Should I restart?

Cyvnyde

Hi all

I'm currently playing through Veteran mode and am on "Heart of the Reich". I am stuck and need your input.

I'm on the part where you have to take out the Flak 88s. I have seen videos of people recommending to take out the first Flak located on the right and then the one on the left. However, I decided to take out the one on the left first due to it being more challenging to get to and thought that if I die then I wouldn't have to replay smashing the one on the right over and over again.

I managed to get to the one on the right by (luckily) running up to it, planting the C4 and then running away. I then dealt with the other one but this is where my issue comes in. It seems that because I didn't kill a lot of the enemies by the left Flak before I got the checkpoint, they're still there and continuing to respawn every 5 seconds after I kill them (literally). Not only that but there is a new wave of enemies in front of the crashed tank between me and the "safe house" in the middle ready to hand my ass to me. Since you only have a linear path in the level, I have to deal with around 10 constantly respawning enemies either in front of me or to my left, which also means 3-5 grenades every couple of seconds. As a result, it's near impossible to progress to the house in the middle, let alone to either of the remaining Flaks.

I've watched YT videos to try and help me with this part but none of them has anywhere near as many enemies to deal with as I seem to have.

Any input here would be appreciated. Am I missing something or should I just restart the level? Some of the other missions I have done have been tough yet doable but I have been stuck on this particular part for a number of hours now (probably tried it over 100 times now).

I apologize if my advice is bad, it's been years since I platinumed World at War, but have you tried using grenades to cover yourself momentarily? I think I used grenade explosions from my own grenades to temporarily halt their fire (for some reason I think they gave me brief moments of calm when they blew up in front of them or near me). This mission was a huge pain, and I'm not sure I'd suggest restarting until you have truly exhausted every option, because there is usually moments where you can slip by, even in the worst of situations. But don't get too frustrated, take breaks, and if you really need to, restarting won't be a terrible idea.

Yeah, I've tried spamming them with grenades and molotovs but the constant grenades and firing doesn't cease. The issue I'm finding is that there is a good 4-5 enemies in front of me and to my left. It wouldn't be so bad but it's the fact they respawn after a couple of seconds. It leaves no room to push forward.

This one is a a bit difficult and it is the hardest level on veteran in my opinion. My advice would be to take your time and you don't necessary need to use c4 because if I recall correctly if you can find a panzerschreck or whatever its called you can used that to destroy the flanks 88s however that didn't work for me but it may be possible. I followed a YouTube video but I can't remember which one it was but I think it had someone actually talking and explaining it bit by bit but I could be wrong and I assume you already seen it. Sorry I can't be more help but its been much to long since I got all the trophies. 

Also as a head up when you get to the end stay on the right side of the stairs before going up the door because a piece of the building breaks off and can fall and kill you so don't let that happen to you like it did me 

Hope it helps and good luck          

Thanks for the responses guys.

@dragon11gggg Typically I would agree that taking your time and pushing forward is the right approach. It's how I beat some of the harder missions like Burn 'em Out, Relentless and Blowtorch & Corkscrew. The difference here is that the enemies respawn very quickly and throw 3-5 grenades at you every couple of seconds that force you to retreat back and lose any progress you've made with pushing forward.

It's annoying that the Veteran trophies in the game are solo only. For something this difficult, you need a good team behind you. It seems your AI teammates are incapable of hitting anything and are there purely for show. They don't have your back and I have had multiple experiences of the enemy running directly past my teammates just to either shoot or melee me. It's incredibly frustrating and unbalanced.

I have come this far in veteran and am sure I will get it eventually. For a campaign this difficult, I'm surprised the platinum percentage for this game is as high as it is.

Edited by Cyvnyde

OK, I believe the reason I am being overrun with enemies (and grenades) is that after I destroyed the second Flak 88, I didn't get the checkpoint with the tank moving up. Apparently, this blocks off one of the enemy spawn points and makes pushing up a lot easier (going off the description in a YT video).

Back to the start of the mission I go... ?