I need some video editing help/advice

ShadowGandalf

Ok, so I have a Youtube channel, and have put a few PS4 vids up. Here, if you're interested. When editing those vids before upload, I'd use Windows Movie Maker. But something has gone wrong. My latest PS4 recording is not being recognised by Windows Movie Maker or Media Player. (I tried deleting the file then copying it from PS4 again, with no change in result). Older recordings from PS4 still play and can be edited, but not this one. VLC player plays it fine, as does PS4, so I don't know what's going on.

Does anyone know a way to fix the file, or, even better, does anyone know of any other free to use video editing software I might use? (My OS is Windows 7 if it's relevant)

I don't wanna just forget about uploading this file, because it captures a great achievement (for me) on Resogun. I wanna share it, but I can't just upload the raw file, it contains many of my previous failures before I won, and has no audio commentary. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

You know you can use ShareFactory to trim and cut video and add commentary right? You can then upload straight to YT from there. You can be frame-by-frame precise too.

It might be a good substitute for now if you were desperate to get the clip uploaded for any particular reason.

Edit: Nevermind. I've taken a better look at your channel and you clearly want to put out a better product than ShareFactory could do for you.

Edited by StrickenBiged

If media player doesn't run it but VLC does it's probably because VLC supports alot more file types.

Windows movie maker only supports these types of files.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker-file-types-faq

The confusing thing is like I said, older videos copied from PS4 still work, they're MP4, but this one won't. It's also MP4. All these vids come from the same source, but this one won't work in Movie Maker. Must be something wrong with this one particular file, for some reason.

You know you can use ShareFactory to trim and cut video and add commentary right? You can then upload straight to YT from there. You can be frame-by-frame precise too.

It might be a good substitute for now if you were desperate to get the clip uploaded for any particular reason.

Edit: Nevermind. I've taken a better look at your channel and you clearly want to put out a better product than ShareFactory could do for you.

I'll have to give it a go and see what I can do with it. It may be my only option for now. Thanks. (I've never actually used Share Factory, I forgot it even existed) 

The confusing thing is like I said, older videos copied from PS4 still work, they're MP4, but this one won't. It's also MP4. All these vids come from the same source, but this one won't work in Movie Maker. Must be something wrong with this one particular file, for some reason.

Try to convert it to another type, .wmv for example. See if that works. You can find alot of free file converters online.

In that case, I may not have been as useless as I thought!

Actually, now I've had a little play with it, it's probably quite useful. A little of my own imaginative touches, included. The only problem is commentary. I only have the basic mic that came with the PS4, but my voice always comes out quiet, no matter how loud I talk. Even when I bump up commentary volume to 200% it still seems quiet. (I recently lost my job so can't afford to buy a new mic or headset). Can you copy the ShareFactory file to a USB? Being a new file it might work with Windows Movie Maker so I can add commentary using my PC mic.

The only other alternative i just thought of is... Record my voice on PC and save audio file, put file onto USB and use it in ShareFactory as a music track.

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Actually, now I've had a little play with it, it's probably quite useful. A little of my own imaginative touches, included. The only problem is commentary. I only have the basic mic that came with the PS4, but my voice always comes out quiet, no matter how loud I talk. Even when I bump up commentary volume to 200% it still seems quiet. (I recently lost my job so can't afford to buy a new mic or headset). Can you copy the ShareFactory file to a USB? Being a new file it might work with Windows Movie Maker so I can add commentary using my PC mic.

The only other alternative i just thought of is... Record my voice on PC and save audio file, put file onto USB and use it in ShareFactory as a music track.

I'm pretty sure you can put the file onto USB. Once you export to gallery, then the new file will be saved in your ShareFactory tab in the capture gallery.

Wait... You got a mic with your PS4...?