what exactly is griefing?

Stargazer2600

This was a term i had never heard before until i started playing GTA V. From what I understand, its when you kill a person over, and over and over again and griefing can actually get your account suspended on PSN from what I understand. Now if the definition of griefing is what I think it is, then What would be the point of games like GTA where they kinda encourage killing other players. In games like CoD. If i happen just to come across that player 5 times in a row, then, is that grefing?

I tried looing online and no one really has a answer. So i thought id ask here

Edited by BlindMango

You just defined it. Griefing is intentionally hostile behavior towards another player to annoy or ruin their experience. Games like GTAV have a code of honor system. You are allowed to kill another player but you cannot focus on that one player exclusively or the code of honor system punishes you. You will get tagged by the system and marked for elimination as a bounty target AND you get a Bad Sport label put on you.

In games like Call of Duty, griefing comes in the form of camping, spawn killing, hacking, vocal harassment, and other generally annoying behavior. 

Edited by Tohru Kobayashi
  • Like 4

It's basically causing grief by being an asshole to other players. Adding on to what Tohru said, griefing can also come from team-killing and annoying your own teammates to the point where they either all mute you or kick you out. I remember this being very prominent in Halo 2 MP and the first Modern Warfare.