller I thought it was the dumbest design ever, but it ended up being a really comfy controller to hold and rivals the Dualshock as my favourite controller.

I haven't got to try the pro controller yet (just the gamepad) so I will take your word on that ^_^. I remember the first time I saw the GCube controller I thought it was the dumbest design ever, but it ended up being a really comfy controller to hold and rivals the Dualshock as my favourite controller.

The Pro controller is kind of like a mix between the DualShock and Xbox controller. While not as comfortable as either, it still feels good in your hand and it has dual analog sticks so FPS games don't feel ridiculous. If Metroid Prime 4 ever gets released it will be awesome to be able to play it like that. Of course for whatever reason Nintendo decided that the triggers didn't need to be analog so they made them digital which is pretty goofy in my opinion, but it is a small complaint. 

Parker

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/e3_2014_nintendo_confirms_new_retro_gamecube_controller_and_adapter_pricing

630x.jpg

Special Super Smash Bros. bundle to also launch

Following its Digital Event at E3, Nintendo has released additional details into the wild, with exciting news for Super Smash Bros. fans with a love for the GameCube controls.

Nintendo revealed the GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U just recently, and has now also announced that it'll arrive (with the Wii U Smash title) at a recommended retail price of $19.99 — itwill support WaveBird controllers. In addition, there's also confirmation of a "retro Nintendo GameCube controller" which'll have special Smash markings and a price of $29.99 — as we speculated previously this is likely that controller shown in the promotional shots for the adapter; tellingly, the word 'wireless' is not used once when referencing this new GameCube pad.

If you want the full set, meanwhile, there'll be a special bundle that includes the Wii U game, adapter and new controller for $99.99, which is a $10 saving over the separate products — Smash Bros. will have a recommended price of $59.99.

Are you excited by this news, and ready to put down the cash in the Holiday season?

If it works with more games than SSB U, I'm sold.  Need some Wii U controllers other than the Wiimotes (hate them), and my one Pro controller isn't enough for co op on games that don't support the gamepad (DKCTF?)