Assassins Creed adventure

Carpentersky

Yeah given there's an overall story arc that appears in small bits the further back you go the better but it's not the most compelling story and pretty poorly told. If you only have PS4 and no PS3 then start with Black Flag! If you do have a PS3 it's definately worth playing AC II at least.

So do you only own a PS4? Then the question is wether you live in the US and are able to stream PS3s Assassins Creed games via PS Now or if you're restricted to the PS4 games.

If you want to 'properly start your AC adventure' then start as early as you can. Story-wise you should decide wether you want to play the Desmond story (AC I to III) and then play it as a whole in the right order or not at all. After AC3 the stories don't have much to do with each other so you wouldn't miss anything.

If you only have a PS4 you have to choose between Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate. I haven't played Unity because I only heard negative things about it. But if you really want the french revolution then go for it.

If not, Syndicate is closer to Unity gameplay-wise (one big city, new mechanics) while Black Flags gameplay is way more diverse and fun (ship-battles, hunting). 

None of the stories are really good though