Valkyria Chronicles: Azure Revolution Battle gameplay

Wavergray

Mixed feelings. I really liked the turn-based mechanics of the previous titles, where you could position each member of your squad almost wherever you wanted, orchestrating ambushes, funneling enemies and etc. This new gameplay reminds me a lot of Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, minus the battle screen, as everyone is following the player unit and executing attacks agains the same enemies.

At 14:30 is where I see the differences: in previous titles, the player would resort to sniper, a mortarer or the tank. But the new hack-and-slash possibility ruined what was meant to be a strategic scene (NEVER in a previous title would the player throw a character agains multiple enemies at once). The AI also looks pretty bad. At 20:20, against nothing more than 8 enemies (3 armored, 5 artillery), the player rushes in! And the enemies do not take even one of the three characters down...

It looks like characters cannot hit each other anymore, which is another point that takes away the strategy and makes the player try to solve it with melee attacks. The boss battle is another example of this.

I think I will like this game, but it looks too different from the other games. It lost a lot of its original charm and now will have to work hard to be above average.

Looks a little... Warriors game-ish? Maybe I just fast forwarded to the parts of the video that only had melee gameplay, but I didn't see any guns in there. I'm also not too thrilled about the lack of turn-based... It does look like a pretty game though, too bad graphics don't sell for me. I'll have to see more to know if I like it or not.