Comets

soniq

I've just read up on these last night and was very surprised when I probably shouldn't have been.

Not sure if this is old news, but I couldn't find a thread about it.

Apparently Bungie will release so called Comets every other year in between main game releases. They are supposed to be major content updates and offer more new story missions that advance the story further, multiple new strikes and new raids.

Pretty much like the DLC we've got, but a little more.

From the leaked Bungie-Activision contract: "Expansion pack-style downloadable content (DLC), code named "Comet," will be released every other year beginning in [2015]."

destiny-leak.jpg

This picture is interesting to me because it shows that The Dark Below and House of Wolves are merely called episodes, but not expansions.

I wonder if they were intended to be free content updates with the Comets being originally planned as paid DLC. With the price of the current expansion pass being rather expensive at 35$ for relatively little content, I wonder if they are gonna charge full price for the real expansion packs. And of course there will be another 35$ expansion pass for two more episodes coming out.

From The Escapist:

Compared to "The Dark Below", Destiny's comet expansion seems to be a significantly larger release. The slide (which is admittedly blurry) hints at 12 story missions, 4 strikes, a raid, and 6 PvP maps. More significant is that it expands the core game's universe with a new environment. The title leaves little to the imagination: A Darkness occupied comet will enter the solar system, prompting the Guardians to scramble and defeat the incoming threat. The image also states that two smaller DLC packs will follow the comet: Vex Void and Forge of Gods.

I wondered why they'd release their planned DLC packs within the first 6 months and how they'll keep the hype going without any further updates until Destiny 2, but that explains it imo. Oh, and I fully expect these to have trophies as well, so everybody who thought their 100% completion was safe... nope. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Comet is intended to be Destiny 2.

I don't think so. ^^

"According to an Activision contract made public as part of court proceedings in the upcoming Zampella/West trial, Bungie is currently developing four “sci-fantasy, action shooter games” code-named “Destiny.” Destiny games are set to come out beginning in the fall of 2013, followed by subsequent releases in fall of 2015, 2017 and 2019. In addition, Bungie has agreed to create four downloadable expansions known as “Comet,” which will release in fall of 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/21/new-details-on-bungies-first-post-halo-game-revealed

Now since this info is from 2012 and Destiny apparently got pushed back, you have to add +1 to each year.

Here's a cleaner version of the presentation slide from above.

Destiny.jpg

No, no, I know as well as you do that they never intended on doing it any other way than the way we both know they're going to do it. I just wanted to pretend for a moment that game companies aren't complete assholes sometimes. :T

They exist to make money. As long as we give it to them, they'll just go further as far as they can.

You mustn't forget that Destiny is (semi-)MMO, servers aren't cheap. The 2 initial expansions cover a timespan of around half a year, adding that to half a year of PS Plus makes 60 bucks. That's 10 bucks a month; cheaper than your average MMORPG. You probably own more games that make use of PS Plus, so the 25 bucks for half a year of the service is an exaggeration, even.

I understand the sentiment, having to pay a fair amount of money for expansions is nothing less than annoying, but they have bills to pay. I prefer this business model over subscription fees.

About the subject at hand, I wonder how much these "Comets" will cost...?

Edited by MassZERO