Interesting Animals and Animal Facts

jace729

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about animals or animal facts that are interesting and/or lesser known. I don't want this to become an evolution vs. creationism debate, so please don't go there. Just a thread of interesting facts.  I'll start.

Did you know there is a type of shark called the "goblin shark?" It was first found near Japan and the name "goblin shark" apparently came about from "a translation of its old Japanese name tenguzame, a tengu being a Japanese mythical creature often depicted with a long nose and red face." Via the shark's Wikipedia page. I read somewhere before that it got it's name from it's apparent ugliness. Goblins in mythical tales were usually ugly creatures. 

goblin-shark.jpg

The one below was caught off the coast of Florida and released back into the wild.

method=get&s=shark1-05-05-2014-13-2-18-9

Very little is known about them because they're so rare and live in very deep waters. We know it can somehow detach it's jaw, in a way, it's hard to describe, the video below will explain it better than I will.

So do you have any interesting and/or lesser known animals or animal facts to share? I'd love to see them.

Edited by jace729
  • Like 2

The most amazing animal lives right inside your house, stealing your food if you aren't looking. Scientists are now inclined to think it wasn't so much through the efforts of humans that dogs are able to live with us so well, that it was them living at the edge of our camps as wolves for thousands of years, eating our garbage and observing us from afar, learning how we do things all on their own. We just had a hand in making them look the way they do now, breeding them into specific jobs.

• Like 2