Game Save Erased?

I have played a decent amount of Black Ops 3 with the amount of time I've had it, I jumped back into it recently and was having a great time until my ps plus expired. When I attempted to play the campaign offline it prompted me back to the create a character screen. I check multiplayer and all of my custom loadouts have been reset. Is my data stored on Treyarch servers and I just need to renew my subscription to get it all back? Note I do not have my save on ps plus cloud it is stored locally.

From what I can remember, COD Campaign data was always Save File-based, but, because BO3 marked the return of online Co-Op campaign (and introduced "unified" lobby party system), they also store the progress online, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, please), What I'm sure is that online and offline progress are different, even in Campaign.

This happened to me too when I let my PS+ subscription expire. The offline save is stored on your system and the online save is stored with Treyarch. The only way to access the online save is to have PS+. When I reactivated my subscription more than 4 months later, I still had all my stuff exactly as it was when I left it.

Yes, every Gamemode's progess tracking differs with the connection type (Campaign, Zombies,... even Free Run). I'd reccomend Trying to renew your PS Plus subscription, restore all the Cloud Backups to the system, and then back them up to a USB drive. That way you'll always have a local, offline backup you can always go back to.