Ubisoft Investing in F2P

LeeMcD-

Full Story

"We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it," he said.

"The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn't previously - places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.

"It's a way to get closer to your customers, to make sure you have a revenue. On PC it's only around five to seven per cent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it's only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated. It's around a 93 to 95 per cent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content."

At Gamescom last week Ubisoft announced a raft of PC exclusive F2P titles, including Silent Hunter Online, Anno Online, The Settlers Online and Heroes of Might Heroes Online. It's also got Shootmania Storm and Ghost Recon Online in the works.

"If you can't beat them, join them" seems to come to mind here. Ubi has given up fighting pirates on some games and have simply decided that those games will be F2P. I'm not sure how it will work out but they seem to be confident in their new strategy

I find it hard to believe that they actually have only 5-7% of customers paying for the games - I mean they do silly things to encourage file sharing like releasing PC ports late and such, but really, only 1 in 20 players paid? I struggle to actually believe that statistic. I think that instead of going free to play, they should look at what a lot of indies are doing - offering high quality experiences for ten dollars or less - if they can compete in this market, they'll have a lot to gain. I don't believe that throwing games into the void of F2P will work too well, because it's already oversaturated.

• 1 month later...