Is this game better than Tony Hawk 5?

Kishnabe

Here's the deal.

Tony Hawk 5 was a wee bit too broken for most people to deal with. I'm not saying you should forgive the game or Robomodo yet again, but it's not anywhere near as bad as everyone would have you believe.

I platinum'd it in 3 days and a few hours, if the game was a ridiculously broken as everyone would have you believe, would that even be possible, at launch no less?

I'll admit, I went back into the game a couple months later and the last level was entirely unbeatable due to the glitches and bugs, so yes, it was fucking broken as balls. However, the latest patch has fixed that, and seemingly everything else, and now, the game is everything I thought it was at launch.

I am a fucking die hard THPS fan, I cannot begin to explain how much I love that series, like, I really can't. Tony Hawk 5 is more than worthy to have the name by my standards. I love the game, and it adds a lot of new stuff to the mix, while also feeling remarkably similar to the original 4 (3 and 4 in particular). 

I've discussed the game at length too many times for me to bother doing it again, so I'll just give you a quick run down.

Tony Hawk 5 isn't perfect, and it's not even as good as it really should be for them to bust out the Pro Skater name again for the first time in over a decade. However, it's by far the best Hawk game this side of American Wasteland. 

Tony Hawk HD is on the other hand, a somewhat decent, if slightly busted, rehash of a few of the levels from the first two games missing so many things that really make it feel like a Hawk game, NPCs for example, you have no idea how important they are to creating an atmosphere until you lose them.

Anyway, look, I'm in a rush and don't have enough time to properly say this, but Tony Hawk 5 is much better than Tony Hawk HD. THPSHD is a decently enjoyable rehash, whereas Tony Hawk 5, while simple and repetitive as balls, actually has some new stuff. Tony Hawk 5 is one of the best games I've played this year, believe it or not, and with the price it's always on sale for, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not picking it up on sale some time.

Seriously, Tony Hawk 5 is everything classic Pro Skater fans have wanted for years, and in time, I hope they will see it.

• Like 1

Here's the deal.

Tony Hawk 5 was a wee bit too broken for most people to deal with. I'm not saying you should forgive the game or Robomodo yet again, but it's not anywhere near as bad as everyone would have you believe.

I platinum'd it in 3 days and a few hours, if the game was a ridiculously broken as everyone would have you believe, would that even be possible, at launch no less?

I'll admit, I went back into the game a couple months later and the last level was entirely unbeatable due to the glitches and bugs, so yes, it was fucking broken as balls. However, the latest patch has fixed that, and seemingly everything else, and now, the game is everything I thought it was at launch.

I am a fucking die hard THPS fan, I cannot begin to explain how much I love that series, like, I really can't. Tony Hawk 5 is more than worthy to have the name by my standards. I love the game, and it adds a lot of new stuff to the mix, while also feeling remarkably similar to the original 4 (3 and 4 in particular). 

I've discussed the game at length too many times for me to bother doing it again, so I'll just give you a quick run down.

Tony Hawk 5 isn't perfect, and it's not even as good as it really should be for them to bust out the Pro Skater name again for the first time in over a decade. However, it's by far the best Hawk game this side of American Wasteland. 

Tony Hawk HD is on the other hand, a somewhat decent, if slightly busted, rehash of a few of the levels from the first two games missing so many things that really make it feel like a Hawk game, NPCs for example, you have no idea how important they are to creating an atmosphere until you lose them.

Anyway, look, I'm in a rush and don't have enough time to properly say this, but Tony Hawk 5 is much better than Tony Hawk HD. THPSHD is a decently enjoyable rehash, whereas Tony Hawk 5, while simple and repetitive as balls, actually has some new stuff. Tony Hawk 5 is one of the best games I've played this year, believe it or not, and with the price it's always on sale for, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not picking it up on sale some time.

Seriously, Tony Hawk 5 is everything classic Pro Skater fans have wanted for years, and in time, I hope they will see it.

This was very informative to read. I played the absolute shit out of THPS 3 on the PS2 back in the day. If this game is anything close to that, I'd be a happy camper. I'm just apprehensive because of all the negative things I've heard. 

This was very informative to read. I played the absolute shit out of THPS 3 on the PS2 back in the day. If this game is anything close to that, I'd be a happy camper. I'm just apprehensive because of all the negative things I've heard. 

I don't know how game sharing on the PS4 works, the thing where someone plays your games through the power of the interwebs, but if you've got any idea hit me up some time and you can have a go of the game using that shareplay thing on my machine if you want to demo it. It's well worth the time.

That was a fanboy post to be honest he out right lied saying it was a wee bit broken the game is an absolute mess theirs a reason it's universally panned i'd put it up with superman64 as the two worst games. If you must buy it get it used the devs don't deserve money let alone jobs.

That was a fanboy post to be honest he out right lied saying it was a wee bit broken the game is an absolute mess theirs a reason it's universally panned i'd put it up with superman64 as the two worst games. If you must buy it get it used the devs don't deserve money let alone jobs.

There's two ways you can take my opinions on Tony Hawk. 1, assume I'm a blind fanboy of the series, like so. Or 2, assume that my love of the series would make me even more judgmental of them busting out a new game. The second one is the one that's true.

I despised HD at first and slowly grew to accept it. I did not have this with THPS5. I also said it was a wee bit TOO broken for people, not that it was just a wee bit broken. I'm not being a nitpicky dick here, but that part was important because it's the difference between a bug here and there and the game being unplayable.

The last level, on my second plat run, was the only time I noticed the game being busted. And I yelled at the TV a bunch of times. I needed to land certain combos and shit for example, and my guy would all of a sudden stop grinding, or not grind at all, and so on, it was broken as shit and I was pissed off just like everyone else.

HOWEVER, I played the game offline 99% of the time and offline the game ran a lot better. At the time, running the game offline was a pretty decent experience. 

I'm not blindly defending the game either, I can pro and con like no one's business, believe me, I do see the problems with this game and they are MASSIVELY apparent. The game had a shitload of bugs at launch, and even now has the odd one, but it was never unplayable (at least offline for me, and aside from that bit I mentioned before).

Admittedly, I was ready for this game to be a flop, so my expectations were really really low at release just in case this happened, but I was pleasantly surprised. Especially now, with all the patches and the new levels, this game is a delight to play through. If the game is so broken for you it doesn't work, then you're in the majority and that's unfortunate and I'm sorry.

But it worked fine for me 95% of the time, and it was a damn fun time then. Adding split screen is really all I would have asked of them otherwise.

• Like 1

THPSHD and THPS5 are literally the same game, but with the latter having a little bit more content and a few new stupid mechanics.

Flippy made an in depth analysis of THPS5, and why it fundamentally sucks dick compared to the series from THPS 3 through Project 8.

Robmondo learned nothing from the mistakes of THPSHD, and they knew nothing about the Tony Hawk games (which they promised to faithfully recreate in THPS5).

Fuck both games.

Most Robomodo made THPS games have garnered terrible reviews because they honestly don't know how to create a THPS game from the ground up like Neversoft did with THP8 and THPG, a completely new engine and they made it work. They used a completely different engine which is what made the physics so odd. If you are new to the THPS franchise then you won't notice the problems. If you are a veteran of the series as many of the people that gave it low reviews are then no both HD and THPS5 are rubbish. I have played both and they are alright but stack up terribly to the previous installments in the THPS series. 

• Like 1