EA Has Obtained Star Wars Rights....DICE Already Working On a Title

DanielVT

Big BIG BIIIGGG news today. EA has obtained the rights from Disney to make Star Wars games. Several studios including DICE and Visceral games are hard at work on different games. With DICE being involved, I have zero doubt that we are going to see Star Wars Battlefront III running on next-gen systems and Frostbite 3. This is FREAKING awesome news/speculation, and if EA does this and well, I imagine people will see them more favorably as EVERONE wants a SWBIII!!!! Just think of all the new battle grounds we could see with the new Star Wars movies! Think playing with 64 players thanks to the power of the new consoles!!! DICE's signature destructible environments! The potentials are endless!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ea-acquires-star-wars-game-license

Star-Wars-Battlefront-3-Video-Footage.jp

Happy for fans if it is Battlefront III, although I probably won't buy it. Not a big Star Wars fan anymore

Completely agree. This last trilogy turned me from a die hard to just plain dead. Lucas whoring out the franchise in every possible direction was the last nail in the coffin.

Some Kinect Star Wars "YMCA" dancing anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MuJXaVrvpXE

• Like 1

They REALLY need to conclude the Force Unleashed series. II ended on such a cliffhanger.

I'd like to see 1313 picked back up or a quality Force Unleashed game. I missed out on Republic Commandos and would very interested to see what Dice could do with something like that. :hmm:

I'm not a Star Wars fan but this is exciting news, I'm gonna keep my eye on this one for sure.

My sentiment is actually the exact opposite of yours. I'm a Star Wars fan, but I loathe EA as a company, and I've been boycotting their products for several years. I guess I won't be buying any Star Wars games in the near future. 

I doubt it's Battlefront DICE is making - more likely, it's

[Don't forget - Battlefront was a 3rd person shooter..not 1st person.]

You might see Visceral making Battlefront [With DICE possibly handling the multiplayer aspect of the game] - they've got TPS experience with Dead Space. Obviously, Bioware would handle a new KotOR if they decide to make a game. Visceral could also take on 1313.

You could even see Criterion jumping into the fray, possibly - picture

, running on the Burnout engine. Edited by Fox

I doubt it's Battlefront DICE is making - more likely, it's

[Don't forget - Battlefront was a 3rd person shooter..not 1st person.]

You might see Visceral making Battlefront [With DICE possibly handling the multiplayer aspect of the game] - they've got TPS experience with Dead Space. Obviously, Bioware would handle a new KotOR if they decide to make a game. Visceral could also take on 1313.

You could even see Criterion jumping into the fray, possibly - picture

, running on the Burnout engine.

Battlefront featured a button to toggle first/third person, and aside from that small aspect it plays almost exactly like a reskinned Battlefield. I think that's the most likely product for them.

As for Criterion, I'm fairly sure they released a statement recently saying they were done for the foreseeable future with racing games. I could be mistaken, however.

I'm also of the mind that BioWare could be doing a new Old Republic game. Whether it's specifically a KotOR title or just general Old Republic, I'm not sure, but they're the likeliest candidate if it's a franchise EA intends to continue.

Not sure how I feel about this news.

On one hand, putting a franchise like this with a giant behemoth of a company is probably the best play as it will at least mean the game will actually get released without any nasty surprises on the road to development. But on the other, EA are going to have to be -very- careful not to screw this up. They've been burned quite a bit with bad publicity recently and there isn't a huge amount of consumer confidence in them. Star Wars could be just what they need to get that back, if they do it properly.

I'm not an expert and could quite easily not have all the facts or context, but I'm pretty sure for this to work, they will need to dump a few 'habits' with the way they publish their other games.

1) Don't give the developer millions of dollars to make and promote the game, have some bizarrely unrealistic expecation on how much you think the game should make, then call it a failure because it didn't make all of your money back.

2) Don't agressively push a microtransaction system from the very beginning. Their might be a place for it, but right now, microtransactions are incredibly sensitive with a large chunk of the gaming community.

3) Don't try to find a way to 'insert' a multiplayer component because you feel like it will help facilitate a microtransaction store thus increasing the chances of it making millions and millions unrealistically

4) Don't put pressure on development cycles forcing the game to be released before it is fleshed out and polished

5) Don't make the PC version of the game exclusively available through Origin.

Edited by Captain_Cutscene

I'm excited but very hesitant about this news, on the one hand it's STAR WARS such a big license that you shouldn't be able to screw it up, but the crap that has generally been released in the recent past has been atrocious to say the least.  (The same could be said about the Aliens franchise but that a whole different story)

I'm glad it's not Activision, any famous IP they touch turns to crap and the way they dealt with the Star Wars IP in the past which wasn't that great. I am concern about a few things that EA is handling the IP even though I'm content with it. I'll list em:

A) Micro-transaction everything: That was one of the turn offs for Dead Space 3 even though I got the DLC for it. I hope they learned their lesson from the decrease in sales.

B) MP like no tomorrow: Yeah everyone wants to be COD yet COD is messing up the industry. There are games being shutdown without notice aka Ghostbusters the game and games that are being shutdown earlier than expect aka WKC 2 US/EU servers. Still there are a few games for MP but every game don't need it. I'll list my pro on 1-2 type of Star Wars MP games later on.

C) Churning out Star Wars titles that are quantity than quality aka see Lucas Arts after Sam and Max Freelance Police cancellation era where LA produced crap Star Wars games. During LA era til the end 90% of those Star Wars titles blew to be honest and thus their demise happened. This includes FPSing SW games where it's not needed.

D) Not using past successes. Yes folks X-wing and Tie Fighter along with even XvT proves that good flight sims can draw people even XvT back in the day drew people to M$ The Zone for  uber MP funz. LA problem was they completely abandoned the good formula and went cheap. EA does that than Disney will find someone else after the deal expires.

Those are my concerns. Now I'll give some ideas on what's good SW games.

KOTOR 3: Yeah SWTOR wasn't an hit but KOTOR 3 with Bioware in full control will knock it out of the park. To me KOTOR 1 was BETTER than KOTOR 2. Believe me KOTOR 1 Bioware had full control and it rocked. Thus KOTOR 3 comes out believe me people will buy it.

XvT or X-wing type of Star Wars Games (Or Tie Fighter Type for you loyal, and making the right choice and right side Empire Loyal Fans): Yes modernize it and improve on it. Make a strong SP (X-wing and Tie Fighter) and improve on the faults of the MP. Just release a few free and pay DLC missions to get people going. I played XvT for about 9+ months at the time before moving on and that was longer than 6 months of Diablo 1.

A new type of Battlefront Star Wars games: Visceral to me one be the ones doing this. Hell add both sides in the game to play as to get people going and if your going To MP it again make SP strong as heck and MP unique.

I am going to when it's out unless it's an Bioware game is to wait on a bunch of info and make my own choices before buying into Star Wars again. I don't want another Force Unleased 2 where it's sitting in my pile waiting to plat and being stored in the warehouse where the Ark is to never be played again.