Any good tips for don't starve together

I have completed the game a couple weeks ago and have to say that it can take some time to understand what steps you have to take to survive. Firstly, try to figure out if you want to get the Platinum on your own or with other people. After playing together with other people I figured out it is (for me) way easier to survive in a solo game. 

For the game itself: Watch a YouTube video about the basics of the game (how/where to set up a base/farms etc.). Don’t go for the boss trophies right away (except the Deerclops), just try to survive for 75 days (after playing with different characters I found Wilson the easiest to begin with, he does not seem to have a negative sides). Some of the trophies will come naturally and some of them are easy to obtain if you are surviving easily. 

I had the most trouble to survive in the Summer season. What I eventually found to be the best way to get through, is by setting up a second (or third) base (+farm) inside a Cave. Try to farm a lot of blue Mushrooms well you are there to fill your Sanity and Health and you will be okay (as long as you are not at your base it will not burn down).

The bosses are actually really easy to kill if you collect all the Nitre and Rotten Eggs you can find/get to create Gunpowder and also use a Flute (don’t waste the Flute on anything else than the bosses). When you are going for the bosses you can look up how much health they have and calculate how much Gunpowder you need, Gunpowder does 200 dmg. Use the Flute to make them sleep and lay down and light the Gunpowder. Except the Ancient Guardian and Dragonfly it will be a one hit kill.

*edit: After seeing your profile I do not know if these tips can help you because they are mostly Trophy based and you don't really seem to go for them.  Anyway, hopefully some of it helps ?

Edited by AshesToSnow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AshesToSnow said:

The bosses are actually really easy to kill if you collect all the Nitre and Rotten Eggs you can find/get to create Gunpowder and also use a Flute (don’t waste the Flute on anything else than the bosses). When you are going for the bosses you can look up how much health they have and calculate how much Gunpowder you need, Gunpowder does 200 dmg. Use the Flute to make them sleep and lay down and light the Gunpowder, expect the Ancient Guardian and Dragonfly it will be a one hit kill.

I believe with the second part of the New Reign update that went live around 4th July, the gunpowder trick to killing the bosses has been nerfed.  I've taken the below from the patch notes that were on Klei forums

• Giants and ANR bosses now gain temporary resistance against excessive damage from explosives. The base amount of damage from explosives is still the same, and the first stack of explosives will still do full damage. Subsequent stacks of explosives will do reduced damage until the temporary resistance begins fading after a few seconds.

28 minutes ago, AshesToSnow said:

I have completed the game a couple weeks ago and have to say that it can take some time to understand what steps you have to take to survive. Firstly, try to figure out if you want to get the Platinum on your own or with other people. After playing together with other people I figured out it is (for me) way easier to survive in a solo game. 

For the game itself: Watch a YouTube video about the basics of the game (how/where to set up a base/farms etc.). Don’t go for the boss trophies right away (except the Deerclops), just try to survive for 75 days (after playing with different characters I found Wilson the easiest to begin with, he does not seem to have a negative sides). Some of the trophies will come naturally and some of them are easy to obtain if you are surviving easily. 

I had the most trouble to survive in the Summer season. What I eventually found to be the best way to get through, is by setting up a second (or third) base (+farm) inside a Cave. Try to farm a lot of blue Mushrooms well you are there to fill your Sanity and Health and you will be okay (as long as you are not at your base it will not burn down).

The bosses are actually really easy to kill if you collect all the Nitre and Rotten Eggs you can find/get to create Gunpowder and also use a Flute (don’t waste the Flute on anything else than the bosses). When you are going for the bosses you can look up how much health they have and calculate how much Gunpowder you need, Gunpowder does 200 dmg. Use the Flute to make them sleep and lay down and light the Gunpowder. Except the Ancient Guardian and Dragonfly it will be a one hit kill.

*edit: After seeing your profile I do not know if these tips can help you because they are mostly Trophy based and you don't really seem to go for them.  Anyway, hopefully some of it helps 1f605.png

Thanks for the tips I don't use this account anymore I only use it for the forums on here. I have a trophy hunting account and it's name is Exodus525 

23 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I believe with the second part of the New Reign update that went live around 4th July, the gunpowder trick to killing the bosses has been nerfed.  I've taken the below from the patch notes that were on Klei forums

Yeah, you are right, my bad sorry. That update came 1 day after I completed the game, therefore I did not know that haha. My English is not that good, but if I read the update log well the damage of one stack of 40 Gunpowder does the same amount of damage (8k) and I did not see any other buff Bosses buff. I have looked up what that means for the bosses and it seems that the Deerclops, Beager, Moose/Goose still can get one shotted (they require 30 or less Gunpowder). For the other two Bosses this means you lay down one stack at a time, then use the flute, etc.

Edited by AshesToSnow

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Getting close to the platinum so I thought I'd add my notes for more recent players. The basics of the game are managing your 3 meters (health, hunger, and sanity) with a bunch of environmental threats constantly being pitted against you, each of which can pose a danger to one or more of those meters. Fighting monsters will lower your health and sanity. Your hunger will fall over time. At night, being in the complete darkness without a light source will kill you within a minute (there is a monster named 'Charlie' that attacks you in the dark). So your first priorities (in order) are making sure you have a light source for the first few nights, avoiding combat, and acquiring food. To acquire a light source, you'll want the materials to make a torch or a campfire: sticks, grass, and logs (for campfire). Various types of food can be found growing in the world. (focus on berries, seeds, and carrots at first because many other ingredients require cooking to eat safely). Gradually learn or research the best ways to restore hunger, health, and sanity so you can deal with unlucky situations as they arise, because they happen a lot!

Once your situation is stable with food/lighting (this can all be completed within the first in-game day), you want to start looking for a spot to make a semi-permanent camp. So constantly wander around while gathering resources, looking for a spot to call home. There's lots of guides on best campsites locations/designs but the basics are a making a farm, 1-2 permanent fire pits, crock pots, meat drying racks, storage chests, and a science machine -> alchemy engine. So learn how to make each of those in the crafting menu and start collecting the resources necessary to gradually expand! Once your camp is properly set up (this can be done by day 10-15), you'll want to start preparing for winter (usually starts day 20) with warm clothing and thermal stones. In the fall, you will probably experience 2-3 hound waves, which are when a mob of hounds chases you to the ends of the earth and continues attacking you. For the first 1-2, it's easiest to use a neutral mob like beefalo or pigmen to help you fight the hounds, but it's worth making preparations for combat early anyway. And that's the flow of the game. Manage your 3 meters, build your base, prepare for the next season, regularly deal with the threats coming at you, and have fun!

There's plenty of specific how-to guides out there, but these are just some tips for new players to start figuring things out. Besides that, just know that some characters have strengths and weaknesses so picking ones that don't have any glaring weaknesses will make learning the game easier. I'd recommend Woodie or Wilson for that. You can also downgrade the difficulty of the game when creating a world to lessen hostile mobs, make resources grow faster, and decrease the frequency of dangerous scenarios like hound waves, frog rains, thunderstorms, nighttime length, or difficult season length. (Summer is the hardest season, followed by spring, then winter, and Fall is the easiest - which is the season worlds start in). Lessening the difficulty doesn't affect trophies at all but just know some bosses and useful drops are tied to those difficulties so it might have downstream effects if you choose to avoid everything!

• Like 2