Have 15GB free space, not enough for 664MB DLC?!

ACBlackJ0ck

4 hours ago, ACBlackJ0ck said:

I'm trying to download an LA Noire DLC with a size of 664 MB but I keep getting the message that I don't have enough space, even though I have 15 GB! Why is this happening?

Actually, the amount of space on the hard drive is partitioned in a way depending on what devs set up. 

What does this mean?

For simple terms, Sony reserves about 20 - 30GB of hard drive space for Firmware updates. Now depending on the game/developers, they will reserve a certain amount for patches. For example - Elder Scrolls Online reserves 40GB of your hard drive for patches, even if there isn't one or not. Why? It's just how the OS/system works.

Ever wondered why patches can be installed/downloaded while your console is in "sleep" mode? It's not just because of the low power state, hard drive space has been reserved by the dev of your games to download/install patches without issues.

Sucks but it also depends on the game/devs.

9 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Actually, the amount of space on the hard drive is partitioned in a way depending on what devs set up. 

You're talking about PS4, @ACBlackJ0ck is talking about PS3. PS3 doesn't reserve space like that. PS3 only requires twice the download file size free so it can be installed.

AC, if you download certain products like a GOTY bundle nowadays, PSN Store can automatically add all the related content in the download queue. Not sure how L.A. Noire handles it, but if you already had the main game installed you can just go to the downloads list on PS3 and cancel any other downloads - or delete the packages if they downloaded already - apart from the one you actually want. Definitely 15GB is enough space to install a sole 664MB package on a PS3. When you download content, no matter which link, product page etc you download it from, it's always going to be the same base file in the same region so if parts are already installed, they don't need to be installed again.