How do I make my laptop shut down due overheating?

Crespelio-X12

I would also suggest just listening to your laptop when it's on. You can hear when the fan turns on and off.

I had a laptop where the fan circuit itself went bad - the one that determines when the laptop is heating up and needs the fan to turn on. The fan itself worked, because it turned on during startup 100% of the time, but it would never turn on after that. In my case, the cooling pad didn't work. I got the computer its own desk fan and that solved my problem.

Dust and airflow restrictions aren't always the cause.

Play nice Daiv :P

I do agree that Toshiba's seem to always overheat, I hear that complaint a lot of times, which is a shame they look nice.

Dell's I'm certain last the longest though, as I've seen really old Dells still running and in constant use after years.

"Nearly all laptops are manufactured by companies known as Original Design Manufacturers or ODMs. These companies design and manufacture laptops; they may do so in entirety and all the big name brand has to do is stick their own label on it. Or, they may produce a ‘barebones’ model that the big name brand will subsequently customize and then label. The design may be totally generic, or may have been designed in conjunction with the brand according to their specifications, or designed by the brand."

"The National Brand companies then customize the system with Processors, Hard Drives, Ram, DVD Drive, Wireless, Bluetooth along with other internal accessories, then install a Microsoft Operating System and label it and market it as their own."

There's a really big difference between generic 'barebones' and 'designed...to their specifications'.  Are you saying all laptops from all manufacturer's are created equal?  I bet Dell, HP, and Toshiba would all disagree with that.  Do you think a Fiat 500 and a Ferrari 599 are the same car cause Fiat owns Ferrari?  GM used similar parts between all their brands, including a 5.7L engine in their Cadillac CTS-V, Chevy Camaro, and Corvettes, yet they were rated at completely different output levels due to other parts that hindered performance, and reliability fluctuated between them because of it. 

Just cause another company designs and manufactures these laptops does not make them equal.  If anything, it highlights the fact that these national brand companies use different customized designs (like case specs and hardware layout) and additional parts (like cooling fans/heatsinks/etc...) in a way that increases or decreases performance and longevity.  All your snark does is highlight the fact that these manufacturers are the problem as their limited changes greatly influence long term function and reliability of the products they sell.

You are both correct. I shouldn't have responded that way. When Matto_Isi replied "Blame the manufacturer" I should have been the bigger person and either ignored the unhelpful comment or pointed out that the comment was not helpful for the TC.

I have Toshiba Portege 3480CT from 2001 I still use weekly as well as a Toshiba Satelitle 1805, also from 2001 that I just used on Sunday. All three Dell laptops I've own have died premature deaths from various issues. Our *perceived* experiences with brands are irrelevant to helping troubleshoot for solutions.

I would also suggest just listening to your laptop when it's on. You can hear when the fan turns on and off.

Dust and airflow restrictions aren't always the cause.

This is another good suggestion. Listen to see if the fans even come on. 

I would also suggest running something like CPUz that can tell you if your CPU is running throttled (possibly because of heat) or running at full speed and then the possibility might be your hard drive.

All signs point to heat issues of some type.

I have Toshiba Portege 3480CT from 2001 I still use weekly as well as a Toshiba Satelitle 1805, also from 2001 that I just used on Sunday. All three Dell laptops I've own have died premature deaths from various issues. Our *perceived* experiences with brands are irrelevant to helping troubleshoot for solutions.

Oh really, you're the first person I've heard having a Dell crap out on them, which model were you using if you remember. I've mainly had experience with the Inspirons and Latitudes. My sister repeatedly drops her Dell and thats still working, when we replaced it she managed to let kids rip off several keys to, I think she still had one functioning after she dropped it so many times most of the bodywork was coming off and does various horrendous things and they always survive. She also had a lenovo (sp?) but that got wrecked after one drop.

BTW I'm not saying that Toshibas break easily, I've just seen overheating being an issue, people who have been sensible with their Toshiba laptops which I assume you are, had there's last a decent enough time. I know due to research at the time that overheating was a common problem, although this was a while back so i dunno if they fixed that problem.

Edited by Superbuu3

which model were you using if you remember

Inspiron 8200 (I'm pretty sure I still have two spare video cards for it floating around somewhere.) Latitude D600 and I don't remember the model of the last one. Never even bothered to order any replacement parts or troubleshoot. Just recycled it and I haven't dealt with Dell laptops since.

BTW I'm not saying that Toshibas break easily, I've just seen overheating being an issue

In the late Pentium III and early Pentium 4 days, in when Ghz wars were in full effect, Toshiba chose to green light models using desktop CPU's in laptop form factors. This would be around 2001-2003ish. Dell and Gateway also did, but did a better job with cooling. The cooling was inefficient for the hot desktop processors and Toshiba had to release bios updates that turned on fans at much lower temps than they thought as well as keep the fans running after the power was turned off so all the latent heat would be dissipated faster. However, this was a time when only the nerdiest of nerds was looking for bios updates and most bios updates still required a floppy disk. Few people bothered to update the BIOS or even look into how to fix these issues. This kind of stuff paid for many nights out at the bar in college for me.

Since 2006, the Core 2 Duo mobile CPUs have solved overheating issues from improper design/usage. It's likely that overheating caused on laptops in the last 9 years is caused by dirt/dust and/or broken fans.

I'm not defending Toshiba, even though I'm now realizing that's probably how I'm coming across. Just against misinformation being spread. My main laptop has been a Macbook Pro since 2005 (Well, I'm on my 3rd MbP, updated and sold, not broken). I just happen to have 4-5 old Windows laptops hanging around.