Which is the superior Survival-horror game? Resident evil 7 or The evil within 2?

kerck11

Down below are my own pros and cons on both games: Jumpscares are not include because they are shit and unappealing to me

RE7 pros

-Survival-horror

-Item management

-Limited supplies

-Captured the essence of the first 3 main games

-all boss fights are entertaining as hell and kind of unique

RE7 cons

-regular enemies and some areas (especially the Ship section) are very boring and repetitive 

-main character is bland as hell

-limited ways to dispose enemies except bosses

-the story had no connection to previous games except the easter eggs

-season pass

Evil within 2 pros

-has this Resident evil 4 and silent hill 2 vibe which is great

-its story is still somewhat connected to its predecessor 

-has many option on how to dispose 

different types of enemies specially the regular and special enemies

-item management (kinda)

-limited supplies

-no boring areas or story for me

-no DLCs (hopefully)

Evil within 2 cons

-bosses are boring especially the final boss

-the dialogues are just bad

-the are some glitches, on my run, Sebastian slides 50 feet away from the enemy after he got hit

-there are times where I couldn't open doors or grab items (response was delayed)

Both games covered up the mess of the recent game/s that came before them 

What are your thoughts?

Edited by kerck11

Resident Evil 7

The Evil Within 2 turned me off completely when I found myself with a list of "quests" to complete.  I can't think of another survival horror game with quite so many open world RPG-lite tropes (maybe it's more Silent Hill-ish? I never got into those).  I guess I can't say it isn't survival horror since the genre actually shares quite a bit with open world games (exploration, backtracking, etc)... but they went too far IMO.  I mean, a main story segment actually had me wandering around the map from quest marker to quest marker to proceed "tracking" someone.  It doesn't get much more "generic open world time wasting" than that, felt like I was playing Dying Light... or Dead Island... or Dead Rising... or State of Decay.  The same game made 100 times over.  The series was better off staying linear, and TEW2 lost a lot of the flavor the first game had in the process.

EDIT: RE7 was basically the quintessential survival horror game by the standards Resident Evil set anyways.  There's limited supplies and inventory management.  There's exploration and backtracking, but in more confined, claustrophobic settings (a less "open" world)... which is not only better from a horror perspective, but more in-line with what I think I'd expect from the genre.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Resident Evil 7

The Evil Within 2 turned me off completely when I found myself with a list of "quests" to complete.  I can't think of another survival horror game with quite so many open world RPG-lite tropes (maybe it's more Silent Hill-ish? I never got into those).  I guess I can't say it isn't survival horror since the genre actually shares quite a bit with open world games (exploration, backtracking, etc)... but they went too far IMO.  I mean, a main story segment actually had me wandering around the map from quest marker to quest marker to proceed "tracking" someone.  It doesn't get much more "generic open world time wasting" than that, felt like I was playing Dying Light... or Dead Island... or Dead Rising... or State of Decay.  The same game made 100 times over.  The series was better off staying linear, and TEW2 lost a lot of the flavor the first game had in the process.

EDIT: RE7 was basically the quintessential survival horror game by the standards Resident Evil set anyways.  There's limited supplies and inventory management.  There's exploration and backtracking, but in more confined, claustrophobic settings (a less "open" world)... which is not only better from a horror perspective, but more in-line with what I think I'd expect from the genre.

I agree with you too. That "Open world" aspect of Evil within 2 is just not really associated with survival horror genre. The Evil within 1 is closer or really a survival horror. Plus side of Evil within 2 is that its pretty straight forward to proceed to its story if you ignore its trophies. 

1 hour ago, kerck11 said:

I agree with you too. That "Open world" aspect of Evil within 2 is just not really associated with survival horror genre. The Evil within 1 is closer or really a survival horror. Plus side of Evil within 2 is that its pretty straight forward to proceed to its story if you ignore its trophies. 

Well, in my brief time with The Evil Within 2 anyways... even the story "quests" followed familiar open world tropes to a nauseating degree at times (like I said with the one objective to wander from marker to marker "tracking" someone).  Not to mention it's a harder game (the first one was anyways) than others of it's ilk, so while it's not required to do optional side content for supplies... I'd venture it's probably highly recommended to do some of them at some point.

Which is another ball buster IMO... I'd rather the "make do with what I get" approach of the first game, over feeling obligated to grind side content so I'm not falling behind before I even start.

Edited by Dreakon13