Borderlands Lag

Dreakon139

Hi all, I haven't really gotten the opportunity to play with anyone I know (either in r/l or from the site) but I have hopped online and joined games with randoms. I noticed there's quite a bit of lag, almost to the point of being unplayable.

Is this kind of the norm for online play, or have I just gotten unlucky playing with people that live super far away from me, have bad connections... or both?

it goes either way...also, the mic support on the game is atrocious, you will hear every third word that is said...if that.

the lag issues, as far as i know you cant do much about, just try and figure out a way to work around it i guess...as for the mic issues, using things like AIM and Skype greatly help with this if you really want to have communication...PSN text chats are always there, but are a bitch to use at times.

• 3 months later...

Playing with randoms is probably your problem. Can't they screw up your game if they give you hacked items or something?

I never play with randoms anymore, only with people I know, and ever since, my online multiplayer experience has been so much better.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread here but, I just started playing this game (on my alternate account ;) ) and the content is exactly what i'm posting about.

I haven't really noticed "lag" but, the audio chat is unbelievably terrible! Like McLovin stated above, you only get every couple of words :shakefist: ... that's worthless! Any tips/tricks to make this better other than an external chat client?

I don't think so, besides obvious things like having a decent mic and making sure someone doesn't have NAT problems. If a game has a very bad VoIP like this one, there's not really anything you can do about it besides an alternative.

Also, in case anyone didn't know, whoever hosts the game is going to get very little lag, if any at all. It's the same with BL2, too. I remember when me and my friend took turns hosting, so it felt fair. :3

Edited by SMamimi
  • Like 1

I've never had any problems connecting with anyone or hearing them on Borderlands. Perhaps it is your connection or mic?

I'm leaning toward not my problem (or my friend's problem). We have been friends since grade-school and play frequently together. We don't typically have these types of issues. We are both NAT Type 2 and both have good ISP connections. We also both use the official Sony Wireless Headset. The day before we played BL, we were enjoying some Awesomenauts with flawless chat/connections. The only other game we've really had issues playing was Dead Nation; those issues were with dropping connection while playing the DLC though... chat was always perfect.

IDK, we'll give it another go and see how it turns out. We'll also try swapping the host to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Edited by bmj14772

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was playing it with 3 of my mates, we stuck with skype. Chatting in borderlands was just impossible to figure out what 4 people were saying. The 4 of us have never really had an issue playing any other game.. so my guess that it is the game not the mics.

I have NAT 2 with my ps3 under dmz.