24 Hours Of Le Mans

Parker

It's over now, but did anyone else watch this race? Absolutely amazing racing (with some pretty scary crashes) and Audi managed to eek out yet another win with the Pug's not far behind. I think there was a 13 second gap between the Audi and Pug, which for 24 hours of racing is pretty amazing. The R18 is a fantastic looking car and I'm glad to see the podium filled with 3 diesel powered machines. I expect there to be even more competition between Audi and Peugeot next year.

Also, the 24 hours of Nurburgring is coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm really looking forward to that race.

Parker

I don't honestly see the point in a 24 hour race, nor do I see the point of watching something that I'm going to miss significant portions of due to meals and sleep, so I'm afraid I did not see the race, no.

Endurance racing certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is probably my favorite type of motorsport. The LMP's are the most exiting to watch, and even though I'm a huge fan of Formula 1 I think endurance racing is much more exiting and a win or podium is much more prestigious, especially for the car manufacturers.

I'm also a huge Gran Turismo fan and have ran multiple 24 hour races on GT4. Haven't had the time to do it on GT5 yet, hopefully endurance saves will happen soon.

Parker

There were 24 hour races in GT4? I never got far enough to unlock them, either that or I was never observant enough to find them in the menus. xD

Yep, there was the 24 Hours of Le Mans and 24 Hours of Nurburgring, just like the real races.

Parker

That Huge crash was pretty incredible, (albeit heart breaking for the team)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jnibRyrK-o

Yeah, it was absolutely crazy that 2 of the 3 Audi's were crashed by Ferrari's. In the video you posted the Ferrari is obviously at fault (I think the driver was even suspended after that crash) but the other one is a little harder to figure out, especially since it was at night.

I'm absolutely amazed no spectators were killed in that crash. It looked like a lot of debris flew into the crowd, including a tire which missed everybody.

Watching the lone #2 Audi hold off all those Pugs was pretty awesome. Audi certainly deserved the win this year and I'm really looking forward to next years race. Hopefully Peugeot announce a new LMP.

Parker

It shows how well those cars are built. Seeing someone get in a crash that bad, at that speed just open the door and get out (after they rolled the car back over) is crazy. One would think they'd be leaving on a stretcher. Hopefully the 24 hours of Nurburgring doesn't have any fatal crashes either.

Parker