No longer VR exclusive.

Slipknot_rooney

So for those of you who may not already know, Eve: Valkyrie will be playable without a VR headset.  

On September 26th 2017 CCP will be releasing the Warzone update, bringing a new fleet of ships, some new game modes and the ability to play with or without a VR headset, and yes, players with a headset will be playing with and against those without a headset.

Here is a link to the site for more info: https://www.evevalkyrie.com/warzone

This video by Playstation Access explains it all very well. 

• Like 1

Hmmm. Interesting.

I wonder if this game is simply an outlier, or perhaps signals a shift in the cycle of VR? 

I had wondered if the efforts made by developers in producing VR games would simply be lost when VR begun to fail - if this modification is possible then it could be a glimmer of hope for the longevity of that work past the end of the industry's VR experiments?

It would be a shame if those VR games ended up virtually (pardon the regrettable pun!) disappearing after VR dies out. There were some genuinely interesting and innovative Kinnect games, but they pretty much vapourised after that technology died out. PSMove games did too, despite a couple of cool ones.

I, for one, would very much like to see those games - that were developed for VR in good faith - able to be preserved and played and have a life beyond the short existence VR seems destined to have, as some of the devs involved have done very interesting things - their work deserve an audience, and not to fail just because VR itself was a misstep.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I haven't played many VR games, only a handful. But Eve: Valkyrie is definitely one of the better games and VR is perfect for it. 

I think the biggest reason for getting non VR owners into the game is to raise the player base numbers. At the moment it's likely you'll be paired with Veteran pilots who have put hundreds of hours into the game and players like me who are average at best end up being ripped to shreds. It gets tedious and a chore to play so I end up quitting for a while which is a shame because the game really is very good.

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

their work deserve an audience, and not to fail just because VR itself was a misstep

I agree. I don't hear much talk on VR anymore though, although Gameranx did release a video the other day called "What happened to VR?". A lot of people in the comments were adamant that VR is actually doing very well.

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

if this modification is possible then it could be a glimmer of hope for the longevity of that work past the end of the industry's VR experiments

I think it depends on the game. Eve: Valkyrie will work in 2D (Balancing is another issue). Farpoint could be made into a standard FPS? But then games like Headmaster  or Until Dawn: Rush of Blood rely heavily on the headsets and I can't imagine them working without it. Maybe it could be done, I'm just thinking of the top of my head, after 1AM...

But anyway, hopefully this new update does boost the player base somewhat, it's great that people without a headset will be able to try it out now. 

• 1 month later...

Everyone was always able to enjoy it, they just had to buy the PSVR headset.

Or another way to look at it, is its still not able to be enjoyed by everyone because not everyone has a PS4.

And for anyone who thinks VR is failing, just take a look at all the games coming out in the next 6 months, PSVR is far from failing, or dying out anytime soon, Sony is putting much more into the VR headset then they ever did with the vita (RIP).

Edited by Berzerkgod313