Insane combat

Anytime I enter a stronghold, whether it be to kill a target or just for a mission, I kill a few enemies then BAM. Alarm goes off and i'm stuck fighting 40-50 enemies at once.  Ultimately I end up running away because killing them all takes forever.  Is there anyway to sabotage the alarm or anything?  Because with all these enemies spawning endlessly, the game gets really annoying.  

Stealth is probably your best ally and don't let them reach the alarm. The game gets easier when you acquire more upgrades, quicker ways of killing enemies and you can also fear them so most run off.

When you see a guy running off with a flame symbol above his head, put all your focus on that guy.

In terms of turning off the alarms.....you just gotta get out of their view and let it die down.

Stealth and distractions are the way to go if you don't want tons of them showing up.

Oh yes forgot about the distractions, there are plenty of fly nests and Caragor cages to shoot in the strongholds. Usually a few fires and explosives nearby to help as well. Some will run off due to their fear of fire. Further into the game you will get the ability to brand which will turn enemies into your allies, helping you to clear most of them out. 

Just keep on working the side quests as well because that way you level up and get useful abilities. I know the frustrating feeling of going for a stealth assassination and ending up in the middle of the crowd feeling powerless to do anything. Just focus on stealth and remember to find out your target's weaknesses because if you can't kill someone with stealth or ranged attacks/finishers it can ruin the whole mission as you need to face him on combat and you don't want to face another 50 enemies at the same time.

So basically finding intel on their weaknesses is the key to building up your strategy before attacking!

You can also hide in "blind spots" if you don't want to run away. I've gotten alerts called off simply because I hid behind a wall that they weren't able to go behind, and they won't ever climb up to see if I'm behind it.