Help: Ruck Gameplay-Mechanics

tkmj75

Just like all the reviews say, this game's mechanics are very counter-intuitive and largely depends on luck. 

On hard difficulty (requirement for majority of the trophies), I can never seem to win any rucks, regardless of my efforts. Because of this, it's quite hard to get any tries/drop kicks.

I was wondering if anyone who has finished/platinumed this game, could offer any advice on how to win rucks on HARD difficulty?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can't understand either. Impossible to win a ruck > impossible to win a match. If someone can tell me if they have any trick or tips, it would help...

Yeah it's a broken mess tbh. No way around it. Really depends on luck. Unfortunately, I haven't won any rucks against the opponents in the hardest setting.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

It's not surefire solution but I am playing this war crime of a videogame right now and have found that if you turn off first passes and the offside rule from the Options Menu, you will find some more success.

The main reason is that although you may not win the ruck, you can quick select the closest player using L1 and have him stand next to the CPU player who picks up the ball. As soon as he does that hit X on the pad and you leap at him. Even if you don't win the ruck you can use this to drive the CPU back and if you're lucky, over the sidelines which will give you possession back.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/28/2019 at 3:06 AM, Birdzilla said:

It's not surefire solution but I am playing this war crime of a videogame right now and have found that if you turn off first passes and the offside rule from the Options Menu, you will find some more success.

If anyone is still stuck on this, this is very good advice. Turn off forward passes, offsides and knock-ons. The game is broken if you try and play a kicking game, you will almost always give away a knock -on because on Hard you have almost no time to kick the ball. Obviously, kicking the ball in a real rugby game would never lead to a knock-on against you, but it is what it is. You can earn all the trophies with these set to off and they will substantially reduce your pain.

"War crime of a video game".😂  I can actually see why they made it like they did, but yeah, the Rugby Challenge games are far superior.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, The_Kopite said:

Playing this game again now, and if there is any other useful info that anyone could share about this, that'd be great as the whole ruck situation is just ridiculous. 

Hopefully you have the Plat by now, but if you don't, and for anyone else reading this, I actually gave up playing on Hard because it was so ridiculous on PS3. I played rugby for ten years of my life and we even made it to the semi-final of the Welsh Youth Cup. Several of my teammates were junior Welsh internationals and one of them went on to win more than 50 full senior caps....so yeah, I like to think I know my rugby! 

I came back to the game a year later and persevered and got it down in about an hour. It's hard to explain but it is simultaneously hard and easy at the same time once you know what you are doing, you just have to concentrate, especially against the better teams. 

I started playing this game again a couple of days ago on PS4, since I was able to pick up a copy for 2 euros in my local Cash Converters-type shop. I spent the first hour being utterly enraged, then I got back into the hang of it again. It is a very frustrating game on Hard, there is no doubt. 

It's annoying even when you "get good". You have to concentrate. As soon as a ruck forms, push down on the right stick (R3) (assuming you play in vertical view) and press R2 as soon as you are in the yellow or green. It will take you quite a few goes, but suddenly everything will just "click" and you will be able to turn the ball over surprisingly often. It seems to be quite hard, if not impossible to give away a penalty if the ball is in the yellow on the meter (if it's in the red it will be a penalty every time).

Once you know what you are doing (there definitely seems to be a "rhythm" to it as well), it's far easier to win the ball back from a turnover than it is to win your own ruck (the meter has a habit of bouncing instantly from green to yellow; almost any attempt to grab whilst yellow will lead to a penalty against you, even if the ruck is uncontested....coz reasons, I suppose). Plus on your own ruck you can't just press in one direction, you have to move R3 to find the right angle to get it into the green.

Even when I am bossing the game, I am STILL giving away stupid penalties on my own ruck every twenty minutes or so. Rage inducing.

When trying for a turnover, you can generally just push in one direction on R3, press R2 and if you time it perfectly, you will get the ball. I'd recommend playing the WC as New Zealand, then editing South Africa to make them into a 91 rated team with no pace or acceleration and in your group in your 20 team, 4 group custom cup, along with Namibia, Uruguay and Romania. Easy trophies. 

Due to the exceedingly dumb AI in this game, if it's your kickoff, just hoof it straight down the field. The player who receives the ball will ALWAYS (100% of the time) boot the ball out into touch for a lineout. From that lineout, you are pretty much guaranteed to score a try if you keep running and passing and offloading the ball.

If the opposition look like they might score a try (I think the tackling in this game is also a disaster), just mash R2 when their ruck forms, you will give a penalty because the meter is in the red and 95% of the time they will kick for goal. If you are struggling, it's almost impossible to lose this way because as soon as you kick off, they will kick for a lineout again and then you can likely score another try.

tl;dr it's infuriating but just keep calm, practice and you will master it. Just keep concentrating (especially when you have the ball) and you will "get it" after a while. 

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by baboon_overlord
  • Like 1