Star Wars Battlefront II single player campaign length estimated at 5-7 hours

https://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2017/10/20/star-wars-battlefront-iis-single-player-campaign-will-last-5-7-hours/

In regards to the campaign’s length Robillard stated, “…we thought that around 5-7, maybe 8 hours is probably a good amount of time…we wanted to stay very driven towards the Star Wars fantasy that the players are going to experience and not have it be drawn out.” 

Discuss...

Personally, I'm not too bothered by this. I mean, the campaigns of Rogue Squadron 1-3 were all less than 8 hours in length.

I'm only going to play the game for the single player campaign, by the way. I pre-ordered the game but only because I could get it for €19 plus two used games.

The length sounds nice. I would personally pay triple the price of Journey rather than pay a quarter of the price of quite a few open world games. Hopefully Walt Williams and Mitchy D will deliver on a great Star Wars story. I'm still unsure on whether I'm going to pick this up. I was sure that I was going to pick it up on day one for quite a few months. Then EA closed down Visceral and I thought it was morally wrong to support Battlefront II if I was upset about it. Then the recent information about Visceral being in trouble and unstable for quite some time came out and now I'm not as upset at EA. I wish we knew a bit more about what is going on behind the curtains in the video game industry. Now I don't know whether I should buy this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Terra said:

Length means nothing as long as it's a well-told and engaging story. I'd rather have that then a 10-20 hour story with bland characters and repetitive gameplay. 

True. One of my favourite single player games from recent years (and one I keep replaying every so often), Portal 2, was just 7-8 hours long with little to do post-game unless you went for the co-op.

24 minutes ago, olimoo101 said:

The length sounds nice. I would personally pay triple the price of Journey rather than pay a quarter of the price of quite a few open world games. Hopefully Walt Williams and Mitchy D will deliver on a great Star Wars story. I'm still unsure on whether I'm going to pick this up. I was sure that I was going to pick it up on day one for quite a few months. Then EA closed down Visceral and I thought it was morally wrong to support Battlefront II if I was upset about it. Then the recent information about Visceral being in trouble and unstable for quite some time came out and now I'm not as upset at EA. I wish we knew a bit more about what is going on behind the curtains in the video game industry. Now I don't know whether I should buy this.

Sounds like the pickle I seem to be in myself.

I hate how EA has gotten the monopoly on Star Wars games and seems to deliver so, so little. We're over four years past this deal yet we've only seen two Battlefront titles (except for ports, pinball and LEGO, which have luckily been left out of the deal).

All the shitty things EA is doing kind of makes me want to not buy their games until they release something completely in line with my wants.

I might just settle for buying Battlefront through this (€19 plus two used games) deal and quickly selling it on after completing single player to someone who wants the multiplayer. This also means I will count as a person buying the game that does not spend on microtransactions; nice way of tipping the scale.

10 minutes ago, Cubone said:

Sounds like the pickle I seem to be in myself.

I hate how EA has gotten the monopoly on Star Wars games and seems to deliver so, so little. We're over four years past this deal yet we've only seen two Battlefront titles (except for ports, pinball and LEGO, which have luckily been left out of the deal).

All the shitty things EA is doing kind of makes me want to not buy their games until they release something completely in line with my wants.

I might just settle for buying Battlefront through this (€19 plus two used games) deal and quickly selling it on after completing single player to someone who wants the multiplayer. This also means I will count as a person buying the game that does not spend on microtransactions; nice way of tipping the scale.

Those are good points. Also, I'm sure publishers are always checking on statistics of their game including how many hours people are putting into online and how many hours people are putting into single player. So theoretically, If I was to only play the single player in Battlefront II then I may be labeled as a single-player-only customer and thus the money I used to buy the game would be recognised on the part of single player. I am constantly surprised at how much data companies are collecting from me that I don't know about. I was very surprised to receive the email at the end of last year from PlayStation telling me a whole bunch of statistics. Capcom and Sony also have the data to how much time I spent in my sessions of Resident Evil VII in VR. All I'm saying is that maybe in 2017 if you want to support single player games then maybe you don't have to outright boycott the game but rather keep on playing the single player of that game as you were.

This is all very theoretical, though. Just thinking out loud. Still haven't made my final decision.

1 minute ago, olimoo101 said:

Those are good points. Also, I'm sure publishers are always checking on statistics of their game including how many hours people are putting into online and how many hours people are putting into single player. So theoretically, If I was to only play the single player in Battlefront II then I may be labeled as a single-player-only customer and thus the money I used to buy the game would be recognised on the part of single player. I am constantly surprised at how much data companies are collecting from me that I don't know about. I was very surprised to receive the email at the end of last year from PlayStation telling me a whole bunch of statistics. Capcom and Sony also have the data to how much time I spent in my sessions of Resident Evil VII in VR. All I'm saying is that maybe in 2017 if you want to support single player games then maybe you don't have to outright boycott the game but rather keep on playing the single player of that game as you were.

This is all very theoretical, though. Just thinking out loud. Still haven't made my final decision.

I've made that choice as well. Not buying games with microtransactions tips the stats in favour of microtransactions. Lots of people should buy games with microtransactions, and then play without paying for microtransactions.

I'm not going to boycott Battlefront II because it has multiplayer or microtransactions, I'm going to get it and only play the single player campaign. Why I might boycott EA has reasons outside of Battlefront II.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cubone said:

I've made that choice as well. Not buying games with microtransactions tips the stats in favour of microtransactions. Lots of people should buy games with microtransactions, and then play without paying for microtransactions.

I'm not going to boycott Battlefront II because it has multiplayer or microtransactions, I'm going to get it and only play the single player campaign. Why I might boycott EA has reasons outside of Battlefront II.

Good discussion ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...