How to solo co-op

Midnightwards666

Guide to playing with multiple controllers:

Even when I'm playing with 1 controller, my way of holding it is actually very strange. What I do, is use my right index finger for the left stick, my fourth & fifth fingers for the buttons, and fourth (possibly third) for right stick too. This covers all the buttons, and my left hand is there for R1, R2, L1 and L2, and can also be used for the d-pad. It's very strange, but it works well, and is actually more of a "solo co-op" way of holding a controller.

You actually don't even need your left hand for R1, R2, L1 & L2... you can just push them down using the floor or sofa! It has allowed me to play racing games while eating sandwiches... however, generally that is not ideal, because it unsurprisingly doesn't help much. Holding the controller like me with your right hand, and using the sofa/floor for R&L buttons... with your left hand, you can do the exact same! In this case, you'd be using your 5th finger for the left stick, and your 3rd and 2nd for buttons. By doing this, I can already play well with 2 controllers. However, L1 and L2 for winding and unwinding the rope are very awkward controls for this, and I very early on in the game changed the wind rope button from L1 to square.

Obviously, that method of playing with 2 controllers is probably a lot easier for me than most people, as I'm used to it. However, if you ever do get stuck on the Unbreakable trophy or you want to use 2 controllers for something else... then maybe, what I do is worth a try. To take solo co-op even further, you can also switch your hands between controllers, and play with feet... so with those additions, you can actually play with 5 controllers by yourself. I have played with 4 controllers before, though obviously in this game, only 2 at most are required. 

Click this for a 1 player 4 controllers video demonstration

Finally, how to solo co-op put in short:

With your right hand, use your index finger for the left stick, and your fourth and fifth finger for buttons. Push down on the floor or sofa to activate the R2 & L2 buttons (keep in mind that I did change the wind rope button from L1 to square). Hold the controller the same way with your left hand - use your fifth finger for the left stick, your third and second for buttons, and do the exact same as your right hand for pressing R2 & L2. Your thumbs are pretty much useless here.

Edited by Midnightwards666
Made post shorter
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 29/8/2016 at 10:24 PM, Midnightwards666 said:

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed reading. There are some players who are even more hardcore, and have platted by themselves without even using a second controller. It actually is possible. :)

There is a trophy for playing an entire level with a second player, so a plat without a second controller is not possible. Although it is true that an active second player is not needed...
Jokes aside, you're quite skilled. I can't even hold the joystick in that way :facepalm: I'm glad to know that someone else did a lot of hard work to plat this game, I find it very enjoyable.
I platted it solo too, but I used my chin and some rubber bands :lol: And for my hidden level speedrun, I finished it solo in 29m and some seconds after several tries. My heart was about to pop out of my chest :P Luckly it didn't :)
Congrats on your shiny plat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gray-Fox-44 said:

There is a trophy for playing an entire level with a second player, so a plat without a second controller is not possible. Although it is true that an active second player is not needed...
Jokes aside, you're quite skilled. I can't even hold the joystick in that way :facepalm: I'm glad to know that someone else did a lot of hard work to plat this game, I find it very enjoyable.
I platted it solo too, but I used my chin and some rubber bands :lol: And for my hidden level speedrun, I finished it solo in 29m and some seconds after several tries. My heart was about to pop out of my chest :P Luckly it didn't :)
Congrats on your shiny plat!

My last post vanished in the site update, so I'll re-post. The final speedrun was the last trophy I got in the game, I went for Unbreakable first. Either that or playing with 2 controllers or both must have helped a lot with the speedrun. Congrats to you too on getting this platinum... there are multiple ways, but no matter how, it is indeed a very shiny platinum!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Greetings, Just wanted to share a couple of tricks for completing "The Dreambreaker" solo with no gadget equipped(unbreakable). Shown in the videos are section 2, 3 and 4. 

Video 1, Section 2 and 3 :

Video 2, section 4 :