Question about the game

Hi, I only played Asylum and City some months ago, I was surprised because I never liked anything to do with superheroes and I never played or watched anything to do with Batman, but the Arkham series were fantastic and I have to ask: is Origins worth it to fully enjoy the whole Arkham experience? I mean I know it's supposed to be a prequel and that it wasn't made by the original team so there must be some problems with the story or something, but does the game adds something to the whole Arkham story that is considered canon?

I wanted to play it even when everyone said is bad but I don't own a PS3 anymore because I sold it and buyed a PS4, and I was disappointed when I found out that they were going to remaster the first 2 games for the PS4 but not Origins,  maybe because Rocksteady doesn't see it as an official Arkham game?

Do I have to at least watch someone else play the game on YouTube or do I stick only with the ones made by Rocksteady?

Thanks.

I honestly don't really get all the hate and bashing people shower down on Origins. It might not have been as good as City and Knight, but I think that was mostly because it didn't do a lot of 'new' things when compared to its predecessor (City). I, for one, really enjoyed the game, and would recommend anyone who enjoys the Arkham series to go and pick it up. Shouldn't be too expensive anymore anyway.

So yeah, I'd tell you to go for it :)

• Like 1

It says that it is a prequel yet Batman has more tools in AO than in both AA and AC. That's pretty stupid in my opinion because if it truly was a prequel then Batman wouldn't be that advanced both combat and gadget wise. It shows no origins just pure bullshit and a cheap cash grab by WB Montreal.

It says that it is a prequel yet Batman has more tools in AO than in both AA and AC. That's pretty stupid in my opinion because if it truly was a prequel then Batman wouldn't be that advanced both combat and gadget wise. It shows no origins just pure bullshit and a cheap cash grab by WB Montreal.

Not to be rude or disrespect your opinion or anything, but I think "Batman has more gadgets while it is a prequel" isn't really all that good of a reason to advise someone not to get a game. And it does show origins: how Batman became the "feared vigilante" he is nowadays, and how his co-operation with the GCPD came to be. Stuff like that is considered someone's origin.

But you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. :)

I wouldn't go that far. Great game for sure though.

Dude I respect your opinion but I hate it when developers damage a game series by just putting out a cheap cash grab due to its current popularity. Another example of this would be BL TPS. There is no way in hell that BL TPS is better than BL 2. Always purchase a game if its made by its original creator because they know what is right and wrong for said game.

I found it to be a highly enjoyable game in the series. Sure it was a lot like City and that's where it got a lot of its criticism from, but I liked the backstory of some of the villains, Bane and Joker especially. I'd definitely say it's worth playing.

Dude I respect your opinion but I hate it when developers damage a game series by just putting out a cheap cash grab due to its current popularity. Another example of this would be BL TPS. There is no way in hell that BL TPS is better than BL 2. Always purchase a game if its made by its original creator because they know what is right and wrong for said game.

Lol what the hell does that have to do with what I said? I just said that Knight isn't as good as Aslyum and City.

Not to be rude or disrespect your opinion or anything, but I think "Batman has more gadgets while it is a prequel" isn't really all that good of a reason to advise someone not to get a game. And it does show origins: how Batman became the "feared vigilante" he is nowadays, and how his co-operation with the GCPD came to be. Stuff like that is considered someone's origin.

But you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. :)

Thank you for being respectful ☺. It's just that how can Batman use those gadgets in AO and not in AA or AC? Yet here we are with people saying that the Batmobile is a stupid and lame addition to Arkham Knight. Why all the hate for Arkham Knight?

Lol what the hell does that have to do with what I said? I just said that Knight isn't as good as Aslyum and City.

Lol I know I'm just laying out an example here

His detective mode is way advanced in AO. Lol that's just stupid

Thank you for being respectful ☺. It's just that how can Batman use those gadgets in AO and not in AA or AC? Yet here we are with people saying that the Batmobile is a stupid and lame addition to Arkham Knight. Why all the hate for Arkham Knight?

Lol I know I'm just laying out an example here

His detective mode is way advanced in AO. Lol that's just stupid

As to the extra gadgets thing, it explains it in Arkham Knight. The GCPD has an evidence room with a bunch of cool stuff from throughout the series. Batman basically hands over stuff like the electro gloves because they were evidence and from criminals. It has a little VO thing for each item too, I found it a fun little area. 

• Like 1

I know that you didn't bash AK Dark_Tooth. AO should have been about a rookie Batman with minimal combat experience, gadgets, and mobility. It should have shown him struggling with the main villains throughout the game rather than just kicking everyones ass without any problems or consequences whatsoever.

As to the extra gadgets thing, it explains it in Arkham Knight. The GCPD has an evidence room with a bunch of cool stuff from throughout the series. Batman basically hands over stuff like the electro gloves because they were evidence and from criminals. It has a little VO thing for each item too, I found it a fun little area.

Yes but they just did that out of respect for AO.

I honestly don't really get all the hate and bashing people shower down on Origins. 

I believe I posted something in a thread a while back that would be a good answer to that; I'll see if I can find it.

Found it  ⇊

"The combat system is definitely not the same as city. AC's combat was responsive, and polished; I play the challenge maps to this day because of how good it is. In Origins sometimes you'll try to chain punches together and Batman will punch the air making you drop your combo. The gadgets are practically the same as City's as well, they just gave them new names or made them more useless: The glue grenade is basically the freeze grenade from City, and the remote claw is essentially a gimped version of the line launcher which only works in specific areas (although it does have some cool uses in combat.)

Side missions and even bosses are reskins of the bosses in City: Anarky's side mission is a copy of Zsasz, The fight against Deadshot at the end of his side mission is a copy of Catwoman's fight against Two-face in AC, The riddler collectibles don't have hostages or any sort of reward for collecting them, the hatter side quest is basically a copy of Scarecrow's hallucination levels in Asylum, and those are just the side quests that I actually cared to finish so who knows about the rest.

The game also lacks the attention to detail Asylum and City had. In the Rocksteady titles there was an abundance of easter eggs and every sidequest and area felt right. Those games felt like they were made by Batman fans, people that appreciate the character and the world. Origins feels like a rushed cash grab and there's no more proof than the amount of glitches it has and the fact that they refused to fix them because "they were working on the DLC" (which ended up having a reskinned battle of Mr. Freeze from Arkham City).

I'm not saying the game is terrible, I'm just explaining why most people don't think it lives up to rocksteady's work. It has redeemable qualities like the Red Hood section of the story which was surprising, The Bane boss battle that's actually quite fun, Troy Baker (although not as good as Mark Hamill) gave a very solid Joker performance, the enemies as you said were very unique as well and I really enjoyed that, unfortunately they ruined this by giving you the shock gloves which pretty much take away the challenge.

Oh and they abused the quick time events as well, City used them sparsely like in Ra's Al Ghul's boss battle but origins added them to almost every boss, making them get old fast."

Original thread here: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/27720-just-for-fun-choose-one-only/page-2

It has a lot more issues than that but that's just what I could think of at the time. If someone enjoys it cool. I don't think the game is terrible by any means.

How does Batman know the cape stun beat down in AO and not in AA? Isn't he supposed to be a "rookie" in AO?

I believe I posted something in a thread a while back that would be a good answer to that; I'll see if I can find it.

Found it  ⇊

"The combat system is definitely not the same as city. AC's combat was responsive, and polished; I play the challenge maps to this day because of how good it is. In Origins sometimes you'll try to chain punches together and Batman will punch the air making you drop your combo. The gadgets are practically the same as City's as well, they just gave them new names or made them more useless: The glue grenade is basically the freeze grenade from City, and the remote claw is essentially a gimped version of the line launcher which only works in specific areas (although it does have some cool uses in combat.)

Side missions and even bosses are reskins of the bosses in City: Anarky's side mission is a copy of Zsasz, The fight against Deadshot at the end of his side mission is a copy of Catwoman's fight against Two-face in AC, The riddler collectibles don't have hostages or any sort of reward for collecting them, the hatter side quest is basically a copy of Scarecrow's hallucination levels in Asylum, and those are just the side quests that I actually cared to finish so who knows about the rest.

The game also lacks the attention to detail Asylum and City had. In the Rocksteady titles there was an abundance of easter eggs and every sidequest and area felt right. Those games felt like they were made by Batman fans, people that appreciate the character and the world. Origins feels like a rushed cash grab and there's no more proof than the amount of glitches it has and the fact that they refused to fix them because "they were working on the DLC" (which ended up having a reskinned battle of Mr. Freeze from Arkham City).

I'm not saying the game is terrible, I'm just explaining why most people don't think it lives up to rocksteady's work. It has redeemable qualities like the Red Hood section of the story which was surprising, The Bane boss battle that's actually quite fun, Troy Baker (although not as good as Mark Hamill) gave a very solid Joker performance, the enemies as you said were very unique as well and I really enjoyed that, unfortunately they ruined this by giving you the shock gloves which pretty much take away the challenge.

Oh and they abused the quick time events as well, City used them sparsely like in Ra's Al Ghul's boss battle but origins added them to almost every boss, making them get old fast."

Original thread here: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/27720-just-for-fun-choose-one-only/page-2

It has a lot more issues than that but that's just what I could think of at the time. If someone enjoys it cool. I don't think the game is terrible by any means.

This pretty much sums up why AO should not be ranked higher than AA, AC and AK.

How does Batman know the cape stun beat down in AO and not in AA? Isn't he supposed to be a "rookie" in AO?

To be honest, all of your complaints are superficial gameplay related issues that aren't really issues. Would you have preferred to have a more bare bones game just to make it "authentic". Origins has a lot of problems but the things you mentioned aren't one.

Edited by Dark_Tooth69

To be honest, all of your complains are superficial gameplay related issues that aren't really issues. Would you have preferred to have a more bare bones game just to make it "authentic". Origins has a lot of problems but the things you mentioned aren't one.

WB Montreal could have added its own combat system that would have fit better with an inexperienced Batman. It doesn't need to be bare bones at all. They had an opportunity to add some fresh ideas but they ultimately decided to stick to the same formula because of fear thus leading to a meh Batman game. Different moves, basic Predator tactics, and an actual struggling Batman are all that was needed.

He was wearing the wrong cape in AA and wasn't able to change ;P

Lol this is what I mean. :)

Instead of having Batman rely on his out of placed gadgets they could have implemented different ways to distract, lure and takedown enemies. He should have used his batarangs and smoke pellets in unique ways because of his inexperienced status.

Make the combat feel different and awesome in its own unique way.