Two difficult trophy thoughts

givingtheguid

What do you folks think of these trophies?

One Shot ( Finish the game without dying)

and

The Dash Eternal (800 dashes in challenge room!)

Those seem...brutal. Not dying is...is like a joke. Not to mention you either need to not die in your first run, or do a 3rd, because there's no way you'd do it in new game plus(really just Hard Mode.)

And the 800 dashes? From what I see with Steam folks, doing it on a controller was impossible and they all needed keyboard and mouse.

Edited by givingtheguid

i was also thinking about those, but someone already got the plat and they did the chain-dash basically first: http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5117-Hyper-Light-Drifter/VlETNAM-?order=date

also seems like they did the "without dying" on the first run... pretty sure you can cheese that with backup saves easily ofc ;)

and i checked another profile and they also did the chain dash very early, so it seems to be possible early in the game somehow

i was also thinking about those, but someone already got the plat and they did the chain-dash basically first: http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5117-Hyper-Light-Drifter/VlETNAM-?order=date

also seems like they did the "without dying" on the first run... pretty sure you can cheese that with backup saves easily ofc ;)

and i checked another profile and they also did the chain dash very early, so it seems to be possible early in the game somehow

The game seems unforgiving with deaths. If you don't quit to menu and exit the game properly, upon restarting the red blurry death animation will play.

And I guess chain dash can be done the moment you get it really, but I get up to about 50 and bounce off a wall. Ugh...

Edited by givingtheguid

The game seems unforgiving with deaths. If you don't quit to menu and exit the game properly, upon restarting the red blurry death animation will play.

so quitting to dashboard counts as a death? that would be hardcore ;)

then you would have to backup your save to the cloud after you made some progress (and correctly saving/quitting ofc) and replay that part from the backup save if you died. 

similar to most "hardcore" mode games, like diablo3 or in divinity:original sin.

so quitting to dashboard counts as a death? that would be hardcore ;)

then you would have to backup your save to the cloud after you made some progress (and correctly saving/quitting ofc) and replay that part from the backup save if you died. 

similar to most "hardcore" mode games, like diablo3 or in divinity:original sin.

Mhm, if you do not go to menu to quit the game, the next time you fire it up Drifter will wake up from the ground with the red blur like he does after you die a normal death.

Very dicey. I'd be scared that my backup save I might somehow wake up with the red blur. I swear the first time I quit the game I did it by going to menu. The game told me I saved just a minute ago, and I forced a save by recharging on a teleport pad. And when I started it up the next day, the red animation played!

Edited by givingtheguid

Mhm, if you do not go to menu to quit the game, the next time you fire it up Drifter will wake up from the ground with the red blur like he does after you die a normal death.

perhaps this is just a visual thing and doesn't count as a death. but trying that would be rather costly if it doesn't work (unless you planned to do some more playthroughs anyways) ;)

are you using any of the guides on the steam page regarding trophies? especially for the collectibles etc?

perhaps this is just a visual thing and doesn't count as a death. but trying that would be rather costly if it doesn't work (unless you planned to do some more playthroughs anyways) ;)

are you using any of the guides on the steam page regarding trophies? especially for the collectibles etc?

It's from those helpful folks on Steam that I found it is in fact a death, and will count as one if you don't leave the game properly.

And yes, their guides are helpfull, except for those two trophies I made this whole tread about xD

• Like 1

The dash trophy isn't impossible (just did it myself). Two things that always causes me to fuck up though is me getting nervous (usually once I get to around 600 to 700) and my hand hurting.

So, I guess just keep calm and take breaks lol.

As for the no death run, haven't tried it yet.. If quitting the game will count as a death and you have to do the whole thing in one sitting,  I might have to postpone this. :unsure:

As for the no death run, haven't tried it yet.. If quitting the game will count as a death and you have to do the whole thing in one sitting,  I might have to postpone this. :unsure:

i really don't think it has to be in one sitting! that would be horrible :P

this was only about if _quitting to dashboard_ counts as a death! in most game you can cheese such stuff by just hard-quitting the game so it can't save your death.

this would mean ofc that even ONE game crash would lock you out of this trophy. the dev's seem to be very confident about the stability of their game, if that's the case. ;)

The No-Death Run is actually pretty doable. The thing is that it requires you to become a lot more thoughtful about, like, everything. I actually almost made it last night, but I got killed... by the final boss  :facepalm: . I'm going at it again right now (4th attempt), and it's made me learn a lot of stuff I think you guys would like to know.

So some tips:

1. Do New Game+. Most bosses and enemies have attacks that damage you for two points, so they can easily kill you in one hit, or combo you to death. Take NG+ to really learn the ins-and-outs of combat, something made better if you really challenge yourself with the arenas, or arena-like areas in the game. It also forces you to learn the patterns of these bosses. You also want to take this time to learn which moves you rely on for certain areas and enemies. This goes onto the next step...

2. Be smart about your route through the game and plan, speaking both spatially and progression-wise. Learn which areas and bosses you feel comfortable tackling and in whichever order. Memorize the map and snag every gearbit that doesn't put you at risk. Grab the moves that you think will help you out the most. For instance, I didn't get grenades until the South area, because I never felt I needed them except for when I fought the area's final boss (they disable his mines). Also, grabbing hidden Power Modules sometimes means you don't have to tackle the ones that really put you at risk, like the sliding block area in the North that can end your playthough in a second. It also means you can skip (I think at most) one out of the three mini-bosses in the South area (the guy with the floor that opens up is the hardest for me).

3. Take it easy, and slow down. This isn't a timed trophy, so it's best not to stress out. If you're low on medpacks, zap back home and find some. If you don't feel confident about the boss, go to another area until you do, go collect some gearbits and get the moves you think you need. Watch videos that describe strategies if you need to, and employ them.

4. And this one is definitely something I would've liked to know during my last playthough. Start up your finished NG+ file and practice the final boss. Do it as many times as you can and even try to psyche yourself out to make you think that this is the end of your no-death run. Force yourself to work under pressure, because trust me, the feeling that that platinum is about to show up on your screen after the hell you just went through will make you freak out, and could cost you the game like it did for me. 

5. If you die, Don't give up. Don't give up. Together with me and my baby, break the chains of love.

On another note, my boss order on the last playthrough was North (to get him out of the way), East, West, South's main boss, South's bullet hell guy, then South's scythe guy. I managed to skip the guy that charges at you. I explored the East, West, and North areas freely and jumped around a lot. Learn how to do the quickfire+sword combo if you haven't already. It's just R2, then your sword immediately after. It helps you take out maybe 50% of enemies in, like, a second.  

Hopefully this all helps. Also, my best advice for the 800 Dash trophy is to keep your eyes on the Drifter and try to take deep breaths. Try to achieve total Zen, and though it gets super intense at the end, keep at it, and know you have Become the Drifter.

Edited by JacktheNESNerd
  • Like 1

So I just quit to title using the in game menu and then selected the continue option and woke up with the screen flashing red with the Drifter waking up. Does that count as a death? I sure hope not because if it is then it needs to be done in one shot.

I think it's best to quit to title using the in game option and then close application just to be on the safe side. That's what I'll be doing.

So I just quit to title using the in game menu and then selected the continue option and woke up with the screen flashing red with the Drifter waking up. Does that count as a death? I sure hope not because if it is then it needs to be done in one shot.

I think it's best to quit to title using the in game option and then close application just to be on the safe side. That's what I'll be doing.

I've been doing that as well, and i STILL get that red fuzzy death animation. The people on steam say if it is red it WILL count as a death. Only one out of maybe 5 times I closed the application did he wake up with only a normal fuzzy distortion despite quitting to menu every time before closing the application.

I don't get it.

I'd recommend just getting as many upgrades as you can from getting gearbits that are on the safe side to get and then leave the bosses for last if you plan on doing a no death run.

EDIT: Also after finishing NG+, as long as you know how to play it safe and still do damage, the outfit you get from the dashing minigame isn't really necessary.

Edited by Sparky_Kitsune

I've been doing that as well, and i STILL get that red fuzzy death animation. The people on steam say if it is red it WILL count as a death. Only one out of maybe 5 times I closed the application did he wake up with only a normal fuzzy distortion despite quitting to menu every time before closing the application.

I don't get it.

This is what I was worried about. Might as well just do the whole thing in one go just to be safe. Thank god for the suspend feature lol.

As an update, I got The Dash Eternal.

It really is easier than I thought, but still annoying. I just muted the game and slipped into the zone.

congrats!

that was basically the tip i read on the internet somewhere... the dash sound actually tends to confuse you and mess up your timing.

someone said it's easier to mute the tv and just concentrate on the dash-counter in the bottom screen.

btw, something else: is there a point of no return or can you collect all the stuff at any time? even after beating the final boss perhaps?

congrats!

that was basically the tip i read on the internet somewhere... the dash sound actually tends to confuse you and mess up your timing.

someone said it's easier to mute the tv and just concentrate on the dash-counter in the bottom screen.

btw, something else: is there a point of no return or can you collect all the stuff at any time? even after beating the final boss perhaps?

You can always go back and collect stuff. Even after you beat the final boss, you can still warp out of the after credits scene and go where ever you want.

• Like 1

Question: Is there a difference between a wake up animation and the death wake up animation? Everyone says the death one is red and you get it even if you don't die and start up your save, but for me if I start up my save it's a pink-ish color instead. Is that a normal one?

Question: Is there a difference between a wake up animation and the death wake up animation? Everyone says the death one is red and you get it even if you don't die and start up your save, but for me if I start up my save it's a pink-ish color instead. Is that a normal one?

I got the One Shot trophy! Finally! So this is what I did to get it. Even if you get that red screen when you load back into the game it doesn't count as a death. Here what you should do.

When you reach a point of when you don't want to play anymore(want to take a break, etc.), save the game by standing on a warp point and hold triangle. This saves your game. Now exit to the title screen by selecting that option in the in game menu. Then close application. Manually upload your save file into the cloud. Just keep doing that. If you die immediately quit application and download the save data you uploaded. It'll be just like you didn't die. JUST MAKE SURE THE FILE YOU UPLOAD DOESN'T HAVE A DEATH!

IMPORTANT: Also make sure to change your setting so that save files don't get automatically uploaded. You don't want it to upload a save file that has a death by accident would we?

Next I'm gonna beat Hoarde Mode and then move onto new game+. Chances are I'm gonna get the Don't Give Up trophy(get this by dying 1000 times) on my that playthrough. I took a quick look by playing a few minutes into it and boy are you gonna die a lot in this. Everything pretty much one shots kills you. You also only have two health points!

Edited by Nano1124

I got the One Shot trophy! Finally! So this is what I did to get it. Even if you get that red screen when you load back into the game it doesn't count as a death. Here what you should do.

When you reach a point of when you don't want to play anymore(want to take a break, etc.), save the game by standing on a warp point and hold triangle. This saves your game. Now exit to the title screen by selecting that option in the in game menu. Then close application. Manually upload your save file into the cloud. Just keep doing that. If you die immediately quit application and download the save data you uploaded. It'll be just like you didn't die. JUST MAKE SURE THE FILE YOU UPLOAD DOESN'T HAVE A DEATH!

Did the same! Except I used a USB cos no PS Plus.

Aside from that, important thing for everyone to know is that quitting the game does not count as a death like most believe. The only time a death gets counted onto your save is as soon as you die.

Edited by Sparky_Kitsune

Good to know you can save a back up file just in case for the 0 death trophy! I am just starting the south area in ng+ honestly this "trains" you to play perfectly through the zones and boss fights as mostly everything kills in 1 shot. I feel pretty confident when going for the 0 death trophy after this shouldn't be an issue. The dash trophy will be my road block because my hand/forearm start to burn at around 350 dashes lol