Steam Handheld console (Smach Zero)

Hailst0rm_2

This console was announced a year ago and apparently its real and releasing 2016!

This was the teaser with its announcement last year, there's been some design changes since then to match the steam controller. (The inclusion of an analog it looks like)

The most recent article about it:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141284-SteamBoy-Machine-Is-Now-SMACH-Zero-And-Here-Are-Its-Specs

Spec wise it seems to be a big step up from the Vita, with a higher res 720p display, 4GB RAM and the same jaguar CPU architecture being used in current gen consoles like PS4 (obviously nowhere near as powerful)

Along with 32GB of internal storage, a SD card slot for expanding it, its powerful enough to play some fairly demanding games like Bioshock infinite apparently.

Personally what appeals to me most is the cross platform freedom, there are many games on PS3 that I felt could have ran on Vita but were either never ported over or did not support crossbuy and required me to buy a second copy. It also put devs in a bad situation because of the financial burden of porting it over and worrying about sales.

With this my entire steam library is available to me and I am only limited by the power of the device itself. 

I'm not too crazy about the new name though lol

Edited by Hailst0rm_2
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to this. I would like to experience Steam without spending the $$$ of building and maintaining a gaming PC. Plus, more competition in the handheld market may help Sony refocus their attention on the Vita AND maybe even release a model with internal storage (fingers crossed).

Edited by merciful84