EA Has Obtained Star Wars Rights....DICE Already Working On a Title

DanielVT

I'm torn by this news.

A part of me thinks this awesome (DICE developing a Star Wars game sounds great)

But another part has me worry that EA will beat the franchise like a dead horse (ala George Lucas with the prequel movies :shakefist:  )

Could not have said it any better!

Not sure how I feel about this news.

On one hand, putting a franchise like this with a giant behemoth of a company is probably the best play as it will at least mean the game will actually get released without any nasty surprises on the road to development. But on the other, EA are going to have to be -very- careful not to screw this up. They've been burned quite a bit with bad publicity recently and there isn't a huge amount of consumer confidence in them. Star Wars could be just what they need to get that back, if they do it properly.

I'm not an expert and could quite easily not have all the facts or context, but I'm pretty sure for this to work, they will need to dump a few 'habits' with the way they publish their other games.

1) Don't give the developer millions of dollars to make and promote the game, have some bizarrely unrealistic expecation on how much you think the game should make, then call it a failure because it didn't make all of your money back.

2) Don't agressively push a microtransaction system from the very beginning. Their might be a place for it, but right now, microtransactions are incredibly sensitive with a large chunk of the gaming community.

3) Don't try to find a way to 'insert' a multiplayer component because you feel like it will help facilitate a microtransaction store thus increasing the chances of it making millions and millions unrealistically

4) Don't put pressure on development cycles forcing the game to be released before it is fleshed out and polished

5) Don't make the PC version of the game exclusively available through Origin.