Question For Security Guards

boombatakr

Im not sure who is a Security Guard here or who was one at one point, but I wanted to ask this and see what responses i get. First off, I am currently working for a Security Guard company after being out of Security for 7 years. Im 37 years old.  I work for a company that puts their employees in the most run down apt buildings filled with crack heads, drug dealers, gang bangers, you name it. Usually by yourself too! Im a man, yes but these friggin places terrify me. Most guards are there (so they tell me) to arrest, ban or get involved in scuffles. I used to do this at a mall for 4 years, but I had 4 other guards with me. I just wanted to try my luck with a small observe and report company so I may gain back experience to apply for other malls or hospitals.

So my question is: What do you like or hate about Security? Do you find you are risking your life too much? Does your sites scare you? Are you put in high risk situations by yourself? I am also just contemplating just getting out for good and starting something new. I don't mind talking to people and de-escalating situations, as I have become pretty good at it, but this arresting, handcuffing,  and tackling people shit that this company wants is something I don't want anymore. I like to talk out problems, and not play the "hero". Im getting too old for that shit lol.

• Like 1

Wow that sounds scary! I'm sorry, I'm not in security so I don't have any real experience or anecdotes to share, but I think that what you're doing (de-escalation/talking) is the best option, and that you're doing a good job of it. To me, it seems safer for you to be a mediator, especially if you're by yourself. It sounds really dangerous for your company to push for you to get physical with people when you don't have a partner with you to help make sure no one gets injured. I think you're wise to consider going back to other jobs, but I don't think that's what you're looking for exactly sorry. 

Im not sure who is a Security Guard here or who was one at one point, but I wanted to ask this and see what responses i get. First off, I am currently working for a Security Guard company after being out of Security for 7 years. Im 37 years old.  I work for a company that puts their employees in the most run down apt buildings filled with crack heads, drug dealers, gang bangers, you name it. Usually by yourself too! Im a man, yes but these friggin places terrify me. Most guards are there (so they tell me) to arrest, ban or get involved in scuffles. I used to do this at a mall for 4 years, but I had 4 other guards with me. I just wanted to try my luck with a small observe and report company so I may gain back experience to apply for other malls or hospitals.

So my question is: What do you like or hate about Security? Do you find you are risking your life too much? Does your sites scare you? Are you put in high risk situations by yourself? I am also just contemplating just getting out for good and starting something new. I don't mind talking to people and de-escalating situations, as I have become pretty good at it, but this arresting, handcuffing,  and tackling people shit that this company wants is something I don't want anymore. I like to talk out problems, and not play the "hero". Im getting too old for that shit lol.

When I first venture into security it was rough, my first place was a dark building site. I eventually overcame my fears and now feel like Batman when doing night time security work. Anyway with my final AAT courses coming up, I'll probably drop security as the risks far outweigh the rewards. 

Sorry that you have to deal with societies trash, low life crack heads. Its always best to move on. An good luck out their, be safe..

i my self can do it but, but i got an sort of an evil streak dealing with crack heads. If their calm and cool. no probs. But ones they try to do shit i be wanting to break their legs and put them in a wheel chair so they cant do anything else. Other wise i know what you mean. I would want to deal with the shit either, Handcuffing people chasing them and what not. 

Thanks for some great comments guys! I really appreciate reading your thoughts. Some guards think im weak for not wanting to get physical with people, but I just don't see the point in getting myself hurt or worse......killed for minimum wage!  If I can't talk out the problem, then for me it's a Police issue, and i will notify them. They are more equipped to handle the physical violence. I have been mocked by others when I say I just wish to observe and report, and pass information on the Police if need be. Why should I get involved with fights, or guys with weapons? I have nothing to prove. I have told other guards before, my main priority is going home to my wife. Even if that means I  feel its unsafe to patrol ( I mean apartment buildings) by myself, I won't. My job is to be a derterrent, and to report any suspicious or illigal activity. That is just how I see Security

As I see it you have a Duty of Care here seeing as you are at your work.

If you are in some shithole by yourself then your primary duty of care is to yourself and your family.

If you have a colleague with you then he (or she) superceeds your family.

If you have a gangbanger walking through the place then your duty of care to him is to see that he isnt injured on his way out - therefore protecting his wellbeing and the property and yourself.

If he cuts up rough, then you are paid to look after the building and bleeding on it isnt protecting it. So backing off and calling the cops is the only sensible answer.

6 inches of cold steel or an inch of hot lead are not options for a man with a young family and a future.