Is Crota a chest now?

BMJ2K7

So I've only ever beaten Crota on Hard once, about 2 resets ago. So finally get another team together to kill Crota on Hard, since we all had the checkpoint anyway. But when we killed him only 2 people didn't get anything were me (who hasn't beaten him in almost 2 weeks and got NOTHING) and my friend whose already beaten it a few times this weak. The only thing I could think of it why I didn't get anything was bc I had already beaten him Tuesday on normal. So my question is, is Crota a chest now like the witches where you only get items once? I'm trying to get the Black Hammer before it becomes mostly useless in a month, and I see way more people get in on normal than Hard, so that's why I beat him on normal first. And even the guy's who I ran with said the same thing, they see it drop more from Crota normal than he does on Hard.

So yeah is this a bug and I got screwed, or is Crota a chest now?

So I've only ever beaten Crota on Hard once, about 2 resets ago. So finally get another team together to kill Crota on Hard, since we all had the checkpoint anyway. But when we killed him only 2 people didn't get anything were me (who hasn't beaten him in almost 2 weeks and got NOTHING) and my friend whose already beaten it a few times this weak. The only thing I could think of it why I didn't get anything was bc I had already beaten him Tuesday on normal. So my question is, is Crota a chest now like the witches where you only get items once? I'm trying to get the Black Hammer before it becomes mostly useless in a month, and I see way more people get in on normal than Hard, so that's why I beat him on normal first. And even the guy's who I ran with said the same thing, they see it drop more from Crota normal than he does on Hard.

So yeah is this a bug and I got screwed, or is Crota a chest now?

As far as I know, I don't think it's considered a chest.  That's insane that you didn't get anything from him on hard, though.  I do have a few questions...did you beat him with the same character?  Did your friends also beat it on normal then hard?  

I haven't beaten him on hard yet, but we were close last night.  If you are able, maybe try it the opposite way with your other characters?  This game is all about trial and error.  

Hope that helped somewhat!

If you beat, Crota and you have the weapon slots full, then you probably received a weapon and is stored on the postmaster in the Tower. When i beat, Crota yesterday i was mad because i saw that i received Radiant Energy, only to find the Word of Crota was on the tower when i went to the postmaster.

None of the slots were full, or close. And someone I played with told me to check the post master, still nothing.

As far as I know, I don't think it's considered a chest.  That's insane that you didn't get anything from him on hard, though.  I do have a few questions...did you beat him with the same character?  Did your friends also beat it on normal then hard?  

I haven't beaten him on hard yet, but we were close last night.  If you are able, maybe try it the opposite way with your other characters?  This game is all about trial and error.  

Hope that helped somewhat!

Yes I beat him on the same character that I beat him about 2 resets ago, and the same character that I beat him on normal with earlier this week. And no my friend only does hard mode, he kills him several times a week and helps his clan members do it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

No. Crota isn't a chest. It's rare, but I've seen other people not get anything too. RNG at its finest.

There's a normal loot table that the normal CE pulls from and hard loot table that the hard CE pulls from. If you were to play hard CE before normal then you get two pulls from the hard loot table when you finish the hard CE.. The Black Hammer is on the normal loot table and why you're not seeing people receive it when they beat hard Crota.

Also, I believe House of Wolves has been pushed back to May. I really don't think the Black Hammer will be obsolete with the release of the next dlc. If you do then at least you'll get a few extra weeks than you originally thought. I hope you get it too. I've been trying for eight weeks and keep getting passed over. Good luck.

I got Mida Multi-tool (from Ir Yut) and Black Hammer (from Crota) last night on Normal after having finished the Abyss and Bridge and grabbing the Second Chest earlier in the week (never got as far as Crota this week until last night with a Flawless group).  Last night was my third (practice run) and fourth (trophy run) time of beating Crota on Normal.  Still have to run on Hard this week, as I still don't have Word of Crota.

In fact, two other members of my fireteam ended up getting both Mida and Black Hammer last night on the same run, as well.  As for having beaten Crota and getting nothing, it has happened to me before, too.