How Does Causal Work?

I used to play solely ranked but I would get demoted so frequently I started playing casual more. I thought this would help me relax, but the last 5 games I just played consisted of the enemy team having at least 3 platinums and nothing less than gold. All that ended up happening was me getting more frustrated. So does casual just match you up with random people like I thought or is there an algorithm to it? 

Yeah casual is completely random, you may vs a few coppers one match and a full diamond team the next. Ranked has recently been updated so you will be up against players of your skill level. Not only your rank (Copper, Bronze etc) but also your k/d, time played and overall skill. Although in ranked you will still be put up against people of the same rank as you most of the time. If you are a gold you might find a bronze now and then due to that player in a party and vice versa. Personally I pretty much only play ranked now as I find it more rewarding and fair playing against people with the same skill level as me.